Happy Birthday Interference.com - 6 long years ;)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
A lot has happened....
a lot has yet to happen...
I'm getting nostalgic...
and I'll share memories, factoids, and maybe a lil surprise or two in the coming days - as I dig stuff up from the Interference vaults.

If you've been around since the beginning, a few years, or maybe even since the last tour, you're sure to have seen lil' Interference grow-up - feel free to share your memories if you care to.

----------------

6 years have passed.
Interference.com was conceived in late August of 1996,
while sitting on the ground, waiting to buy some tickets at Tower Records. At the time, "Elvis" didn't yet exist, Interference.com was hidden in secrecy as the first version was being built. There were two people invloved.... myself, and my friend Paul. Then, we were only known to a handful of IRC (chat) U2 fans in 'Efnet' #u2, as [The_Fly] and Me||aril, respectively.....
(to be contd)

Joel

Happy Birthday Interference! I havent been around that long but I do have great memories. Mostly from PLEBA. The PLEBA Mansion, elevated Bono, RSOC, all the stories, etc. This is the most amazing site ever!

:up:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY INTERFERENCE!! :D

smily357.gif

I have been here from the begginging and remember when we wouldnt have threads dissapering in backround only to give way to new ones. This has grown from a village to a town to a city to a metropolis. This place is what U2 is all about. This is what U2 wants, heated debate over issue that are important and yelling matches on what isnt important.

Feedback has become the most up-to-date place on the internet for U2 news facts and fans. If i want to know something about U2 i dont go to yahoo to search i come here and ask, because there will always be someone to help me.

We come here becasue we are all U2 fans but we also come here because we love the craic(bullshit) we love to be around people who are decent and care for eachother. I can only remember a few times in the last few years that in feedback that someone was removed because they were mean and actually didnt care. We are bound to have people who dont care come to a forum but for such a small amount that are U2 fans is great.

Thank you Joel for the last 4 years and thank you everyone else who put in hard work to run this forum and site. Its just a testament to what we do for a little band named U2.

Happy sixth b-day and many more to come!!!

Happy Birthday, Interference!!!!!

I have visited this site for quite awhile...in September of 2000, I began to peruse the forums. I finally registered in November...I remember being so shy...I was afraid to post!!! *lol* As you can all see though, I got over that. :D

So many great people here...people who have been a shoulder for me to lean on in rough times, especially Sicy, April, wannabe, and spanisheyes (don't think I don't appreciate all of those AIM talks because I really do!!!). People have done such kind things for me...sending me U2 gifts (LikeO2, ACROB@T, WhackaMole, SheIsRaging, u2sangel, Bono's American Wife, a lurker from Ireland, April, and Sicy offered...but I never took her up on it...*lol* BC = :crack: :D). All of the other people too...I love coming here and catching up with my friends about everything from U2 to cats to everyday things.

Elvis...I don't think there is a way any of us could properly thank you for this wonderful creation. :hug:

Thanks Elvis for giving U2 fans a place to talk about the greatest band on the planet.:) Here's to six more good years....and many more albums.

I agree with everything that Bonoman said, I love this place so much, it is the one place where I can feel normal when it comes to my love for this Irish band, thankyou so much Elvis for creating this place and btw have you ever received any kind of thanks or for lack of a better word 'feedback' from U2 or their management/cohorts at all?????

:wave:

Well said bonoman and Bonochick. I?m addicted to Interference, gotta check it out several times a day. I got used to meet so many people from all over the world, so many different backgrounds, so many different cultures...but sharing the same love for U2. As an Interference friend said to me yesterday...it doesn?t really matter if U2 is the best band in the world, U2 is the best band in the world for me...I would add for every one of us.

Thank you so much Joel. You?re the best. ;)

awww, i've been visiting interference since 1997. i was looking at those archives someone linked to awhile ago, and i remember the layout of the site back then...it brought back so many memories. :)

why i didn't join the forums right away is beyond me. i remember, at the chat i used to go to, there was a huge debate as to which site was better: interference or zoonation. even then i thought this site was better! :D

unfortunately, i missed all the pre-pop hype with the discotheque stuff and all. :(

I have not been here from the beginning but I've been here long enough to become extremely addicted to this place and I have met so many wonderful friends that are very close to me. Especially you Joel.. you are of the kindest most giving people I have ever met and have done more nice things for me than I can count and have shared countless hours of deep conversations. You know how many times I have told you you are brilliant for this site and how many times you wanted to just give up and throw it away.. thank you for letting me tell you off and making you realize how stupid that would be. ;)

I had rediscovered U2 after many years thanks to Beautiful Day and Interference. I had never seen a site that had more information and so many wonderful fans than this. For years I felt I was alone being a U2 fan because none of my friends really liked them and I remember how excited I was when I first started posting here because I realized just how many fans like me there were and how wonderful it was to be able to share all the U2 excitement with other fans!

I :heart: interference.

Beautiful post, Sicy. :) You are truly one of Interference's greatest people...thanks for devoting countless hours to us. :kiss:

I'd also like to extend a huge thanks to Carrie (HelloAngel) for digging up all of the great U2 news out there and organizing it in one place for us...I never miss out on any news now! :D

Happy Birthday, Interference!!!!

I :heart: this place. A big thank you to Elvis and his staff!!!

:) :) :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

This place is sooooooo awesome! Everyone that I have talked to is really nice and I have made a lot of friends that I hope to someday meet in real life. I hope to continue to make new friends!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

:hug:

Thanks to Elvis, Sicy and all the Mods!

Pretty much what everyone else has said. And then some times x2.

I cannot truly express my feelings here as I find them along the way sometimes, waiting to be renewed.

This place is great, and a fabulous time it is that i have spent here.

My thanks to Joel and his crew who keep this thing going:up:

ok... I just got back from an incredible night with some friends at an incredible sushi bar... and to say the least.... *cough* I need some =rest=. I decided to check the forum b4 bed (b4ipassout)and have th BIGGGGGEST smile on my face :D thanks for all your comments so far :D ...

as far as someone asking about u2 appreciating this place...
I first met with the band in October of 2000, Edge and Bono both thanked me for 'shaping the online u2 fan community'. I never expected any praised from them, honestly, but I was pretty much humbled at that point. There have been times when certain people (specifically rival fan sites) questioned my motives, but the reality it... I LOVE U2, I love the U2 community, and I originally felt that 'u2 newbies' were excluded from the best u2 info/news.... and I wanted to change that. I wanted to (not to sound corny... forgive me) share my love for U2, their music, and the fan community with as many others as possible. Sicy was right, there have been times where ive wanted to give this all up.. where it became toooooo much of a burden, or work... but i vowed when I started Interference.com... that IT would exist and grow... as long as their were people that appreciated it. People like sicy, the people that are willing to put SOOOO much of their own time into the u2 community, are the ones that remind me that Interference.com must NOT cease. Forgive me for boasting... but with this I'm damn proud... the original goals of Interference.com are/have become reality:

1) we have the most complete set of u2 lyrics (thanks john!)
2) we have the LARGEST collection of u2 live shows and other multimedia, available via NewMedia 2.0 (thanks Arun for the vision and the HARD work!)
3) we have the LARGEST U2 fan community/organization that exists, not only online, but in the world.

Forgive me for my ego... but its not my ego... its all of ours! We all make up this community, make it work, and make it grow. Each person that visits or participates is part of the 'life force' of U2 fans, and that of which that 'powers' Interference.com

Ok.. i've rambled MORE than enough... enjoy... this is one of the rare times when you will actually catch me posting while overtired... AND -slightly- intoxicated.

Joel
please address any flames to:
joelwasslightlyintoxicated@plot180.net

;)

thanks for replying to my question Elvis I appreciate it, I am glad to know that the guys are aware of this place and you and hey you are alowed to be honest and have a bit of an ego- if I were you I would be damn proud of this place, it truly is a great community and thankfully you had the vision and the time and patience to see it flourish, once again - Thanks!!!!!:wave:

Our thanks to you, Elvis, could probably never compare to what you've done for us as a community.

I hope you know that the joy you see among us Interferencers here, is just a reflection of our deepest gratitude.

Hapy Birthday, Interference.com!

Thank you so much, Joel for your great work!

Couldn't live without that place anymore!

I used to read the interference news while i was bored between uni lectures. I've now been established in my chosen career for 4 years. So that shows you how long Ive been hanging round this place(elvis may add "like a bad smell" to that sentence hehe ;) ).
I came here not long after the forum opened because I had been 'WAITING' for a U2 message board to pop up as I am, lets face it, a message board junkie.
Feedback filled the void that Wire left. I came into a lil place where puppies named skeek were talking about u2 remixes and thought 'hooray, finally somewhere where people obsessed as me are gathering'.

I think I have a love/hate rship with this place sometimes. Addictions are that way.
Some of the threads here have provided me with a lot of smiles, a lot of great U2 info and discussion, but mainly the stepping stone to some of the best friendships and most wonderful people ever.
elvis, you saying you still have the bikini thread lying around? ;)
i wish i knew the name of that feedback disco thread. im sure its where i first met some of the real characters of this forum. i still remember a thread where a hyper guy named 'zoomerang96' was begging me to sell him my fly shades. i thought he was a fruitloop and didn't even bother responding. :laugh:

here i met some truly beautiful people whom i don't think i'll ever forget even if we leave this place and our lives never cross paths again. the people are now what keeps bringing me back.
to those whom I wouldn't have met if it hadn't been for this place, who've touched me more than they'll ever know and many of whom i owe SO MUCH and adore...
bryan, brian, michael c, jennifer, nick, arun, laura, jenny, davey, rafs, bethany, marta and paul, krys, christiana, dave, sara, maja, peter, nikki, alan, brandon, karen, the bear, bama, furrygirl, bryce, naya, julie, christina, paul f, jon, daniel, johan, michael g, anna, jimmy, ian, and craig.
at first it was that rush of excitement about new u2 music, and its great that this thread/b'day has come at this time because we seem to have come full circle with that same excitement happening all over again. its great to see and i'm glad i'm a part of it.

Thanks elvis and Happy Birthday Interland.

Amanda of the Zooropa kind :heart:

Last edited:
I remember when I first came to interference, last summer. The very first thing I did when I became obsessed with U2 was ask on another message board I was at where I could find a good U2 message board. Someone pointed me in this direction and I'm so glad they did. I was pretty overwhelmed when I got here because on the board I used to go to there were only about 5 forums. I had to spend about ten minutes on the main page here working out what they were all for :laugh:

I was a very new U2 fan when I first came here - I only had ATYCLB, AB and JT, and I didn't even know which one of the band was Larry and which one was Adam!:silent: They were just 'the other two' :lol: :larry: :adam:
But that all changed once I came here :yes:

Thank you Elvis for starting this place and taking the time and effort to keep it the best U2 community on the net. And thanks to all the mods and everone else who makes this place what it is :hug: :up:

Happy Birthday Interference!!!!

A sad memory... days before I was invited to meet U2 we came accross the news of the fallen Joshua Tree.....

From Music365, as reported on October 16, 2000:

As U2 celebrate their first UK Number One single in three years, a fan website has reported that the iconic Joshua Tree featured on the cover of their album of the same name, has fallen.

Interference.com has reported that the tree, located outside Death Valley National Park, has keeled over. U2 fan Jim Stroup, who visited the tree recently is reported as saying: "I am sad to say that the tree has fallen over. I have known of its location for many years, and have visited it often, and on my last trip there a week ago I found it laying on the ground. It looks like a large branch had fallen off and then the tree became lopsided and fell over. I counted the rings and it appeared to be about 80 years old."

U2 fans have been making pilgrimages to see the tree since it was chosen to feature on the 1987 album.

In happier U2 news however, vocalist Bono has spoken of the band?s delight in securing the Number One slot with their new single ?Beautiful Day?.

Speaking on ITV?s cd:uk programme from his Dublin home, the singer said ?It feeels like our best No.1 yet. At first we didn?t feel it was that important to get to the top of the pop charts ? we?re a rock band ? but after such a long time away from the charts, it?s great to be back.?

Bono also revealed, possibly with his tongue wedged in his cheek, that his band would be celebrating their chart success by joining Robbie Williams for a game of bingo.

Congratulations to all of the staff on Interference for making it such a great site!

Really i think there's too many people to mention that were special to me for any reason:
- all the people that were kind enough to burn U2 CDs for free for me (Sula, Acrob@t, Sicy, Jayhawk, Johnny Vaughn, Hortencia) you put me in a huge debt :)
- all of those who i emailed with or PMed with or had a great time or a good discussion here in the forum (i think you know who you are, and thank you very much Amanda for adding my name to the list)
- those who support me in my "Confessionals" threads and in the pics thread and just about any of my insecurities rambles
- and to all who put up with my temper whenever it was "out of control"

It keeps getting better in here you know? :) The people really make this place.

Back
Top Bottom