New U2 Album Discussion (alt title: Lose Your Will To Live Here)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since you asked, I'll explain it to you: They are preoccupied with writing hits. When they were good, they did not feel the need to compromise.

:lol: You really don't know this band do you?

U2 are perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really, Radiohead have good ideas but U2 are stuck in the old, irrelevant world.

OK, and seriously...Duran Duran love and "radiohead are shit"...says it all about current U2 fans. I guess you can't see that radiohead occupy the space once held by U2.

Duran Duran are a fuckin joke.

:lol: you're sad...

I wish Bono would make a statement, just to set things straight. :wink:

He's still working: :giggle:

'Shoot the Boer': U2's Bono clears the air

Meanwhile, Bono revealed that he had written a song called Breathe about former president Nelson Mandela, which he said was written a while ago but he only remembered it yesterday morning.

“I just had a thought this morning, it’s a song people have heard the melody for but the lyrics they’d never heard. I don’t know, it just came into my mind this morning, probably because the great Nelson Mandela, Madiba is fragile at the moment … I wrote it about him.”

Then we'll have two Breathe songs.

The band could have played that version at one of the South Africa shows.

Another missed opportunity. More important to get all those ATYCLB songs in there.

Someone want to tally up U2 mentions vs. Radiohead mentions in this thread so far?

A simple thread search results 36 U2 results and 23 Radiohead results.

Well, make that 37 results for The Hype and 24 for them Radio people.

Dont know if that includes quoting as well.

Larry Mullen Jnr. to Join Cast of 'GLEE', Band's Longtime Drunken McManager Confirms.

Rumored U2 Album (May 2011) Supposedly Able To "Move Mountains", yet Clayton & Edge Remain Coy "Maybe...We'll See"

Jesus Christ.

I don't think it's out of line for someone to criticise U2 for the way they handle things, while suggesting maybe they could learn a few things from Radiohead.

I'm not sure Jesus is involved in record labels any more. I think he went on to studios.

:)

As for U2, what exactly are they supposed to learn?

U2 have released now two concerts for free online. I haven't seen any other act show an entire concert for free online (and if there are other artists doing this, none of U2's caliber in terms of "superstardom").

U2 have had plenty of special deals through iTunes - in fact, some iTunes packages contain songs that one cannot get with the CD purchase! Duran Duran is giving a "teaser" on iTunes with the promise of more on CD. U2 is the innovative one here.

Should U2 be label free? It's arguable. What advantages do they gain? As was noted earlier, U2 still sells a lot of CD's. NLOTH went Platinum in the U.S. and sold about 4M copies worldwide in 2009. That makes it one of few albums that went Platinum in the U.S. that year and one of the best selling albums worldwide that was released in 2009. Had GOYB been a hit song (ala "Vertigo"), clearly sales would have been stronger.

While NLOTH suffered the "Pop" effect (questionable first single), and some sales are lost due to illegal downloads and the "cherry picking" aspect of iTunes, U2 still sells a lot of CD's. And the promotion a label gives is huge. Radiohead's best selling CD, "OK Computer", went 2x Platinum in the U.S. All of their recent releases (excluding the one released this year) just reached Gold status. The difference in sales is large enough for Radiohead to pull away from a label and do their own thing. They still sell decently enough, but they don't have monster sales.

Plus, U2 have long since worked out a deal where they retain the rights to their own music. U2 have made less $$ over the years due to this, but it ultimately gave them control. U2 decide if they want a song for a commercial or movie. Radiohead probably did not have that right - so being on their own allowed them more control of their music.

Bottom line - being label-free is advantageous for Radiohead. Being with a label is better for U2. Both are business decisions - don't let either act fool you.

Also, with U2 streaming more music online (NLOTH, "Wide Awake in Europe") along with the actual release, I really don't see the difference any more. U2 are doing the same, if not more, than Radiohead and Duran Duran.

