New Album Discussion: Electric Lady Studios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...and we believe this because, what, she said so and happened to have a picture outside the studio that anyone could have taken? With zero details about any of the songs?

And where did she hear the songs, cause I can assure you hearing them at the studio would be very difficult, if not impossible, as there are no openable windows that face the sidewalk...

Well, we're not there so we don't know. But we do know that the band have played unfinished records for random fans and journalists and asked for feedback before. She says she was sitting with them chatting, not just listening from the street, and names Dallas as a friend. I just think that if someone had the time and inclination to sit outside electric lady all the time (like for a scoop for a job)and get aquainted I can see how it might happen.

The interesting thing would be to see if her access continues after her tweets. If they want to keep things quiet they may cut her off, or it may have been a one-off occasion, or it may have been a deliberate leak. Who knows?

Nice. How about John Dos Passos, specifically the USA trilogy?

He's the second brightest talent of the Lost Generation after Fitzgerald.

Brighter, if for nothing more than the biographies. The Randolph Bourne and Wesley Everest are among the most touching and devastating poems in U.S. modernism, and the Eugene Debs one is great, too.

Also, almost anything Willa Cather wrote, and most of the modernist writers who have been denies modernist status for political reasons -Hughes, Toomer, Hurston. And HD. "The Flowering of the Rod" is just transformative.

I don't share the love of Fitzgerald outside of Gatsby, which was pretty transparently modeled on (and arguably improved) Cather's A Lost Lady. The naturalization of hierarchy and demystification of upward mobility in Gatsby is much richer than the lazy "American Dream gone wrong" readings imply. Teaching this in spring 2012 was a highlight of my time in the classroom so far, especially paired with Studs Terkel and excerpts from Steinbeck's Grapes and some theoretical stuff on privilege.

Hemingway needs more serious consideration again, but not before Tillie Olsen or even Gertrude Stein (as a writer and not just an historical force).

And then Faulkner charges in with Absalom, Absalom! and wins early 20th century Anglophone writing in all major traditions - Joyce, Woolf and Hurston maybe excepted. Because that book is some HEAVY SHIT but so much fun to read, if you enjoy working through recursive interiority.

Edit: Also where is the Sherwood Anderson love? He's essentially the protege of Hemingway and Stein, a Lost Generationer - but with empathy and compassion, and not nearly so self-absorbed.

The interesting thing would be to see if her access continues after her tweets. If they want to keep things quiet they may cut her off, or it may have been a one-off occasion, or it may have been a deliberate leak. Who knows?

Good points.

I'm leaning towards her being stepped on a bit and told to clamp it shut.

I think anyone close to the band right now has been told in no uncertain terms that they are not to leak out anything unapproved. This baby is wrapped up so tight this time around that nothing is going to trickle out unless it's deliberate.

So anyone close, if they value their relationship and/or access privileges, is minding their ps and qs on Twitter and other social media..

Believe me, nothing being Tweeted by her, or any close associates of the band, is being done without the knowledge and approval of the band. Note the lack of specifics (e.g. song name). The band wants some positive vibe out there for the record right now, and nothing more...which is why are these Tweets are remarkably similar in tone, all something along the lines of "Wow, heard some of the new U2 record...amazing!" I'm not implying U2 is telling them what to Tweet...but you can be sure it's been made pretty clear to them what is or isn't OK to publicly talk about. No one is going to risk being banned from U2 land for breaking a trust. In short, the band wants these kind of Tweets right now. I suppose it's possible that someone will or has gone too far, but I don't believe this woman has.

So we're taking the word of an obsessive Edge fan who speaks only in vague terms with zero verifiable detail as gospel?

Sounds about par for the course.

...and we believe this because, what, she said so and happened to have a picture outside the studio that anyone could have taken? With zero details about any of the songs?

And where did she hear the songs, cause I can assure you hearing them at the studio would be very difficult, if not impossible, as there are no openable windows that face the sidewalk...

No one has been more skeptical of unverified Tweets from people about U2 around here than I have, but are you saying she's just making this up? If you read these Tweets carefully it's not that difficult to distinguish the wheat from the chaff.

She was even more specific than Blackwell, who retracted his tweet. Although it's possible he had second thoughts on his own without the band's disapproval.

She was even more specific than Blackwell, who retracted his tweet. Although it's possible he had second thoughts on his own without the band's disapproval.

Well that's natural: either on his own, or with help from someone close, he surely realized that his words/tweets would carry far more weight than the tweets of the average joe...and, later, a virtually unknown gal..So there's a difference imo in terms of what can be left "out there"...can you leave something even remotely specific out there said by a virtual unknown? Sure, why not..people will just debate the credibility of the person anyways.

There's no (valid, anyways) credibility debate over something Blackwell - or Lanois..or anyone else who is legitimately recognized publicly as being close to the band - says. Therefore they have to be even more careful because their word is alot more respected.

i don't know if there have been any tweets (taken seriously in here) that can be described as "chaff" though have there?

Dallas and/or members of the band have played new material to "fans" in the past. So it is possible. Their are actually people here that have some connections to the band and/or their crew. Usually in a limited capacity. But it is there sometimes.

It is all obviously just hype until we actually hear some type of new music like the beach clips in the past. I think we may "hear" something soon.

Throughout the last decade and a half or so, it is often during this phase (album recording) the chaff has been supplied by the band themselves.

Well, that's a given. I'd regard Tweets (or other means of propaganda) from the lads themselves at this stage as the MOST unreliable. ;)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to listen to Songs of Ascent.

Good points.

I'm leaning towards her being stepped on a bit and told to clamp it shut.

I think anyone close to the band right now has been told in no uncertain terms that they are not to leak out anything unapproved. This baby is wrapped up so tight this time around that nothing is going to trickle out unless it's deliberate.

So anyone close, if they value their relationship and/or access privileges, is minding their ps and qs on Twitter and other social media..

And they could have instructed Adrienne Wenner not to reveal anything before she was let in to listen because... ? Or Blackwell, or Lanois, or Lillywhite ?

And they could have instructed Adrienne Wenner not to reveal anything before she was let in to listen because... ? Or Blackwell, or Lanois, or Lillywhite ?

I'm favoring Nick's theory that she was allowed to listen and leak just a little tiny bit. I'm not an experienced chaff sifter, but it doesn't sound like total BS to me.

Incidentally, Blue, why do you have "fans" in quotations? Are they not really fans, journalists posing as ordinary fans, groupies called by a better name, or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom