Good God AB is brilliant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Given that this has already strayed far off-topic (the original poster didn't mention Zoo TV, but was only speaking about Achtung Baby the album), I have a question for you, Axver. Why on earth do you feel compelled to post in every Achtung Baby/Zoo TV thread? This whole forum knows your thoughts on the matter. Why must you turn every positive thread into a rehash of the same, tired old argument?

Also, you should really check out that Interference video. The band talks quite candidly about the state of mind they had after Lovetown, and the birth pains that Achtung Baby went through. It's a very interesting watch and will give you some insight into what they were thinking circa 1990-1991.

hey axver, the truth is that U2 saw the first bright light of what would finally become ACHTUNG BABY at western springs / auckland, nz, but they didn't even know then.
definitely they fathered their baby in auckland during soundcheck when the Edge came up with the melody for ACROBAT. one of the major catalysts (or the left testicle:sexywink:) definitely was GOD Part II (played on 2nd show 11-11-1989). without GOD part II we never ever would have listened to gems like THE FLY, ACROBAT, UTEOTW...
is anybody out there who has a copy of the western springs soundcheck with the first appearance of the ACROBAT?

Pero said:
Lovetown-sucks
ZOOTV rocks

Rattle and Hum sucks(Joshua is great)
ACHTUNG BABY ROCKS

LOL... :wink:

Achtung Baby RULES.... their best album and the band at their most creative.

Axver said:

I will. Achtung is shockingly over-rated.

I wish U2 had never made it.

I don't know Axver, the band needed to change...thats how bands stay around for more than ten years. And don't forget that no Achtung Baby would inevitably mean no How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, your second favorite album :wink:

Achtung Baby is the greatest musical purchase of my life.

i wish i had been able to see them on the ZooTv Tour. I wish they'd put something out on DVD from that tour, and if any of you lovelies would like to help me out and get something i would be more appreciative than you know. i don't have jack to trade, but i can send blanks....bonovoxkite@yahoo.com

sorry about that. haha.

i love Achtung Baby. i love Ultraviolet. if they played it i'd probably completely lose control of all bodily functions, which actually might be bad, oh well....

Achtung Baby
Best album
EVER.
Endlessly listenable.
I've had my copy for thirteen years and it is out of breath from constantly spinning.

Achtung Baby is a good/very good album. Not my favorite, but still, very consistent and enjoyable.

Still...

Zoo TV > Joshua Tree > Achtung Baby > Rattle And Hum > Lovetown

So there. :wink:

Axver, if U2 were having so much fun with Lovetown, how might you explain these quotes?

From 'VH1 Legends: U2':

Narrater: (After having spoken about Adam's drug bust just before Lovetown)"U2 forged ahead with the tour, but they were less than enchanted with the task. At one point, Larry told Bono that he was tired of being the human jukebox churning out everyone's favorite U2 hits"

Larry: "I remember going to Bono and just saying, you know, this is not working. I saw Bruce Springsteen, and he's a guy who's been at this a long time, and, he had that joy on stage, he was REALLY enjoying it, he was LOVING it. Except, we get up on stage, and it's HARD WORK. It's like we're workin' at it, we're workin' at it, we're struggling every single gig, and, I said it's just not much fun anymore, and, maybe it's time to reconsider this whole thing, 'cause, uh, I'm sort of tired of it, I'm actually tired of doing this, LIKE this, um, and he said, yeah, take your point"

From the Tour Programme I got at the Elevation Tour show I went to:

Question: "What are the psychological costs of touring?"

Edge: "The thing about touring is this: the day that touring feels really comfortable and the lifestyle makes sense to you is the day you know you've got to go home. The worst for us was on the Australian leg of the Lovetown tour. We were doing indoor venues and the demand for tickets was such that we were doing, I think, ten nights in Sydney and eight nights in Melbourne. I think not having the momentum of travel made people go crazy. There was a certain look in people's eyes. People were staying up really late, drinking heavily and playing poker with B.B. King and his band. It was a little bit of a worry. Even the hotel staff seemed to be going crazy. At the very least, I think, just getting away from the tour organization from time to time is a safety valve because otherwise otherwise you end up feeling like a piece of hand luggage. There are times on tour that we run away from the circus, so to speak."

From what Larry and Edge say, does it seem to you like they were having such a great time during Lovetown, Axver?

Yeah, this is where most of us disagree with Axver. I love the 80's material, and the Lovetown tour sounded great. But to be able to change your musical direction and come out with a masterpiece like Achtung Baby is truly amazing. Every artist goes through it - a change of direction in their music to keep it fresh, keep it different, keep it interesting. But not too many people can do that and come up with an album like Achtung Baby. Absolutely incredible.

And I saw a show on the ZooTV tour. Yes, the setlist didn't change that much, but the band sounded unbelievable and the spectacle that was ZooTV just enhanced it that much more.

Some of my favorite U2 songs come from the 80's (Bad, One Tree Hill, Hawkmoon 269, etc.), but I for one love how they recreated themselves in the 90's and can't wait to see how they transform themselves again...

Essentially they were playing their hit songs on the Lovetown tour, they played pretty much all the hit songs off Joshua Tree, hit songs off Rattle and Hum, Unforgettable Fire and some old gems.

I think the reason the setlists were so varied on the Lovetown Tour is because the band was getting bored, that's why they played an entire set backwards.

Remember, despite the fact that ZooTV had a static setlist they weren't playing all the hits, all the songs they played off Achtung Baby and Zooropa were considered fresh and new.

But ZooTV was a really long tour, so I am pretty sure by the end of the tour they were burnt out anyway.

ok. so Zoo TV had a bit of static set-list. so what??!! nobody can afford to go to every single gig of the tour, hell, people were probably lucky to go to 2 or 3 gigs of that tour. if you only got to see them play once or twice i don't think anyone would care if the set-list happened to be the same as the previous night.

AB is also probably the most important album they ever made. it allowed them to be relevant and popular after over 10 years in the music business and added another 10 years onto their career. everything they did after 1992, in one way or another owes itself to Achtung Baby.

Axver said:
Meanwhile, they just seem to be acting and hiding behind masks during ZooTV.

The lyrics Bono wrote for Achtung Baby were some of the most honest ones he has written in his entire life. Wasn't he quoted somewhere as saying "give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"?

miss becky said:
Given that this has already strayed far off-topic (the original poster didn't mention Zoo TV, but was only speaking about Achtung Baby the album), I have a question for you, Axver. Why on earth do you feel compelled to post in every Achtung Baby/Zoo TV thread? This whole forum knows your thoughts on the matter. Why must you turn every positive thread into a rehash of the same, tired old argument?

Also, you should really check out that Interference video. The band talks quite candidly about the state of mind they had after Lovetown, and the birth pains that Achtung Baby went through. It's a very interesting watch and will give you some insight into what they were thinking circa 1990-1991.

I could ask a similar question of you. Everyone knows you worship the Zoochtung era, and yet you keep on posting about it. Why? Your answer to that question will be markedly similar to my answer to yours.

And hopefully one of these days, when they release ZooTV Sydney on DVD, they'll put the Interference video on as a bonus feature. I'd like to see it.

namkcuR said:
Axver, if U2 were having so much fun with Lovetown, how might you explain these quotes?
[...]
From what Larry and Edge say, does it seem to you like they were having such a great time during Lovetown, Axver?

The funny part is how those quotes seem to be in stark contrast with the attitude of the band that comes across from recordings at the time. I can't explain those quotes. But what I know is that U2's performances during the era were high quality and the hallmarks of a band at the top of their game, not the signs of a band going nuts from touring and feeling like a jukebox. The actual atmosphere of the tour and the subsequent quotes seem to contradict each other.

LJT said:
Is that not a quote Bono used by Oscar Wilde:huh:

Yeah, now that I think about it, it was. I think Bono said, "It's like Oscar Wilde said..." and I just forgot that it was Oscar Wilde that originally said it. I probably should have looked it up, but I couldn't remember for the life of me where I read it. It was probably in "U2 At the End of the World."

Bono's shades said:

Yeah, now that I think about it, it was. I think Bono said, "It's like Oscar Wilde said..." and I just forgot that it was Oscar Wilde that originally said it. I probably should have looked it up, but I couldn't remember for the life of me where I read it. It was probably in "U2 At the End of the World."

Its alright mate...i was just trying to work out whether it was Oscar Wilde myself:)

And on the Seventh day God said 'Achtung baby!"
What a perfect and timeless album.
Look how relevant the themes are. Zoo TV could set sail today and it would hit home even harder. Sensory overload, media blitzes, Too Much Information, wars far away being ignored or treated like a video game, bush in office.
Creative genius.

Axver said:

I could ask a similar question of you. Everyone knows you worship the Zoochtung era, and yet you keep on posting about it. Why? Your answer to that question will be markedly similar to my answer to yours.

Let's see...maybe because my posts are relevant to a thread that is meant to be positive about AB, while yours are not?

Axver said:

Well, with the commencement of the 1992 tour, U2 had two choices:

1. Continue all the good work of Lovetown. Varied setlists mixing stellar performances of new material with masterful renditions of old.

2. Destroy all that good work.

I still cannot fathom why they chose #2. Heck, they still could've had all their masks and - maybe to a lesser extent - their technology with #1.

I'm sorry in advance for having to say this:
Axver, you're impolite and full of shit!!!!(yeah, sorry)
If you make Lovetown adoration thread, we'll all come and say it's good/bad, whatever, BUT IN ONLY ONE POST!!!!!!
As i said in my previous post in this thread:

Lovetown sucks
ZOO TV rocks
R&H sucks
ACHTUNG ROCKS
period.

okay, i really didn't want to say this, but i guess i have to: some people need to stop trolling. it used to only be a problem when we'd have pop threads but now it appears that ALL of the 90s work can't be talked about for fear of someone coming in and thinking we just all must hear their opinion on how much it sucks.

you don't like achtung baby? fantastic. you think it's overrated? great. you think the album should've never been made? awesome. keep the opinion to yourself if you come across these sorts of threads, as what you're doing is trolling, and it's getting old. if you don't want people to shit all over your lovetown threads, don't shit all over people's achtung baby threads. live and let live. now everyone, stay out of any U2 album appreciation thread unless you have something POSITIVE to say about it! why the mods must repeat it every time is beyond me. but i'm getting sick of it.

Well said, Katie! And I don't give a fuck what anyone thinks... Achtung Baby is the greatest album ever made.

It's my favourite, though I'd rather it was just a ten track album like Zooropa, as I have little feeling towards both So Cruel and - shock - One. I just don't think they fit. I would mention TTTYAATW as well, but I think it's a pretty nifty song live.

Everything else on the album rocks, especially The Fly and Ultraviolet. One of my favourite albums from '91, if not my favourite - and that actually says a lot.

KhanadaRhodes said:
okay, i really didn't want to say this, but i guess i have to: some people need to stop trolling. it used to only be a problem when we'd have pop threads but now it appears that ALL of the 90s work can't be talked about for fear of someone coming in and thinking we just all must hear their opinion on how much it sucks.

you don't like achtung baby? fantastic. you think it's overrated? great. you think the album should've never been made? awesome. keep the opinion to yourself if you come across these sorts of threads, as what you're doing is trolling, and it's getting old. if you don't want people to shit all over your lovetown threads, don't shit all over people's achtung baby threads. live and let live. now everyone, stay out of any U2 album appreciation thread unless you have something POSITIVE to say about it! why the mods must repeat it every time is beyond me. but i'm getting sick of it.

Oh, it's ok. I don't mind Axver. He's not a troll in my book. I know a real troll when I see one. If there was one in a thread like this I'd have e-mailed you and neutral and sicy et al by now. Axver's not causing any problems. He's just being a douche on purpose and that makes the forum more interesting :wink:. He loves a third of the songs on AB, believe me. He thinks UTEOTW, The Fly, Acrobat, and LIB are great. He doesn't mind Zoo Station either and he loves Wild Horses so long as it's live. He doesn't have any great hatred of AB. It's just an overwhelming love for Lovetown. Notice how Axver is typically not as hard on Popmart as he is ZooTV? If Popmart had come before ZooTV, then Popmart would've been the murderer of Lovetown and it, instead of ZooTV, would be the subject of his scorn. I'm rambling now but the point is that Axver is harmless and he is hardly a troll. A real troll wouldn't bother to back up his points, and wouldn't be as passionate about U2 as he is.

namkcuR said:

I don't mind Axver. He's not a troll in my book.

I agree

But Khanada is right in saying that maybe we should stay the hell out of appreciation threads if we dont have anything positive to say. If you enter an appreciation thread only because you want to let everyone know how much something suck, then you ARE just trying to stir shit up..

Back
Top Bottom