MERGED--> new album 20th november! +New Best Of on November 20th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2dork said:
I go to work for 8 hours and look what happens.

I tell ya, some people in this thread are acting like they just found out Bono clubs baby seals in his free time. It's just a greatest hits package. Most bands who've been around forever have many of them. It's not that big of a deal.

I'm excited to hear the new song. I'm with Nurse Chrissi... Turkey and new U2... :drool:

you serious ?

We had a Best Of release like 4 years ago with a studio album serperating the two.

Its a swindle.

What material can we expect on this plastic?

the idea is really stupid. The previous "best of's" lacked many important songs, and now to narrow down the selection further for a single disc, 16 track "defenitive" best of?

How there can possibly be this much melodrama over a silly Greatest Hits is beyond me.

:eyebrow:

I'm sure that it's just to fulfill contractual obligations, as its already been stated in this thread. Not everything U2 does has to be a part of their grand scheme to "sell out" and screw over their fans (even though we're getting a new song out of this, so I'm not exactly sure how this is bad for us in any way).

Swear to God, every time something new happens with U2 it's complain, complain, bitch, moan, complain with some of you people.

Eesh. :huh:

i don't like this.

i'm fine with "Best Of's." i own both of them. they are convenient on car trips, for example, especially before i owned an iPod. i am thrilled for the new song, and i believe the next album will be out next year and that it will be great. i really do.

but to put out a whole new "Best Of" album when there are two perfectly good one's out there -- and one's that make a whole lot more sense, putting the songs in context -- seems so utterly pointless to me.

so i'm waiting to hear what they have to say about it. then i'll judge.

i love post-2000 U2. they are right up there with AB and JT. but they are taking steps in a direction that i'm not comfortable with. they always seemed to be able to succeed despite not pandering (at least overtly) to the commercial element of things. i wanted them to sell albums, i wanted them to be popular, but i never wanted them to make the effort needed to actually be popular (do commercials, go on TRL, etc). i thought they were above that, and, yes, better than that.

so i'm taking a wait-and-see attitude. perhaps there's a perfectly good explanation for all this silliness.

also ... someone earlier mentioned Pearl Jam. and i agree that Pearl Jam has gone to great lengths to preserve what they understand as integrity, and i see value in that, and i respect it to a degree, but they're just not as good as U2. :shrug:

For heaven's sake, you'd think U2 had just announced they were no longer recording anything new ever, and would just put out another greatest hits CD every year.

This takes away from nothing. They're still recording new material, they're still continuing the tour, they're still U2. See previous posts regarding contractual obligation and a greatest hits CD.

Don't like the idea? Don't buy the damn CD. End of story.

kellyahern said:

Only if you buy it. Which you don't have to.

I don't think people are getting this point. Seems like many of them are of the understanding that when they signed the contract in blood for U2 fandom, they became obligated to purchase every release. ;)

corianderstem said:

i agree in theory, but it's not that simple.

i want the new song.

if, god forbid, it's an "Album Only" download then i am going to be quite pissed that i have to fork over all that cash for a single song. so, if this does come to pass, some of us are going to have to buy the album just so we can get the new song.

and i think that's shitty.

it was like when i watched the final episode of "Six Feet Under" and, after the tears and existential crisis, i ran over to the computer so that i could download the song "Breath Me" -- and guess what?

Album Only track.

corianderstem said:
For heaven's sake, you'd think U2 had just announced they were no longer recording anything new ever, and would just put out another greatest hits CD every year.

This takes away from nothing. They're still recording new material, they're still continuing the tour, they're still U2. See previous posts regarding contractual obligation and a greatest hits CD.

and a lot of us will not buy the cd, but that is not the point!
the point is that we thought that this band was abouwe that and we are proven wrong...
as fans we have the right to complain..we dont complain because we hate U2, we complain because we love them...and one thing we love them for is that they never did things like this...
I'm surprised that you don't understand this...or tolerance is strange concept....

Irvine511 said:

i agree in theory, but it's not that simple.

i want the new song.

if, god forbid, it's an "Album Only" download then i am going to be quite pissed that i have to fork over all that cash for a single song. so, if this does come to pass, some of us are going to have to buy the album just so we can get the new song.

and i think that's shitty.

it was like when i watched the final episode of "Six Feet Under" and, after the tears and existential crisis, i ran over to the computer so that i could download the song "Breath Me" -- and guess what?

