LP13 - Still Waiting - 1980 days since Bono announced Songs of Ascent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
doesn't nearly every U2 album have clunkers?

doesn't nearly every album have clunkers?

Interferophobia. (n) fear of clunkers.

OMGz not only Adele, but also huge Taylor Swift is releazing in October!

Edge, maybe some remix of the songs as an excuse to release in happier, vacant times?

:wink: NO WAY

The only album IMO that doesn't have a cluncker is AB. So womanfish's post is pretty moot.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Edge, maybe some remix of the songs as an excuse to release in happier, vacant times?

ZOMG ! TS and Adele will Eat U2 alive !!

:combust::panic::panic:

Unless...U2 did a duet song with both Adele and Taylor Swift on the album...:wink:

When were U2 rumoured to play at London Club this fall ? September 4th ?

That small London club firstly reported together with a Dublin venue was rumoured for November, but I don't know how reliable the whole piece of info was.

Mikal's thoughts about a tie-in with iPhone 6 could be likely because this new iPhone is being rumoured to be a revolution on the front of the lossless music vs the lossy one. There's even talking of hi-res download from iTunes, don't know how likely that will be though. In that context, offering a new U2 album in a quality digital package could be a good strategy aimed at tech end users who may also like U2.

The only album IMO that doesn't have a cluncker is AB. So womanfish's post is pretty moot.

AB is one hell of a masterpiece. Other than that, there's always clunkers in U2 albums. And there will be until the end of time.

Current rumors have the iPhone 6 coming out on October 14th. I wonder if U2 would consider partnering with Apple again and have their new album preloaded on all iPhone 6 preorders or something cool like that.

Hadn't thought of this. Wouldn't be surprised if there was another tie-in with Apple.

AB is clunker free, also I think JT is clunker free. I think Playboy Mansion is probably the only song on POP that I don't love. War is solid except maybe for Red Light. UF has Elvis Presley and America. And other than the covers they did on Rattle and Hum, there really aren't clunkers on there either! I would consider all these decent "filler songs" which all albums have.

What's different is having their recent albums have really strong material and then almost embarrassingly bad clunkers. NLOTH having 4 or 5 songs, nearlyt half the album being skip-worthy. Not just not-quite-as-good filler material (which is what I would consider Invisible)

I'm just hoping for a return to more consistency given the amount of time they have had to work on it.

U2 released Achtung right up against Michael Jackson's big next album (and he was still huge at that stage) so red herrings all round here really.

Not only that but most acts nowadays struggle to sell 5 million units worldwide let alone 10 million. There is competition but for smaller and smaller unit sales. The tour is where the money is made and U2 is great at touring.

Adele is the only artist nowadays who can outsell the majority of acts in album sales...

Someone wants to bet that by October 2015 she will have passed 10 million copies ? She will make a slaughter...

Besides being Adele, unfortunately touring is where any band will make their money in today's market...:grumpy:

As for the Clunker Fest...U2 only needs 3-4 HUGE hit songs for this album to stand next to JT or AB...and become a classic

by HUGE I mean, a "Beautiful Day", "Vertigo", "Streets" or "One" type of songs

As for the Clunker Fest...U2 only needs 3-4 HUGE hit songs for this album to stand next to JT or AB...and become a classic

by HUGE I mean, a "Beautiful Day", "Vertigo", "Streets" or "One" type of songs

You're right, they really only need a couple of big standouts to make a splash. I'm keeping my high hopes and my doubts in check.

Just looking back over Rattle and Hum. It's crazy now to think that U2 got so criticized for this album. I understand a lot of it was about trying to hard to get into the Blues/country/American roots thing where they didn't really "belong".

But can you imagine now an album that contains Desire, Hawkmoon, Silver and Gold, Love Rescue Me, Heartland, God Part II, and All I want is You being skewered the way it was at the time??

U2 albums without clunkers:

Boy - A Day Without Me isn't as good as the rest, but it's still very good.
War
The Unforgettable Fire
The Joshua Tree
Zooropa
Pop

Not every song is great on some of those albums, but none are bad.

Just stumbled up on this tidbit that's sure to enrage the "U2 have always wanted to make commercial music and never put the music before commerce" contingent

There was no attempt to make The Joshua Tree a commercial album. "If anyone had even breathed that idea ...," says Clayton. "We wanted to make music. The thing is to challenge radio. To get 'With You or Without You' on the radio is pretty good. You don't expect to hear it on there — maybe in a church."

U2, 'The Joshua Tree' - 100 Best Albums of the Eighties | Rolling Stone

War
The Unforgettable Fire
The Joshua Tree
Zooropa
Pop

Hallelujah!! There is a difference between true clunkers and a few songs that are not quite as strong as the rest.

I've being proactive here, and suggesting asking we not get into a discussion about what constitutes a clunker.

"We wanted to make music. The thing is to challenge radio. To get 'With You or Without You' on the radio is pretty good. You don't expect to hear it on there — maybe in a church."

OT - There's that 1999 TJT documentary where Bono says almost an identical thing - referring to the contrast between TJT singles 'highness' and the synth-driven new wave characterizing the mainstream in the mid '80s, exactly when they started conceiving the music that would have become TJT.

But again, as Bono says in that documentary, there was a sense of Irish malaise pervading those songs, the need of a soul highness reflecting into the sound, the idea of wanting to photograph America in the songs, reading a lot of poetry et cetera. On the contrary, on that same documentary, Lillywhite claims: "They clearly had the hits" or something like that - points of view are curious, aren't they?

Thing is artists change, their way of thinking and living the world changes, and that's the ultimate source of the individual's inspiration. IMHO that comes even before considering musicianship, Eno, Lanois, Burton's melody hooks and aiming at youngsters... What hasn't changed to my perception is their talent, even when clunkers are cranked out. Reason why I'm here like a desperate hitting refresh on this topic every 5 seconds.

Achtung Baby has no "clunkers". It's one of three U2 records where all the songs are strong to one degree or another.

And I'd actually say AB is their most consistent record (though not their best one)

Yeah i agree there are no clunkers here, i was just wanting to see what Hollow Islands opinion was.

Adele is the only artist nowadays who can outsell the majority of acts in album sales...

Someone wants to bet that by October 2015 she will have passed 10 million copies ? She will make a slaughter...

Besides being Adele, unfortunately touring is where any band will make their money in today's market...:grumpy:

This is partially because Adele's fan base runs across such a broad demographic, and older fans are more likely to buy CD's and less likely to torrent her music.

U2 is never going to sell records like that again.. though they want to and always have since day one, despite what the naive "U2 are just pure artists who don't care about sales" contingent may think.

Sent from my prototype iPhone 6 ™2014 Apple Inc.

War
The Unforgettable Fire
The Joshua Tree
Zooropa
Pop

Whaaa? A Day Without Me is one of the highlights! Have you gone mental? (Sorry, I just watched Wayne's World again recently)

I would definitely say that War and Pop have a couple clunkers. Red Light is pretty abysmal, as is The Refugee. And I think Miami and Playboy Mansion are quite polarizing, although i kinda like the latter when tuning out some of the lyrics. If God Would Send His Angels is a huge clunker, and probably the most offensive one on Pop because it seems like a self-conscious step backward towards late 80's arena rock. It's the first time U2 sounded to me like they were trying to "sound like U2."

Interesting that you left October off the list. I might actually be one of the few who love every song on there.

Wow, looking over the last three albums, I have to say that HTDAAB is the most consistent album of the last three.
ATYCLB I would toss Peace on Earth and Grace (wild honey is on the edge...)
NLOTH I would toss Unknown Caller, Crazy, Boots and Stand Up...

Even with my overall blah feeling about Invisible and OL, I do have a bit of a hopeful feeling that I will be pleasantly surprised with this album. I'm thinking if there are any "clunkers" they will be at least listenable, like the ones on Dismantle.

That's funny, because to me the BOMB album comes close to being just one big clunker.

OL is better than any single on there.

Long time lurker and really infrequent poster here. :reject:

I've been thinking about the "clunkers" and how they can make the final cut when we are talking about one of the greatest bands ever. To me, a lot of it comes down to second guessing or just trying too hard to sound a certain way or to appeal to a given demographic. I just hope we don't have too much of the "paint by numbers" U2 and/or uncomfortable attempts at being relevant with this upcoming album... the "guyliner" incidents surrounding the roll out of NLOTH come to mind :doh:

For a band that has done a bit of everything in the rock spectrum minus thrash metal or rap there really aren't any new directions as many others have pointed out. Personally I'd love to see some Fez/Being Born mixed with Electrical Storm and a dash of MOS. A bit of soul with some decent hooks and interesting textures here and there, keep most of it mid to down tempo and with a common feel/theme. One can hope....

Long time lurker and really infrequent poster here. :reject:

I've been thinking about the "clunkers" and how they can make the final cut when we are talking about one of the greatest bands ever. To me, a lot of it comes down to second guessing or just trying too hard to sound a certain way or to appeal to a given demographic. I just hope we don't have too much of the "paint by numbers" U2 and/or uncomfortable attempts at being relevant with this upcoming album... the "guyliner" incidents surrounding the roll out of NLOTH come to mind :doh:

For a band that has done a bit of everything in the rock spectrum minus thrash metal or rap there really aren't any new directions as many others have pointed out. Personally I'd love to see some Fez/Being Born mixed with Electrical Storm and a dash of MOS. A bit of soul with some decent hooks and interesting textures here and there, keep most of it mid to down tempo and with a common feel/theme. One can hope....

I think to you're over thinking it. It's hard to come up with just one great sing on a record, much less 12. The question isn't "why does U2 have clunkers"? (all bands do). The question is "why do they have so few"?

The answer has something to do with God walking through rooms.

Sent from my prototype iPhone 6 ™2014 Apple Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom