Reviewer needed to see free UK U23D preview

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Folks! I got several emails. Thanks!

I am expecting a review if you get to go!

Please check your email for your invite. If you were one of the first lucky people to reply, you have mail.

If you do not hear back from me with a green light, I am so sorry!

best,
A

Right, they told me the guest list has been full for the last couple of days, but I won't surrender: I am going now (it's only on the other side of the river for me) with my invite and hope someone ( :camera: ) will not show up so that I can fill his shoes.

Wish me luck everybody!

Well, thanks to Anu I got to go and have a free viewing of U23D at the IMAX in Waterloo. This was actually the first 3D film i'd ever been to see, so was looking really looking forward to it!

The film opened with shots of the excited crowd running into the stadium in slow motion, then the band appear - huge in front of my eyes and VERTIGO opens the show. As I said, having not been to a 3D cinema before I was suprised by many things right away. The camera's zooming in on Edge, Bono and Adam individually - I had to refrain from lifting up my hand and reaching out to one of them! The overhead shots of Larry that were also used on the Chicago DVD were even better here. His slicked-back greasy hair shining in the light! I loved the ending to this performence - instead of Bono singing the last "..I can feeeeel, feeeeeeel" he just let the crowd go on singing the "woah-woah-woah" part over and over, which was something new to me and a different way of ending the song before the "yeah yeah yeah's".
BEAUTIFUL DAY was up next. A standard performence of the song really with Bono commenting on a "beautiful night" towards the end. Adam's familiar riff then erupted and NEW YEARS DAY began. He owned this performence, as he often does and it was great to see some of the fans in the crowd 'worshipping' him whilst he played just feet away from them. SYCMIOYO followed, dedicated of course to Bob Hewson. A stunning effort from Bono I thought, particularly on the "siiiiiiiiing" part. LAPOE was a real knockout. Edge and Larry were really sounding heavy on this one. Bono going mad on the drums was a great sight as it always is, and leads well into SUNDAY, BLOODY SUNDAY. The crowd were going mad up the front for this one, and there actually seemed to be a bit of a mosh pit going on! I know they love their metal down that way, so it's cool to see them rockin' out. The "no more" cries between Bono and the crowd were good too. BULLET up next. It was good to watch this in 3D but the performence was still as boring as all the ones i've seen and heard from the Vertigo tour. Edge's solo is just so dull - bring back the ZooTV performence! Bono crouched down and hugged Adam's leg at one point, that was the highlight for me. It was soon over though and MISS SARAJEVO was to follow. The camera panned around Edge for the opening piano notes and then Bono began. He was on top form for this song, and hit the long opera notes right on - with a well deserved applause from the crowd. The HUMAN RIGHTS SPEECH was the next link and as some people on here may know, i'm not a great fan of Bono's preaching during gigs. I am fully behind what he chooses to do when away from the recording studio or touring with the band though. This is different anyway, it isn't Bono going on and on and on - it's over very quickly! PRIDE kicked in nice and hard and I noticed the people in the audience around me tapping their feet for the first time! Bono donned his black suit jacket leftover from the ZooTV tour and the song was played well. Simple as that. Aside from the music one thing I noticed during this was someone in the crowd right in front of my face, that i'd seen a few other times during the gig - they were on someones shoulders with their back to the camera. I was convinced it was a topless girl, so was rather dismayed during Pride to see their front and discover them to be a very hairy chested guy! Anyway...STREETS was next and the crowd were ecstatic. I was too really - I found myself singing along for the first time during the showing. Only quietly tho! The whole band were on song, and Larry's veins in his arms looked almost at bursting point! I really liked when Bono sang "It's all I wanna do..." instead of "It's all I can do." That sounded good. And of course there was 'the kiss'. Bono on Adam, lovely stuff. ONE started beautifully, with Edge's latest guitar intro sounding gorgeous. No real preaching from Bono here, just wanting everyone to "shine a light." A great version and the close-ups on the crowd showed how much they were loving the song, one guy even looked close to tears. Encore began with the ZooTV montage - looking great in 3D and Bono asking "Where is the fly?" before Edge rips into the opening riff. Awesome. The outro was great as you watched the huge 3D figures of the band jamming together, just like they were in the studio. Brilliant. Even though Bono was wearing that silly hat! I was never really gonna enjoy WOWY, after hearing so many versions of it from the Vertigo tour. It really does nothing for me anymore. The crowd loved it tho, it's always gonna be a fave for the women who are right up close in front of Bono! His glasses came off...but only for a few seconds. Towards the end of the song he went mental as he approached the mic and I thought "here we go...shine like stars!!" but no, just a few last "woah-woahs." Shame. End of show. All over. Just left for Bono to announce that they will never forget this night, before the credits roll and YAHWEH is played over. I stayed in my seat as I knew from previous reviewers on here that you get to see a bit more. And sure enough, there is one final glimpse of the band, before Bono ends the song with the amended lyric "take this city's heart and keep it safe" which I love.

All in all, a great concert which looks absolutely superb. For my first 3D experience, I couldn't have wished for anything better than this.

Thanks once again to Interference for giving me the chance to go.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom