If it is on the Internet this week, we will release it immediately

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
elfyx said:
not to sidetrack the topic, but what does everyone think the imagery and symbolism of the empty swimming pool is?

A sound that's gonna drown out the world?

If I remember right, they also took pics in a discotheque (sic) and a deserted industrial area.

I don't know about you, but that and the rumors about lots of guitar (and effects, as Edge has said), and the producing team (Lillywhite and Flood, with a touch of Lanois) remind me a lot of AB.
Or, since it looks like Lillywhite is the chief guy for the sound on this one, it could be sounding like the earliest of their albums.

:shrug:

Still don't buy the lost CD thing as a 'stunt', call me naive but I won't believe the boys would conduct that level of lying unless it looks more like real performance art and this don't cut it....

I think in the future, near future, albums will have simultaneous releases in CDstores and on iTunes, and that for now the bit about releasing it early is just truly a niche-fix to try and prevent those of U2's 'fans' who would download it for free if it got on the p2p places from taking away the record-company's revenue.
Maybe too they're thinking that if it ends up on the web instead of in some asshole's deskdrawer than it points to the new reality for recording artists...you gotta make it available online yourself and take control over it in that venue or else someone will do it for you. Thus, an early release in that medium would be part of the desperate attempts to retain control over product in this brave new world.

For the traditional release then only would the whole package with the coverdesign and the press-performance art and the promo work be saved, at least in an unfortunate situation like this. In future it'll all come at once, and even U2 might stop hanging about with copies of their work or....too bad for the 'real' fans and not the opportunistic shitheads....even shut those studio windows tight. What sucks in my mind about it all is how with the new musicmenus...which I still don't use and don't plan to for any time soon...you miss the package, the performance art part of it all. No wonder the summer concerts aren't selling out...there isn't the same old sense of art in 'popular' music anymore, what with tunebytune download. And I can't help but feel it's in part because of greedy asshole record company execs who've kept the prices of whole-statement CDs 3 times what they should be given their costs.

Goodness I hope this one is reminiscent of AB!
And that the empty swimming pool and deserted areas where there shouldbe/had been great buzzing activity is all indicative of that great big sound filling the space....
sounds like dizzy climbing-the-walls stuff, no?
how do you get out of an unfilled swimming pool? no footholds on the walls. need the water to lift you up, but there isn't any. won't drown now, but you're sort of stuck staring up at the sun (sorry...)...could give you a bad case of...dare I say...vertigo...

cheers all!

Here is a little interesting fact to consider. I was just reading through Bill Flanagan's book "U2: Until the End of the World" and came across this lovely bit of information on page 264, last paragraph.

"U2 has been warned of stern penalties for breaking curfew in Berlin, but they have secretly decided to do it anyway. They want this show, above all others, to have full force all their technology right from the first song, and that means waiting till after dark to begin. As we are in Berlin, and as this is the summer solstice, that means delaying U2's kickoff until 10 o'clock. The band announces, falsely, that the delays are due to technical difficulties"

So yeah, U2 have gone above the law in situations, and could likely be doing it again. They stated it could have be LOST or stolen. Which means even if it never turns up, they can't be penalized for it.

Last edited:
no way, it isn't pre-planned.........we are not talking about the backstreet boys here.......!!!!!

THIS IS U2!!!!!

To my opinion, they don't foo around with marketing strategy's themselves!!

Convoy, I still think there's a huge difference here. Delaying the concert was all in good fun, but filing a false police report that involves people being questioned and interrogated is just not funny. If this was a stunt, I am extremely disappointed in U2 and won't be purchasing this album in any form.

Oh indeed, Convoy, that seems totally different to me too...
pushing against *curfews* for the sake of a better show versus pushing the police on people for questioning in a ploy for ...for...what...more buzz? earlier release that they don't seem to be wanting?
Interesting tidbit but still not buying it's a stunt...

cheers all...

wait, we're not saying that if
there's no police report someone can produce then somehow the boys have conspired with reporters to allow them to say "police have launched a major investigation"?
And to report that two of the boys were seen outside
the police headquarters?
Out of curiosity, I googled Guy Sapata, the alleged head of the investigation, and there are other little link-y articles to mentions of such a one in S. France police jurisdictions...
I'm betting the french don't do a lot of public information campaigns...
I recall having a lovely little near run-in (thank god they didn't check me more closely...I just came from amsterdam afterall! and hadn't yet gotten ready for my flight out of charles degaulle!) with parisian
police years ago. Checking passports, lording it over everyone at this cafe...we were told nothing about why we were being 'checked'. Just don't strike me as the type of organization sending over their policebeat blotters to le monde or wherever...

cheers all!

mr mc sarcasm said:
no way, it isn't pre-planned.........we are not talking about the backstreet boys here.......!!!!!

THIS IS U2!!!!!

To my opinion, they don't foo around with marketing strategy's themselves!!

Hey, U2 have been around the block a time or two and they're not babes in the woods anymore. They've made a boatload of money and they well know how to make more. It's not just the boys in the band, many folks in their organization have been with them a long time. U2 is a business, and a hugely successful one at that. Whether this missing CD thing is real or not doesn't matter - they're going to capitalize on it as much as they can.

That being said, I can think of two alternate 'theories' why Bono would 'threaten' to blow the whole album out on iTunes if the missing CD makes it to P2P:

1) Perhaps Bono's just trying to make the thief show himself. Several folks have said Bono's words would encourage the thief to put it out on the internet... not necessarily so. If the thief were smart, they would figure out that as soon as they did put it on P2P, they'd get caught (well, anyone hosting it would get caught anyways). Not a smart move.

2) Possibly, whoever's got it is burning physical copies and distributing it to others that way - perhaps with an admonition to keep it quiet (some folks just like to 'have' stuff others don't - maybe they're selling them secretly, whatever). A few illegal copies like this wouldn't be a problem. But if just one of the thief's customers puts the CD on P2P (hoping to spur an early release), then that could screw things up for the thief - they no longer have an exclusive, so the value of the illegal CD would diminish. (Don't know if I'm making much sense on this one, but at least I know what I'm trying to say!)

Either way, Bono's words just raise the stakes for the thief... and if there whole thing is just a charade, well, like other folks have said, it just allows the band to set their own timetable for the album's release...

So no matter what, U2 wins... who says they don't know marketing strategies?

}: )~

i never had a problem with SNL or the Daily Show making up fake news stories, so i see no problem with U2 doing it.

martha said:
Once again, where is the copy of the police report? Or are these not available in France like they are here in the States?

So you're saying just because a copy of a police report hasn't surfaced, there ISN'T a police report?

I don't think police reports would be available just like that, it's probably somewhere in their files by now. I bet that if did come out, some of you would be all "made up too" again.

I have yet to see any positive effects of them making all this up and even leaking the songs themselves. History proves U2 does NOT approve leaking of songs before they're ready to release them nor do they stoop to such stunts that could backfire badly on them. I mean, lying to the world, fans and police - not really something they'd do if you ask me.

I think that Itunes Bono talk is another strong sign of the CD story (stolen or lost) being true. Looks like they didn't throw away any of the possibilities yet, and are covering all angles.
If the songs don't show up - fine, go ahead as planned. If they do - tough luck, but fans will still be able to get high quality, low priced product on Itunes. The majority of fans will buy the CD anyway.

Last but not least, why would they leak any songs if it meant early release of the album? U2 has carefully planned the promotion, and I don't see why they'd undermine it.

U2 and iTunes go back a ways, so we don't know if an iTunes release has already been planned or not.

About the police report; I think a release of the police report would make this whole thing more legit. I don't think the band owes us anything at all, but an actual police report, along with an actual, independently written news article, rather than endless rehashes of a U2.com report, would make this whole "theft" incident more, what was the word? "credible."

I guess if someone's decided they don't believe that story, nothing's really going to change their mind.

For all we know the band may have asked the French police to relase the report but they refused. Jeopardizing the investigation and all that.
(ps: there has been an independent article, from the Guardian, with an actual name of the police officer. i suppose U2 controls the newspapers too?)

Exactly, band owes us nothing. So let's not act like they do.

Last edited:
U2DMfan said:

When they wandered out to take some locations pictures, Edge neglected to press "Eject". Apparently, the band were all posing in an empty swimming pool, 50 metres from the studio."

brilliant:lmao:

strangely enough, i have no desire to hear the new album until its official release.

I'm with U2girl...
respectfully asked, martha...do you think the Guardian article was not independently done, the one where they report that the French police have launched a major investigation and say that this official, Guy Sapata, who I did an attempt at checking on and who does indeed exist in frenchlanguage links (sorry, my french is stinky..took spanish in school!) as a detective in S. France (I've seen him mentioned as working in marseilles, and also in nice, but it's hard for me to get like a nicepolice.com website lol!), is in charge of it?
And where they say they're interrupting bastille day holidays with this and so on...just a feed from U2 direct to the guardian?
hard for me to believe...

releasing a report on an ongoing investigation seems unwise, if not officially against whatever policies they have.

