IMHO - everyone here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
Do opinions on anything regarding U2 bother you?
Be it a critic, or a fan on here?

Does anyone get truly angry at some things some people say? Some people dont seem to care at all what others think, some seem very interested for whatever reason, but some seem to get genuinely angry. I wonder why that is though. Knowing what someone else thinks of an album hasn't ever really been able to change how I view it and as it's how I view things that I carry around with me, not how you view things, so what causes the anger?

lol! I was just thinking along those lines. Im wondering about apologising to a mate of mine, cos yesterday when I saw him, he was winding me up by saying things about Bono. My mates do that sometimes, purely to get me mad probably - and I always rise to it. But I ended up insulting him, which he's probably taken with a pinch of salt, but I should still say sorry when I see him later.

....and then he'll say something about Edge....:mad:

Other people's opinions have sometimes helped me shape and revise my own views on the band but only if those are opinions based on real facts which are well presented and well-analyzed.

As for getting angry, I never do. There are a few in this forum who have nothing but negative things to say about the band - especially about some particular "safe" albums or bad decisions of the band. There are some who just seem to be fond of throwing mud at the band. But every forum always seems to have their fair share of trolls, weirdos or devil's advocate. What do I do? I read their posts if there is anything valuable to get from it, if nothing then I just ignore them and move on to the next post. I would rather profess my love for the band than keep on nitpicking them like others do. As for the nitpickers, I just ignore them.

Cheers,

J

No-one on HERE angers or upsets me with their views on the band. If I can see that they've been here for ages, and not just trolling the board, then I LIKE to read any negative views on an aspect of the bands work. It's refreshing to see sometimes.

it doesn't really bother me what anyone says here about U2, because it's all pretty much subjective, and what i like about them and their music might not be the same as what someone else likes and vice versa. of course, i do admit i'll occassionally let myself get a bit wound up by people posting with uninformed opinions.

but it is interesting to see that some people seem to get genuinely angry at what other people say about the band or their music.

also, i've noticed that there are some posters that people get angry at regardless of what they say. i'm sure they could post that the sky, when viewed with the naked eye - of reasonable quality vision and not colourblind - during daylight, unobscured by clouds, smog, smoke, etc. appears to be blue, people would get angry at them.

pavlovian reaction maybe. they see the username and start frothing at the mouth...

Angela Harlem said:
Do opinions on anything regarding U2 bother you?

Opinions, no. People complaining about other peoples opinions, yes

Angela Harlem said:
Knowing what someone else thinks of an album hasn't ever really been able to change how I view it and as it's how I view things that I carry around with me, not how you view things, so what causes the anger? [/B]

My opinions have been a bit influenced by some of the musicians that post here. I have appreciated songs a wee bit more when some musically minded person has said "if you listen to this bit in your headphones in your right ear you will hear....."

But that doesnt change my opinion of the song, rather I appreciate the craftsmanship a little more.

But that wasnt the question was it.

umm. No, I dont care what people think of U2. I do care when people start fighting about it. I dont like that at all.

I never get angry because of some topic or post in here.
The only thing i dislike is when somebody wont accept that we all have different views on things. And anyway then its just a band, and thats all.

I have a problem when people are unable to look at things objectively with U2. Sure, most things regarding them are subjective, and that's fine, but there is one particular aspect of U2's life (particularly Bono's life) that I seem to disagree on with the majority of this forum. Obviously, personal attacks on personal opinions are shite too.
For the most part though, I love my fellow U2 fans, and I love this forum. The good outweighs the bad.
:hug:

Other people's opinions of U2 are none of my business - and no, they don't piss me off. The only things that piss me off are when people are needlessly rude to each other because no one is willing to back down or apologize when things get a bit dodgy when it comes to their opinions on U2. So all in all, I really could care less what people think of ATYCLB or Streets. :shrug:

i'm extremely opinionated when it comes to music. if you don't agree with me, you're wrong.

but i really don't give a rat's ass.

I'm a U2 fan and I'm not fucking stupid. Sorry Salome. Jick on the other hand...

It's not so much what is said, it's how it's said.
Insults and personal attacks irk me too.

Nah. I don't care what people think of anyone's music...if I like it, then it's good for me. And that's all that matters to me.

I actually don't really even mind people jumping on each other about their views...it's the whining I find disgusting. If you don't like something (or even someone) bitch all you want about it, but quit whining about how you hate the negativity. :mad: Whining is ten times worse than bitching!

I don't care who here loves U2, hates them, loves one album, hates this song and so on.

I don't care if they think Bono is sex on a stick or an ugly old man. I don't care if they think Larry's an incompetent drummer or U2's politics is lame or the Edge should get hair implants.

And frankly, I don't care if people are rude to each other either. Why on earth I should devote even a miniscule amount of energy because a third party is being negative or two people I've never met are arguing about whether Pop blows is beyond me. I will say I get irritated at some threads, though, mostly because they are bogged down by the same exact thing and don't people ever see that the horse has been mauled, is most certainly dead and buried and there is no need to dig up that body again.

I like free-flowing discussion a lot beacause I feel it is sometimes more honest, but I definitely understand the need for moderation here.

Whining is ten times worse than bitching!

I agree 100% with this. Can't have mommy holding your hand all your life, for God's sake.

Last edited:
There was a time when I argued about U2. This was early on in my online U2 interactions. This then gives way to experience. One sees the cycles. Now, I just have fun. ;) Sometimes I write all serious, but I'll throw in what I think is obvious bs as a clue that my whole post is bs. :wink: But while I am curious as to what people say, I find it doesn't alter my views.

It's interesting. I used to think U2 fans were some of the absolute coolest, friendliest, respectful people out there. I still do, but as of late with the new album coming out it has seemed to draw out a different class of fans. When I saw U2 on the Elevation tour I was so excited because I was right on the outside of the heart. I was nervous because I thought I was going to get trampled on as I had been to other 'rock' concerts and had some not so nice experiences :lol: but I had my own little space and nobody pushed me or shoved me. I was amazed, really. And at that moment I thought, 'god damn U2 fans are so cool'. Then of course meeting about 40 interferencers in Vegas.. there are no words to describe how cool that was and how kind everyone was.

So.. what was the question? :der: Oh ya! No I dont really care what others think of certain songs or albums. Its obvious we are not all going to agree to like a certain song or album, its all about how you share your opinions. The arguing is annoying. There has to be a point where we can agree to disagree instead of getting down on a person just because they dont like the same song another does. No ones views or opinions really change mine. I like what I like, because I like it!

I used to care a lot more than I do now. I've just come to the point where I know that what I feel about U2 isn't going to change regardless of what anyone else says.

As far as relentless negativity and rudeness go, if that is what genuinely gives some people joy, that speaks volumes about them. I can only choose how I react to it, and it's better for me not to react at all. :shrug:

It doesn't really bother me unless they're being totally ignorant about them.

To be honest, I just feel sorry that they just don't know what they're missing out on.

U2_Muse said:
I used to care a lot more than I do now. I've just come to the point where I know that what I feel about U2 isn't going to change regardless of what anyone else says.

As far as relentless negativity and rudeness go, if that is what genuinely gives some people joy, that speaks volumes about them. I can only choose how I react to it, and it's better for me not to react at all. :shrug:

Likewise. :up:

Back
Top Bottom