So what's the realy argument here? :scratch:

As for trying to be on topic, I do expect more online releases for this album. I'm just wondering if U2 will keep up their "rocking first single" trend, that they've had since R&H, or finally release a fantastic ballad or slow song, like WOWY.

Oh, I wasn't rolling any eyes at you. Your post actually made me chuckle. What I said was actually inspired by what I assumed you were hinting at. It was all the other "Radiohead sucks, U2 rules!" and "U2 sucks, Radiohead rules!" posts that got me off and fingerpointing. Because, come on...people are so forgiving of U2 working with any newer latter day producer or artist be it Danger Mouse, WillIAm, Jay-Z, whomever - but for some reason...U2 emulating Radiohead, a VETERAN ACT STILL AS RELEVANT AS EVER, is just so blasphemous!!! I mean, are there actually people here who are jealous of Radiohead? What's there to be jealous of? Are you actually involved with either bands? Then what's with all the sensitivity? (i realize that last question could be directed at me for this rant) Look, U2 are the most irrelevant they've ever been. For 2 reasons, I see: 1) They already had their "come-back" moment twice, once in a radical new way, once in a retro, back-to-our-roots way. There's no more surprises in store. Most bands don't get a 3rd act. And 2) They're just old. OLD!!! I don't make the rules. It's just the sad truth. But I'll give 'em the benefit of the doubt. If the next album moves mountains, I'll be the first one up against the wall. If it doesn't, which is what I'm expecting, then I think it's time we all started accepting the sad truth.

Right on. I don't know why people get so upset by criticism of U2...unless they are U2! They are still good, but not great, and I think they could be. Their last record had 4 or 5 really good songs, and for a 13th record that's pretty good. It's their pop hit chasing that bugs me, because they used to have hits because the songs we undeniably great, not because they tailored them for the the ears of 12 year olds. If they are as obsessed with relevance as they seem to be, they could learn a few things from Radiohead, just as Radiohead learned a lot from U2.

Old bands don't have hits, so they should just do what they want. Their focus on hits and new willingness to jump in with any new hot producer makes them no different than Britney Spears, except her songs are good pop songs.

Another thing: Bono's rambling on about prog rock, interesting music and punk is really weird since U2 made a career out of making interesting, thoughtful, artistically daring music and tours and are, to me, more of a prog/art rock band.

And what's the opposite of "interesting" music? Boring music!

Anyway, if the next U2 record has 3 or 4 solid songs I'll be happy. I just don't want to be subjected to pop catering.

U2 have released now two concerts for free online. I haven't seen any other act show an entire concert for free online (and if there are other artists doing this, none of U2's caliber in terms of "superstardom").

Doc, you should know that there are a bunch of Chili Peppers, Atoms For Peace, NIN, and Radiohead concerts online, some hi-def.

What does caliber of "superstardom" have to do with anything?

Doc, you should know that there are a bunch of Chili Peppers, Atoms For Peace, NIN, and Radiohead concerts online, some hi-def.

What does caliber of "superstardom" have to do with anything?

First, mea culpa. It's nice to see bands doing this. However, U2 are right along with them. So my last point stands - U2 are doing the same as other artists.

As for "superstardom"... Of those bands you listed, I'd argue only the Chili Peppers are in the same group as U2. Smaller acts (new or ones who had huge hits in the past, but nothing big recently) will do extra types of promotion to get their music heard. U2 doesn't need to do this type of promotion. U2 do not.

This begs the question. - why would U2 release a free concert? My altruistic side says it's for the fans. The business side says that this type of promotion is subtle for U2. It keeps U2 on people's minds.

U2 have done lots of promotion for their recent albums. Is it necessary? In today's world, promotion is needed, for both big and small.

Hollow Island, you have a cool name and an interesting point of view.

However, this is complete bullshit:

Old bands don't have hits, so they should just do what they want. Their focus on hits and new willingness to jump in with any new hot producer makes them no different than Britney Spears, except her songs are good pop songs.