poor boys, I bet, feel really funny about the whole thing anyway.
There they were having a good time, left it in the machine to go outside and take some photos, and come back and its gone. maybe didn't even want to have to make it get to that point of getting cops involved. wishing the stupid shit who took it would just give it back. like when you're in the schoolyard and you know it just had to have been one of these people you thought were your friends who took your precious thing, but now it's gone and where the hell is it?! Must suck.
Rather embarassing to tell the tale. Feels like a betrayal, like a bad scene from a hey dude where's my cd sketch. Having a little party, you go outside for a smoke and a photo and it's gone. Forgot to press eject to go the 50 meters away to take a snapshot. Tsk tsk, some say, you should know better. But they felt safe among their 'people' and how sucky that they weren't! Maybe someone pressed eject for them and didn't know what it was, etc. still maybe true. but it must be painful to even recount the tale, and so I'm not surprised they're not holding press conferences about it. it's not like someone took it from a parked car or a coat check at their hotel after all. it was at their bloody party among associates and staff and mag people. It seems like it went down just like that, and the cops had to come in and say okay, who was at your little party and question the 'guests', ya know?
And then they have to decide, well, if someone of these hair stylists or photo people did take it, would they sell it, would they fuck up our release or would they just keep it in a drawer? well, now too late, the record company people need to know, it's still gone, and I guess we gotta go tell the cops and meet with the suits and decide what to do.

Everyone gets to think what they want of course, but there's just nothing I've heard yet that would make me believe its a stunt, even though folks can theorize little algorithm trees about how it's good or whatever in X Y or Z ways or it doesn't hurt or it's really about sneaking away control over stuff...U2 generally, aside from losing things, seems able to control a lot and don't need to sell their credibility away to change a release date, even in theory imho.

cheers all!

For some reason, I just can't fathom that U2 would have to sink to the level of making up a false story about a CD being stolen just to get attention. I mean, they're an enormously popular band that has been around for over 2 decades and made it through a lot of stuff to say what they want to say and play their music and they have a huge fanbase, and everyone ( well, not everyone) knows what U2 is or who Bono is, and you think that they wouldn't want this sympathy attention 4 months before the album is supposed to be released. U2 has been around long enough to know how to get the right attention and news about their album, and you think that if this was made up, they would have a slightly better story about how the CD was lost/stolen. If they say the album was stolen, then I believe them, even if that is kind of a dumb way to lose it. And if this whole story is a hoax, then I think that a lot of fans who have been so worried about this from the start and have been looking forward to this album for years will be deeply disappointed and if anything, U2 will lose fans, or whatever they were attempting to get in a hoaxed album theft story

Yep........absolutly...if this story was made up by u2, they would lose a lot of credibility....and fans...I really would be angry with them for using such a cheap trick to boost record sales!!
But, knowing U2, they wouldn't do that....I truly believe that the cd has been stolen, I mean it's possible, look at the achtung baby working tapes....they weren't ment to be coming out either!!...But, I sure hope that the stolen cd turns up on the internet because then the CD will come out sooner......and that's what I want........And man, we all know U2 can miss a few million!!...But, for those guys I hope that the cd is sent back to them,no harm done, and then the CD can be released in November!!....we all want the finest from U2!!!

martha said:

I wish it had been the other way around. A stolen Janet Jackson cd (stolen and completely gone) and U2 showing their boobies for publicity.

Martha is just, uh, "interested" in the thought of Justin Timberlake ripping off Larry's breast plate. :sexywink:

U2girl said:

For all we know the band may have asked the French police to relase the report but they refused. Jeopardizing the investigation and all that.
(ps: there has been an independent article, from the Guardian, with an actual name of the police officer. i suppose U2 controls the newspapers too?)

:shifty: Yes, yes they do! They control the newspapers, the French police, they control iTunes, everything! Bwhahaha

:rolleyes: I dunno if the theft is real, if the cd was simply lost, or if this whole thing is a ruse gone terribly wrong. Neither do you. There's no proof either way, only rumors, heresay, and vague news reports, which are strangely few and far between. Until solid proof of one situation or the other surfaces, I'm reserving my somewhat cynical judgment on the whole issue. I'm not going to join in the hand-wringing and crying over the "stolen" cd until somebody outside the band confirms its theft.

martha said:

:shifty: Yes, yes they do! They control the newspapers, the French police, they control iTunes, everything! Bwhahaha

:rolleyes: I dunno if the theft is real, if the cd was simply lost, or if this whole thing is a ruse gone terribly wrong. Neither do you. There's no proof either way, only rumors, heresay, and vague news reports, which are strangely few and far between. Until solid proof of one situation or the other surfaces, I'm reserving my somewhat cynical judgment on the whole issue. I'm not going to join in the hand-wringing and crying over the "stolen" cd until somebody outside the band confirms its theft.

exactly.

i also don't quite understand the outrage some of you are showing towards U2 if the story was made up. i really don't see the big deal in it. actually, i find it quite amusing. then again, i find Tom Green to be funny also.

Wait, so lying is okay in your world *only* if it serves a purpose (like self-promotion or increased riches) or *even* if it doesn't?

I mean, sure, one can still like the tunes no matter what, but imho it's kinda scary to treat integrity with such a 'whatever' cavalier attitude.

I realize it's kinda geeky but jeez, doesn't bono with his tendency toward extreme forthrightness and speeches about the plight of africans and people living with aids and so on --even taking into consideration his penchant for performance art--make it hard to jibe with such self-serving conspiracy? If not, the darkness of the world view makes me kinda sad....

I dunno if the theft is real, if the cd was simply lost... Neither do you.
right...neither do the band, nor the french police...that's the point. It's not like someone was 'allegedly' found running down the street yelling 'I have your cd U2!'...
There's no proof either way, only rumors, heresay, and vague news reports, which are strangely few and far between.
No, right, there's no 'proof' about what happened..but yes, officially Edge's quotes about what happened, or Bono's quotes to the Telegraph reporter about what they would do if it ended up on the net, are not a video feed or whispered in your own ear, so they could be made up...technically 'hearsay', a report of a report or a quote. I think they're not holding press conferences exactly *because* it's not a stunt but an unfortunate situation of some kind, nobody knows exactly what.

Until solid proof of one situation or the other surfaces, I'm reserving my somewhat cynical judgment on the whole issue. I'm not going to join in the hand-wringing and crying over the "stolen" cd until somebody outside the band confirms its theft.

well, we've seen reports from actual new agencies claiming that actual police actually claim they've conducted interviews and so on trying to 'confirm it's theft', but since that's the point of investigation, and the hearsay quotes from the boys leave you wondering about motives, then I guess only a confession from someone will satisfy you! made on video feed or whispered in the ear....of course, that person could have been put up to it as well...hmmm...I think I'm finally getting it now....

cheerio all!

Last edited:
martha said:

:rolleyes: Of course no one KNOWS what really happened. But from what we heard, there are several clues that indicate the CD is either lost or stolen.

- the first statements from Edge and McGuiness
- several reports about police involvement (not just U2.com)
- additional report about police questioning people present at the photoshoot where the album went missing, and the name of a police officer handling the matter is given
- additional comments form Bono and Edge
- talk of Itunes and releasing the album early (that's right, it's ALL just a big commercial for Itunes)

U2 always takes serious action when their music is out without their consent. Lovetown shows that got leaked when Bono had problems with his throat (which resulted in U2 firing member/s from their crew), closing down the factory that was pressing CDs of Salome outtakes, and preventing radio station to play the demo of ES.
Here we have missing new, finished material - far bigger deal than any of the above - so they act accordingly.

I, like many others, would be very dissapointed in the band if it would turn out to be a PR stunt. Because outright lying/cover up is not one of the things I'd connect with U2, plus it'd be really lame for a band that's been going for 20+ years to resort to cheap publicity like that. (publicity? all they had to do was leak the single if they wanted it)
That'd be just like Janet Jackson's "accident" at the Superbowl, except it's worse because she only bent the truth as opposed to lying.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

I, like many others, would be very dissapointed in the band if it would turn out to be a PR stunt. Because outright lying/cover up is not one of the things I'd connect with U2, plus it'd be really lame for a band that's been going for 20+ years to resort to cheap publicity like that. (publicity? all they had to do was leak the single if they wanted it)

I agree. Just imagine how Anton would feel if this turned out to be a set-up. I'm sure he'd really appreciate having his crew questioned by police and considered as suspects. Haha, funny :| :rolleyes: :tsk:

yeah, i love how the evidence "just doesn't seem credible".

martha, if we were wrestlers, we could start a tag team.

Hi guys :wave: to be honest, I DON?T BELIEVE AT ALL that very old story about a New Album stolen. I think I already heard that by many other bands before. is just a bad move for getting more records... a shame :mad:

The only band I?m 100% sure they were stolen before their new album came up is Radiohead. Yes, some guy found the MASTER TAPES and the songs were put on Kazaa several months before the Album "Hail To The Thief" were released. Actually, I got all those songs 2 or 3 months before Official Release, and the songs WERE 100% THE SAME !!!!!! :ohmy: except for " I Will" in which they removed first bars intro on the Official Album

So by the time the new album was released, so many fans have heard all the 14 new songs !!!:ohmy: including me, but that not really afected the band, since every fan bought the Official record anyway, because the stuff was So, So good and really worth have... I think with U2 the situation is the same, if the album is something awesome ( Joshua Tree, Acthung Baby ) the record will sell several millions indeed, but if the album is something disapointing :( ... U2 end :sad:

Back
Top Bottom