A stunning article from a truly gifted man...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was extremely excruciating to read BONOs comments.. and i hope that I never have to go through that again....I only hope THE EDGE writes less like a complete fucko etc.

Seconded. A stunning article? More like semi-incoherent drivel that is almost impossible to follow due to the random capitalisation, run-on sentences, and pathetic grammar. Thank god Bono normally writes lyrics rather than prose. Don't quit your day job, B-man.

Whew! I thought I was the only one who thought it was pretty damned clunky! :lol: I do wish it was a little more coherent.

That's exactly what makes literature interesting!

I'll read prose like that any day. It's challenging.
There is so much boring writing out there. Bono uses some extraordinary vocabulary, I like that.

It's nothing to do with the vocabulary, but that almost every other element of his writing online isn't unlike that of an overenthusiastic thirteen year old on MySpace, perhaps bar excessive exclamation marks and sparkly gifs.

Don't forget it was a blog entry .. maybe a little long, but still. I see Bono adopting the style of the internet here. Overly-enthusiastic isn't a bad thing, either. If this is his general mood regarding the recording of the new album, I'm all for it.

That was both an interesting and frustrating read, Bono has a way with words but not punctuation. This kind of blog-style rambling is ok to read in small doses, but it makes my eyes itch after a few paragraphs.

That was both an interesting and frustrating read, Bono has a way with words but not punctuation. This kind of blog-style rambling is ok to read in small doses, but it makes my eyes itch after a few paragraphs.

'zactly.

couldn't read it.
got annoyed trying to follow it, the caps are just frustrating, and Bono's just trying way too hard to be meaningful.
"I miss my boyhood"???? i can see some people here melting into puddles over that but it really just kinda makes me gag.
love the b-man but, seriously, we wonder why non-fans ridicule :rolleyes:

OK, the Bono bashing is getting out of hand again. Sometimes I think the man cannot do anything without being jumped at.

Fair enough, I guess it's just a matter of your own mindset. I, for my part, see nothing wrong with the way this is written, maybe because I am a writer myself and know a lof of people who prefer a more experimental style of writing over the same old coherent boring stuff. So for me, this is a great piece of writing and I also found it very touching and personal.

Seriously, jumping on Bono just because of this random piece of writing is ridiculous. If you don't like the style or aren't used to it, that's fine, but the personal attacks are really annoying.

Maybe I'm too naive, but I am sure that Bono it totally honest and sincere in what he's writing. Some people are far too cynical to appreciate that.

And yes, I miss my childhood too, for many reasons. People can now go and laugh all they want, I don't care. And I'm glad Bono doesn't care either.

oh please, don't wrap the people who don't like this piece of writing up with the constant bono bashers.

I personally don't see any random bono bashing - no one so far has commented beyond this article - all i see are people who don't like this particular piece of writing which he wrote. kind of hard to criticise one and not the other don't you think? and yes, we should be allowed to criticise the odd thing here and there if we like.

for all his amazingness, and incredible moments - of which there are MANY - at times Bono makes me cringe and this is one of those times.
in this case where you see "honest and sincere" i see contrived and someone trying just that little bit too hard. what you think is a great piece of writing, i find rambling and clunky.
And I don't care if you or Bono or anyone else misses their childhood or not, I just think it's a rather melodramatic way to sign a letter off.

...know a lof of people who prefer a more experimental style of writing over the same old coherent boring stuff.

Agreed. Presenting one's ideas in a clear and logical manner is such a snooze. :yawn: Writing would be much more entertaining if we all just neglected syntax and embraced awkward sentence construction.

Can you highlight the "personal attacks" for me, LU? I can't seem to find them. Perhaps we have different definitions of what a "personal attack" is. You seem to see it as anything slightly dismissing your idol.

oh please, don't wrap the people who don't like this piece of writing up with the constant bono bashers.
:up: differing discourse is what makes the world go round

I personally don't see any random bono bashing - no one so far has commented beyond this article - all i see are people who don't like this particular piece of writing which he wrote. kind of hard to criticise one and not the other don't you think? and yes, we should be allowed to criticise the odd thing here and there if we like.
:up:

for all his amazingness, and incredible moments - of which there are MANY - at times Bono makes me cringe and this is one of those times.
in this case where you see "honest and sincere" i see contrived and someone trying just that little bit too hard. what you think is a great piece of writing, i find rambling and clunky.
And I don't care if you or Bono or anyone else misses their childhood or not, I just think it's a rather melodramatic way to sign a letter off.

Guess we'll have to agree to differ on this one. I loved it precisely because of its lack of structure, it felt real and I loved the images it evoked - but that's just me :D

I actually like his writing style mostly because it shows me the way he visualizes thoughts and words. He really does dance to his own drumbeat and it's a mark of a true genius. I've known this for a while, don't get me wrong, this fabulous piece merely reinforces this belief.

Good writing takes the reader on a journey. This work does that and more. It allows the reader to see (feel) what the writer has taken from the journey as well.

When I first read Bono's last line, I remembered his comment during the POP album...something like REAL MEN CUT THEIR HAIR.That seemed to be where his head was at at the time...facing 40 and all that it entails. When I read his present statement about missing his boyhood, I saw it as another stage of maturing.

I believe that including that last line was very generous of Bono.

This piece of writing doesn't change my opinion of Bono, but the "Bono's shit don't stink" mentality of some people around here has got to go. I bet if I wrote that article, none of you would read past the second line.

This piece of writing doesn't change my opinion of Bono, but the "Bono's shit don't stink" mentality of some people around here has got to go. I bet if I wrote that article, none of you would read past the second line.

Gibson Explorer...I promise you that if you had written that piece, I would appreciate it just as much. Good writing is good writing.
I read all the time, and when I think something is exceptional, I say so. If you don't care for it, that's fine. I respect that.

Bono's probably a great human being and a credit to his race, but I found the writing to be self-indulgent and hard-to-follow. I like to write, too, and it is possible to have a creative voice and still stick to a more conventional style of prose. I'm not expecting perfect everything, since it is creative, just something that makes it less meticulous to read, is all.

What I enjoyed about this piece is that it sounded exactly like the way Bono talks. Many of the comments in this piece are things that he has said before some just ellaborated a little more. This piece for me was like an overheard conversation. The things he said about Edge you can hear in almost the same way in the HBO Off the Record interview for instance. I don't see this as in any way forced or trying too hard. I agree that sometimes the things Bono says and does can make you cringe but for me it is usually because it hurts to see someone be so open. Maybe he misses his boyhood because when you are young you are allowed to be ridiculous and silly and irreverant without being crucified for it. Bono has managed to keep a sense of childish wonder and joy that most of us unfortunately allow the world to crush out of us. It takes a lot of courage to face the world as openly as Bono does. Writing in a style that accurately mimics your style of conversation is not exactly easy. That's one of the things that makes this good writing to me.

Dana

you know you need new album or tour or song or anything to discuss when we are arguing over how bono wrote a blog/thoughts on Boy.

you know you need new album or tour or song or anything to discuss when we are arguing over how bono wrote a blog/thoughts on Boy.

Believe me, the new album will just be a distraction. Ultimately, a ton of people here get off on this sort of thing, no matter what's going on.

With all that I've observed around these threads:
No one has written out of the moment or said something that didn't make sense.
No one has ever made a grammatical error or missed a punctuation.
No one says obscure or nonsensical things that no one else really understands.

You know, we are all so correct.
So please don't go somewhere and embarrass us in another blog, Bono.
What were you thinking?
God forbid we have to defend you across the journalistic spectrum.

Come on people, get a grip. Or let loose, please.
Don't take the world so seriously.. :lol:

Ps Bono's shit doesn't stink because he doesn' t do "Shit."

And I'm tired of those who sling it.

If you have an opinion, share it, but don't tell others their's has to go. That's just not cool.

With all that I've observed around these threads:
No one has written out of the moment or said something that didn't make sense.
No one has ever made a grammatical error or missed a punctuation.
No one says obscure or nonsensical things that no one else really understands.

You know, we are all so correct.
So please don't go somewhere and embarrass us in another blog, Bono.
What were you thinking?
God forbid we have to defend you across the journalistic spectrum.

Come on people, get a grip. Or let loose, please.
Don't take the world so seriously.. :lol:

exactly :applaud:

who gives a shit if he missed a stupid period, or capitalized in the wrong spots....does it really matter? It's a blog for fuck's sake...

Well I would because this style of writing appeals to me.

And the constant Bono bashing of some people has to go as well, because sometimes it seems every little thing the man says and does is considered reason enough to jump on him and make rude comments.

I actually like his writing style mostly because it shows me the way he visualizes thoughts and words. He really does dance to his own drumbeat and it's a mark of a true genius. I've known this for a while, don't get me wrong, this fabulous piece merely reinforces this belief.

:up: Great statement.

Back
Top Bottom