Well partly anyway. Old bands probably should do what they want, i will agree. Though i dont really mind if u2 (or any band) wants a radio hit. Why should people be afraid of success? Dumbest thing ive ever heard of.

Also, techincally u2 were "old" when they had a pretty decent hit with Vertigo. It was only 5-6 years ago. By today's standards, u2 started to become old somewhere around the release of their first 'Best Of' back in 98 or 99 (Sweetest Thing). Maybe even before that....PoP? They were 40 when they released ATYCLB and had hits with Beautiful Day, Stuck in a Moment, & Elevation.

Comparing u2 to Britney Spears is beyond laughable.

Right on. I don't know why people get so upset by criticism of U2

No one is getting upset about criticism, but some may get upset about shitty juvenile ramblings that basically just superimpose your opinions on to the band. If you thought your "criticisms" out a little more you probably wouldn't be getting so much flack, but if you continue with "U2 are trying to be Brittney and they should be like Radiohead" arguments then you're going to get what you deserve... :shrug:

Oh, I wasn't rolling any eyes at you. Your post actually made me chuckle. What I said was actually inspired by what I assumed you were hinting at. It was all the other "Radiohead sucks, U2 rules!" and "U2 sucks, Radiohead rules!" posts that got me off and fingerpointing. Because, come on...people are so forgiving of U2 working with any newer latter day producer or artist be it Danger Mouse, WillIAm, Jay-Z, whomever - but for some reason...U2 emulating Radiohead, a VETERAN ACT STILL AS RELEVANT AS EVER, is just so blasphemous!!! I mean, are there actually people here who are jealous of Radiohead? What's there to be jealous of? Are you actually involved with either bands? Then what's with all the sensitivity? (i realize that last question could be directed at me for this rant) Look, U2 are the most irrelevant they've ever been. For 2 reasons, I see: 1) They already had their "come-back" moment twice, once in a radical new way, once in a retro, back-to-our-roots way. There's no more surprises in store. Most bands don't get a 3rd act. And 2) They're just old. OLD!!! I don't make the rules. It's just the sad truth. But I'll give 'em the benefit of the doubt. If the next album moves mountains, I'll be the first one up against the wall. If it doesn't, which is what I'm expecting, then I think it's time we all started accepting the sad truth.

Ok, that's your opinion, we've read it plenty of times for the last days, we don't need you to shout, we don't need to accept any sad truth, I knew the band members' age before you told us they are old and I don't find it so sad to be 50 and being for more than 20 years at the top of the world's musical panorama if you allow me to say that. I think it is you who must accept the truth: that many people don't agree with you here. What are you going to do? Keep posting it till we say we agree? Frankly, I can't understand your position.

He's still working: :giggle:

'Shoot the Boer': U2's Bono clears the air

Then we'll have two Breathe songs.

Here's the alternate lyric...

1st verse) 18th of July on the banks of a not well-known river, I started a journey to where I am now. Troublesome, troublemaker, guided by the drums of my creator towards a rhythm, a rhyme, a melody line of a song called freedom, which once heard will never leave your head. Rolihlahla, on a day like this, it’s love that gives us courage to resist.

(chorus) Agape love forged like steel in the fire. Agape love like a whisper that calls us to walk out into the street with your arms out and the people you meet are neither down nor out, hey there is nothing you have that I need. I can breathe. I can breathe.

(2nd verse) All those who stand together, fist in air, now know this – that real division is not a scar on the land, but in the hearts of every man who began as a kiss not to resist, and not a fist. Now an open hand, an open face, an open page where history might rewrite its rage.

(chorus) Agape love forged like steel in the fire. Agape love whispering to us to walk out into the street, sing your hearts out to the people you meet, neither down nor out, hey there is nothing you have that I need. I can breathe, I can breathe.

Glad to see them use the alternate lines on the album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom