Renewing your U2 subscription....Beware!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eddieg710

The Fly
.....BEWARE!! Your membership date has changed!! The subscription is as of the day you renew.

For example...........

My current subscription date ends Dec 11, 2007.
I renewed my sucscription today Nov 20, 2007.
My new subscription date is good thru Nov 20, 2008.
It should be Dec 11, 2008

I know it only three weeks but they should add a year to your subscription date rather than the day you order it.

Agreed??

Yep, mine was due 12/1/07 and now it says 11/20/08. I don't think that happened last year. I might wait until the renewal dust settles and then call fanfire. I wouldn't care, except the way they screw up the renewals every year I need as many days before expiration as possible to renew.

That's bogus. They should set the next renewal date to a year after this one, not penalize you for being early, that's how every other fan club I'm in works. Definitely call Fanfire to get that fixed.

How is that I'm not surprised something like this is happening to U2.com members? Sad.

It works both ways, though. I was about 4 or 5 days late on renewing, but they let me renew at the subscriber rate and I now have 4 extra days on my subscription dates. :shrug:

A bonus for those who renew early is that you can use your coupon from last year to renew if you haven't already used it.

Utoo said:
A bonus for those who renew early is that you can use your coupon from last year to renew if you haven't already used it. [/B]

I don't think you can use the coupon/code for the subscription.

Wow, another U2.com stuff up. This is getting overly mundane and predictable. :|

I just renewed. Got a Slane CD and a Slane t-shirt as my "free" gifts.

I used last year's coupon (yes it is allowed) so I only paid $24 for a 12 month subscription which allows me to keep my place on the preferred concert list, another 25% discount coupon plus the 2 free gifts.

It's not all bad folks.

chocky said:
I just renewed. Got a Slane CD and a Slane t-shirt as my "free" gifts.

I used last year's coupon (yes it is allowed) so I only paid $24 for a 12 month subscription which allows me to keep my place on the preferred concert list, another 25% discount coupon plus the 2 free gifts.

It's not all bad folks.

Considering how infrequently U2 tours, I see the charge as exorbitant if you really just want preferential ticketing. With the money spent on U2.com membership during the downtime, you could instead buy a ticket to one more concert.

And the "gifts" are largely stuff that diehard fans - i.e. the target audience of such a subscription - already have. They don't exactly put in any effort to provide subscribers with something worthwhile.

Axver said:

And the "gifts" are largely stuff that diehard fans - i.e. the target audience of such a subscription - already have.

Hmmm...? Exactly where can these diehard fans get their 25% discount coupons, official Slane CDs and a special edition t-shirts without getting a U2 subscription?

And seriously Axver... $24 (including shipping costs) is hardly "exorbitant".

U2.com is not everyone's cup of tea. But most collectors wouldn't think twice before shelling out $24 for a Slane CD and t-shirt in their local K-Mart or record store. I've paid a shit-load more than that before - and that's for bootlegs! Preferred ticketing, the discount coupon, web exclusives and other future opportunites are icing.

I renewed last week, and am very surprised in how easy it is to put an order in for the T-shirt and cd after the fact. I think the gifts are decent.

I'm wondering which t-shirt got the most hits. Anyone?

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:
Why do you guys need a Slane CD if you already have the dvd? :huh:

Why do I have 'Under a Blood Red Sky' on vinyl, cassette, CD, VHS and Betamax?

Why is my 'All I Want is You' cassingle/7" bundle still sealed? Ditto the 'Discotheque' CD/badge bundle? And the Mofo CD/poster bundle...

Why did I spend $500 on a 'Best of 1980-1990' box set containing 14 vinyl singles when I have the same tracks on a CD and DVD?

It's about collecting :nerd:

chocky said:

Hmmm...? Exactly where can these diehard fans get their 25% discount coupons, official Slane CDs and a special edition t-shirts without getting a U2 subscription?

And seriously Axver... $24 (including shipping costs) is hardly "exorbitant".

Where can you get the Slane CD? By ripping the audio from the DVD you already own. Free, easy-to-use software is only a simple Google search away. Now which would you prefer, Slane audio for $0 or Slane audio for $24?

And sure, $24 isn't that bad ... until you consider that you're paying that price (or more, if you use your coupon for something else) over a period of four years to get tickets to just one concert. It quickly adds up to the point that had you not bought the U2.com subscriptions over the four year period, you could actually have afforded a ticket to 1-2 more concerts bought through the general sale. Which is better value, more concerts or "gifts" that clearly show a lack of effort to provide diehard fans with something genuinely new? I suppose that's for the individual to decide, but I think the answer's obvious.

eddieg710 said:

I don't think you can use the coupon/code for the subscription.

You couldn't in past years, but you can this year...as long as it hasn't expired. Even though the FAQ says you can only use the coupon in the store, this hasn't appeared to be the case in the last few days.

zitherglow said:
can someone quote me something official that you will get priority ticketing next tour?

The last official word said that you would NOT get any presale codes. That may change, but I wouldn't sign up just for that possibility.

Currently, this is what the FAQ reads:
Q: If I renew my U2.Com subscription, will I receive a ticket access code for pre-sale tickets?

A: If I renew my U2.Com subscription, will I receive a ticket access code for pre-sale tickets?

The answer used to say "no," and it's been changed....but not to an answer. The fact that it's been changed may indicate that they've been thinking about something related to presale codes...but it may also just be another u2.com blunder. Again, if you're spending forty bucks for the off-chance of presale codes, it's probably not economically worthwhile. If you need to spend money on all things U2 ( :reject: ) and would be content if in the future you may or may not get a presale code, then go for it.

Yes, you would have to be content signing up knowing that in the future you may not be offered any help in getting tour tickets. This being said, do you know of any major bands that do not offer fanclub presales or priority? Can you see this band going down a road (specifically Larry) where they isolate themselves completely from offering tickets to genuine fans? I doubt it. We'll see what happens next tour.

Utoo said:
You couldn't in past years, but you can this year...as long as it hasn't expired. Even though the FAQ says you can only use the coupon in the store, this hasn't appeared to be the case in the last few days.

Actually, the FAQ's still correct. You buy a membership subscription through the U2.com store. Hence, you're able/allowed to the the subscription coupon.

I just renewed early and seem to have lost a month of my membership as well. :| It was easy to use the code for my discount and select the shirt and cd though, and I had to order early because my coupon expired in a few days so I couldn't wait til closer to my membership expiration. I emailed them so we'll see if they change it. :shrug:

Axver said:
Where can you get the Slane CD? By ripping the audio from the DVD you already own. Free, easy-to-use software is only a simple Google search away. Now which would you prefer, Slane audio for $0 or Slane audio for $24?

If you're talking about official audio CDs, then the full Slane audio is only available on the U2.com gift (some tracks were released before on another promo). Yes, some people still care for officially released stuff. An official CD is not the same as a downloaded or burned CD.
Also, as we get 2 gifts this time, so that would be Slane audio for $12. That's a steal!

And sure, $24 isn't that bad ... until you consider that you're paying that price (or more, if you use your coupon for something else) over a period of four years to get tickets to just one concert. It quickly adds up to the point that had you not bought the U2.com subscriptions over the four year period, you could actually have afforded a ticket to 1-2 more concerts bought through the general sale.

That is, IF you can get that extra ticket at face value through the general sale. You've been around long enough to know how big the demand is for U2 tickets.

Which is better value, more concerts or "gifts" that clearly show a lack of effort to provide diehard fans with something genuinely new? I suppose that's for the individual to decide, but I think the answer's obvious.

As a collector, I can't give a ready answer. I want their officially released stuff. So paying $24 for that isn't much. It's better than paying $100 for the same item on eBay. :)
And yes, a concert is a very good value too. So when they come around, I make sure I can catch them as much as possible. Sometimes you can have both. (or rather, you have to have both)

:wink:

bonocomet said:
I just renewed early and seem to have lost a month of my membership as well. :| It was easy to use the code for my discount and select the shirt and cd though, and I had to order early because my coupon expired in a few days so I couldn't wait til closer to my membership expiration. I emailed them so we'll see if they change it. :shrug:

For everyone whose renewal date has moved, see this thread in their Tech Support forum: http://www.u2.com/bbs/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3607704

Popmartijn said:

Actually, the FAQ's still correct. You buy a membership subscription through the U2.com store. Hence, you're able/allowed to the the subscription coupon.

So wise! :wink:

Roland of Gilead said:
Yes, you would have to be content signing up knowing that in the future you may not be offered any help in getting tour tickets. This being said, do you know of any major bands that do not offer fanclub presales or priority? Can you see this band going down a road (specifically Larry) where they isolate themselves completely from offering tickets to genuine fans? I doubt it. We'll see what happens next tour.

But why would you have faith that U2.com would give you PREFERENTIAL/PRIORITY ticketing for being a member years longer than someone who signs up for membership today? They have a tough time, it would seem from this thread , getting the dates right on the terms of people's membership and renewal. Also, since the 2005 debacle, I make a clear distinction between the band and the website. So while I don't see Larry specifically isolating the band from the fans, I see u2.com perfectly capable of doing so.

zitherglow said:

But why would you have faith that U2.com would give you PREFERENTIAL/PRIORITY ticketing for being a member years longer than someone who signs up for membership today?

Because this is exactly what happened when there was a problem in 2005. U2 had to go back and give preferential/priority status to Propaganda members on the site. I got tickets to two separate shows because of this. Because to correct the problem, U2 did give me preferential treatment.
Are U2 with u2.com destined to repeat this problem? I don't think so. They'd really loose a lot a people then. They'll go straight to a preferential/priority method or repeat the problem in 2005. ...and if they repeat the same problem, they'll come back to those same Propaganda members who were active at the time and offer another show.

Maybe I should be hoping this happens again. Kidding. ;-)

The renewal concerns at u2.com have nothing to do with my or anyone's status. There is a membership number right below your messageboard name. That number indicates when you signed up compared to everyone else. The renewal date in your profile is separate from this. Also, u2. com have a record of who was an active Propaganda member when the site went live.

Again, I'm not saying this is going to happen or this is the way it is going to be. It is anybody's guess. I take it I'm just more hopeful than others.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom