Is Fast Cars Single worthy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyChicken

Acrobat
I've only heard the looped version of Fast Cars so I'm in no position to offer an adequate personal position.

I've read a lot of people like this song but does it have credence to perform well as a single? I'm looking for reasons beyond "Yes, because I personally like it"

Discuss this while I engage in New Years Eve festivities...

If there is a similiar thread in existence, MERGE the two immediately...

no, there's a reason it's a bonus track that's seperated from the main album

it's an amazing song, but it's not in the vein of the rest of the album, which wouldn't make it a good single... since it wouldn't really represent the album

Interesting comparison, Dalton.

Also, Ground beneath her feet was played on the tour several times, but it wasn't on all ATYCLB versions.

I wonder how they'd handle the tempo of this song live, especially Bono.

"Fast Cars" deserves more respect and more exposure.

Would be interesting to see how the public would react to it.

ALL I WANT IS TO GET RIGHT NEXT TO YOU....:adam: :larry: :edge: :hug: :bono: :love:

I like it, I think it's a strong song, and I think it's even better than Xanax and Wine. I'm not sure it's single material, but its a good song.

I have to say after listening to the HTDAAB demos that Larry and Adam were right, the songs just weren't up to snuff.

I love it.
It is a very different sound for U2.
An exciting song with a distinct Middle Eastern influence.
It's also has the line 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb” in it.
It’s early version “Xanax and Wine” rocks too.

korczykp said:
it's an amazing song, but it's not in the vein of the rest of the album, which wouldn't make it a good single... since it wouldn't really represent the album

I understand your argument, but really, in the context of all of the songs on the album, do you think that Vertigo represents it? It's nothing like most of the songs on the album. In fact, that's the one thing I've heard consistently from friends and family who aren't U2 fans and have heard the album. They heard Vertigo first, as the lead-off single, and then when they heard the album, it was completely different from what they were expecting.

In light of that, I don't see why it matters that Fast Cars doesn't represent the album.

As for whether or not it's single-worthy, I don't know. I love it, but I'm not sure the general public would.

Last edited:
discotheque77 said:
they will not release it as a single. this track is not at every htdaab album, not on the nl anyway!!!!

Would it be too risque to release a song that's not on every album in this present time?

Fast cars would be a perfect single and to me it could have been the Mysterious ways of this album (it has the same exotic flavour)...just the fact that some Alternative radios are giving it airplay without being released as a single (and without being in the official tracklist) should be indicative.

This could have been the perfect track to match new generations taste...but apparently someone at Universal decided that young rock fans should listen only to Green Day (whose album is indeed a very good one...i've never liked them but American Idiot definitely deserves the money it costs)

babyman said:
i actually think fast cars would increase the album sellings, it would be a great single, imagine the video, all the four challenging in a car race!!

no to me the perfect video would be a duel in the Far West...with the band playing music and dressed like Clint Eastwood in a Sergio Leone's Spaghetti Western

"Fast Cars" is easily one of the best songs from these sessions. I can't believe they didn't put it on every edition of the album (particularly since that means it doesn't have a proper place in the tracklist; it's just tacked onto the end).

That said, between "All Because of You," "Sometimes You Can't Yadda Yadda Yadda," "Miracle Drug," "City of Blinding Lights," and "Original of the Species," the album has a lot of good candidates for singles as it is.

Last edited:
It's too good to be a single, if you know what I mean. I hate when songs get over exposed, I end up jumping past them and I would hate that to happen to Fast Cars.

Convoy said:
can somebody send me fast cars?

Yeah, how does one LEGALLY obtain Fast Cars if they live in a region lacking it on the album, or iTunes isn't available?

I like Fast cars,, Could have been a great single,,,

JimmyChicken said:

Would it be too risque to release a song that's not on every album in this present time?

Yeah I think it is too risque. It's a great song but why didn't they put it on every album then. Maybe this song will be released in some little countries but not in the big markets. I don't know for sure but they never released a bonus track.
2nd thing is that I think the album has a few very good songs where they have to choose about what is going to be a single etc. It would be very strange if fast cars will be a big hit in america etc and not in europe. They can release it here but they don't. Why should they release a single here(europe,neth.) that's not on the album, singles are for promoting the album.

Fast Cars is a unique musical experitment. However, Xanax & Wine would have been more single-worthy.

"Fast Cars" is a great song and it would be a great single. It does not represent the album at all, neither does Vertigo (but very few songs would - that may be why I love this album so much). Would it sell? Depends on the song they would choose for the B-side.

LostAtMoon said:
"Fast Cars" is a great song and it would be a great single. It does not represent the album at all, neither does Vertigo (but very few songs would - that may be why I love this album so much). Would it sell? Depends on the song they would choose for the B-side.

It all depends on the B-Side? Why is that? If depends on the B-Side, its a wonder recent singles have had any success...

JimmyChicken said:
I've only heard the looped version of Fast Cars so I'm in no position to offer an adequate personal position.

I've read a lot of people like this song but does it have credence to perform well as a single? I'm looking for reasons beyond "Yes, because I personally like it"

Discuss this while I engage in New Years Eve festivities...

If there is a similiar thread in existence, MERGE the two immediately...

How have you not heard the full version yet??? Buy the special edition if your special edition has it or else download the track but you've got to hear it all!

And IMO Fast Cars is an excellent track, definately worthy of its place on the album.

Back
Top Bottom