Album Only track.

http://forum.interference.com/f192.html

Lots of requests for album only tracks here.

Marko said:

the point is that we thought that this band was abouwe that and we are proven wrong...
as fans we have the right to complain..we dont complain because we hate U2, we complain because we love them...and one thing we love them for is that they never did things like this...
I'm surprised that you don't understand this...or tolerance is strange concept....

Said, it's exactily the point.

The ridiculous thing about this is that they want to put 16 songs as the best, or the biggest hits.
That's something so hard to define... and U2 is the kind of band that doesn't have only 16 good hits... there will always be the lack of a bunch of songs...

I don't think it's that big a deal. When you're as big as U2 is (the biggest) and are celebrating your 30th anniversary, and have just released your first retrospective book for that 30th anniversary, and your fan base is so large and so varied, you almost have to release a Greatest Hits album with all the years included. It's to go along with the book. It's their 30th anniversary compilation for the masses. It makes sense, doesn't it?

I agree that this is a pretty pitiful move...But, I also read that all of u2's royalties would go to New Orleans related causes......

That would make this endeavour worth while...

Finally, I predict that the color of the album is ...#660033.

canedge said:
I agree that this is a pretty pitiful move...But, I also read that all of u2's royalties would go to New Orleans related causes......

That would make this endeavour worth while...

Finally, I predict that the color of the album is ...#660033.

yeah - royalties for one song will go to charity, and for 17 to the band, record sompany etc... :)

if the are so charitable why dont' they come to play a gig in my hometown and give all profit to anyone who needs it :) just a thought....

Marko said:

Above what? Things like what? Fulfilling a contractual obligation?

And I'm not being intolerant of anyone; I'm expressing exaggerated bemusement over the reactions of people here. I'm sorry if you read my post as an attack of some sort.

What I don't understand isn't people's right to complain. I guess I don't understand what "things like this" or "above that" is. Maybe I'm just stuck on the whole "contractual obligation" thing.

I will agree that if the new tracks aren't available for single downloads, then that would be worth complaining about. But it's a little early for that.

I will not be disappointed until I see the full details of the songs etc. I am excited and surprised..I am looking forward to the new material. The coolest thing would be a second disc of unreleased material if you are going to give us a disk of recycles. I love the band anyway.

On the whole, the only people who I think are over-reacting here are the people fighting the tide of negativity by labelling it "rediculous" (uh, there's no 'e' in 'ridiculous'), melodramatic, etc. I just read through the whole thread from where I left last night, and it seems to me that those of us with problems with this release have offered some calm, well thought-out critiques of this release, outlining why we feel it is flawed on multiple levels. Meanwhile, the backlash to such criticism seerms to often resort to labelling any negativity as ridiculous while struggling to provide substantial responses itself.

And in any case, this is a discussion forum differing multiple views are meant to meet. Don't write off those you dislike as ridiculous and actually take the time to listen to them.

Axver said:
On the whole, the only people who I think are over-reacting here are the people fighting the tide of negativity by labelling it "rediculous" (uh, there's no 'e' in 'ridiculous'), melodramatic, etc. I just read through the whole thread from where I left last night, and it seems to me that those of us with problems with this release have offered some calm, well thought-out critiques of this release, outlining why we feel it is flawed on multiple levels. Meanwhile, the backlash to such criticism seerms to often resort to labelling any negativity as ridiculous while struggling to provide substantial responses itself.

Excellent point. For the record, my post on the last page was a response to those who are overreacting.

You know, in case anyone who's sensible and well thought-out takes offense to what I said. :wink:

I know everyone has talked about why would they put "saints" on the CD, maybe its a simple tribute back to what U2 considered themselves, a punk band. This is a kind of thank you to that influence in their earlier music. Just a thought.

Axver said:

And in any case, this is a discussion forum differing multiple views are meant to meet. Don't write off those you dislike as ridiculous and actually take the time to listen to them.

Thank you! I was literally told I was devoting my life to being negative about this release a couple pages back!

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I'm quite happy to hear this compilation is coming out. New song!!! And "Saints" is a pretty cool song.

People U2 is a juggernaut like it or not. They are MEGA and are not afraid to be mainstream like Pearl Jam. Why are we making such a big deal? U2 is not 'your' band or even 'our' band...they're 'everyone's' band and they've always intended to be.

I'll be the first in line to pick it up. :yes:

i do believe pearl jam put out a double CD greatest hits album, even though they didn't want to. but they had to... it was a contract obligation. what a whacky concept.

oh... and i'll spell rediculous any which way i'd like to, thank you very much. and i listened... and i think the complaints are very fucking rediculous. and i, too, am entitled to that opinion.

corianderstem said:

Above what? Things like what? Fulfilling a contractual obligation?

And I'm not being intolerant of anyone; I'm expressing exaggerated bemusement over the reactions of people here. I'm sorry if you read my post as an attack of some sort.

What I don't understand isn't people's right to complain. I guess I don't understand what "things like this" or "above that" is. Maybe I'm just stuck on the whole "contractual obligation" thing.

I will agree that if the new tracks aren't available for single downloads, then that would be worth complaining about. But it's a little early for that.

yeah I understand...

but look - I know that everyone changes over time, but there is a big difference to read a book 15 or 10 years ago about U2 where they are prod not to be connected with any kind of promotion and comercials...and being proud about not wanting sposnsorship or anything like that.. not wanting to go to TRl and Tops of the Pops...being the biggest while at the same time being alternative...
I was proud of our boys when they won "Best Alternative Album" for Zooropa on grammys because it realy was alternative...grunge and Nirvana were not alternative at that point in time - they were almost mainstream. Numb, Zooropa and Lemon were alternative. But still they were fearless and the biggest... they made passengers which was something that radiohead will do only couple of years later with OK Computer and they will be hailed for it...and than came pop
I blame POP ( a great great album for me) and their lack of courage for this. Sales of "only" 7 million, and 6 of that outside of the US made them play safe and it is a dissapointment for me...they were the band that went their own way and they were beating everyone else in the process, and now they are playing by the rules of the market and not by their own...

in 1991 they chopped the JT but retained their creativity and courage and integrity...
now they chopped that integrity, and there is no sign of creativity in sight, they are looking for it from the producer of the moment...

I would like for edge to repeat his production of Zooropa and create something extraordinary...

as you can se - this Best Of is just a trigger for all my frustrations about U2 in last few years - but you can get frustrated only if you love them :)

The bottom line is that this is just another product. U2 are a business, like it or not, and you can view their major album releases as line their main product line. This is just a small second product coming out like the chicago DVD, Zoo TV DVD, and U2 by U2. A product that we can either buy or choose not to buy. I fail to see the line where U2 becomes a money-hungry monster because of it.

From where I see things, this is no way affects the release of their next album. If anything it only proves the band is comfortable enough with the new material and Rubin's work to release a song this early. I only see good things in the future.

Marko said:
as you can se - this Best Of is just a trigger for all my frustrations about U2 in last few years - but you can get frustrated only if you love them :)

I completely understand where you're coming from. I would love to see something a little different from them as well. But I guess the difference with me is that I still like what they're putting out.

Once I reach the point where I'm getting frustrated with them, then I'll join you over in the land of frustration. :wink:

But don't forget - they're still working on a new album of new material! With that in mind, I just can't be disappointed in this upcoming release. You know?

It feels like people have forgotten about things we were talking about yesterday - new material, new album, new producer, and now that they've thrown in an extra release, BAM! Mass hysteria.

Or, you know, in some cases, well-reasoned complaints. :wink:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
oh... and i'll spell rediculous any which way i'd like to, thank you very much. and i listened... and i think the complaints are very fucking rediculous. and i, too, am entitled to that opinion.

The English language has rules to make communication effective and easy. Follow them. I have no time for people who consciously and deliberately choose to spell badly.

And instead of just throwing around silly accusations of ridiculousness, why don't you provide a well justified response to the criticisms? You are yet to do that. Your responses consist primarily of accusations and unjustified statements. Those of us who have problems with the release have taken the time to explain and justify our viewpoints in detail. You simply discard the lot of them by calling them ridiculous. That's a disrespectful generalisation. Why do all negative viewpoints lack merit? Surely not all of them are ridiculous?

Axver said:

I agree with Ax. I'm on the positive side for this compilation, but if you don't agree with it that's your opinion and I hear your misgivings with this Best Of release.

That said Ax, whenever someone calls U2 a sellout or claims that everything they believed in about the band is thrown away because of one release it is a little hard to stomach. U2 are in a business and their product produces a lot of $$$ for their company. Whenever their company needs $$$ they put out their best product. They effectively own U2, no matter how independent U2 is.

And if you think that U2 is in a real position to fight that you don't understand the nature of business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom