A new review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2_Guy said:
It's close to ridiculous the blind devotion of some Interferencers.

When we - "the glass half empty types" - say that something isn't THAT good the blind devotees come running to the rescue of U2 from those "negative ppl".

Maybe i'm older than most of you guys, maybe i have lived more than many of you, maybe i have more experience on many matters. Maybe i'm not 16 anymore like i was in 91 when AB first became part of my life... Maybe i don't share the same blind entusiasm shared by many of you new fans... Maybe i'm old enough to be realistic to the point that i made up my mind: U2 won't never again be as brilliant and relevant as they were till Pop.

They were - and still are - the grestest band ever. I have a huge collection, i buy all the versions for all the singles (just bought yesterday on Ebay the last CD single i needed to complete my collection, WGRYWH digipak UK limited version with 4 prints) and i'll still do it.

I never said this new album will be bad. I said it's never ever gonna be as good and relevant as AB, Zooropa or Pop. I don't fool myself.

History of rock n' roll music proved so far that a band never beats their best work when they are over 40. It's a fact.

U2 should be like Michael Schumacher or the brazilian football team (i'm brazilian hehehehe): they won everything they could, but they still have that fire that makes them want to keep winning. I'm afraid U2 lost that fire on the last gig of the Popmart...

Come on in positive ppl, go ahead and curse me, kick etc...

I am not a blind devotee or even that positive. I am just open minded. Yes, no one has made their best music over the age of 40. So what? I grew up in Tampa and the Bucs never won a football game in freezing temperatures. Then they did and went on to win the Super Bowl.

All I am saying is why bitch about something you have no experience with yet. What a fun way to live your life. :tsk:

I'm back from school now and I read all this comments and noticed that the track by track review wasn't included. Do you want them?

Anyway they can't please everybody. U2portugal gave his opinion. That doesn't mean that the album sucks big time. Actually I'm quite relieved to see that it's an album that need some listenings to get into to.

Oh and they never said it was a bad album, but an album that will grow on you. Don't you think this is positive?

Anyway, do you want the track by track review?

I don't really care if it's their best album. I never expected it to be. In my opinion "best" is subjective. ATYCLB is not their best album, but it's my favorite. HTDAAB may not be their best but I wouldn't be suprised if it's my new favorite.

Who knows? I'll love it though.

Solta a tradução, Zé! LOL

I kinda translated some of the track by track review, but i didn't have the patience to do it all.

There are 2 track by track reviews, right?

Don't bother.

a) The previews don't say anything we haven't heard already;

b) They're not very good previews (from a journalistic point of view, not in relation to wether they like the album or not).

I'd translate it myself, but honestly, it's not worth it.

Also, like I said before, I don't understand why people are saying these are negative comments on the album. Again, the people who wrote those articles LIKED THE ALBUM on the first listen an they believe they'll like it even more when they have a chance to listen in-depth. Somehow you're turning this whole thing upside down.

Tyagu_Anaykus said:
yes. I'm translating it right now. Wait some minutes.

Tiagão, me explica uma coisa: o que "malha" significa no português de Portugal? Pq malha no Brasil significa um tipo de pano, de tecido.

Na track by track review eles falam em malha toda hora, o que é isso?

Sem querer abusar, o que significa um "final com giro"??

Girar aqui significa to round... Or to ride... To spin...

What's giro on that review??

this thread is hilarious.

and for the record, i'm devoted to the band, but not blindly. i like whatever U2 releases, and consider myself lucky to be like that. if anyone wants to be jealous of me, that's fine. it wouldn't be the first time.:wink:

mikal said:
this thread is hilarious.

and for the record, i'm devoted to the band, but not blindly. i like whatever U2 releases, and consider myself lucky to be like that. if anyone wants to be jealous of me, that's fine. it wouldn't be the first time.:wink:

I'm glad we made you laugh, tom's bitch.

VERTIGO (3:13)

Equal to the Single version. The big rock tune we already know..

MIRACLE DRUG (3:54)

Has an intro that remind us TUF (strings), with “batida cardiaca” (drum beat? Sorry i don't know the right term) similiar to BD. Grat Bass, break with an huge piano. It's an open song but without a good chorus. The solo reminds us EBTTRT in slow motion. Good finale. A “grower”? (I don't know if this word actually exist. Portuguese people like to discover new words.).

SOMETIMES YOU CAN'T MAKE IT ON YOUR OWN (5:05)

Classic U2 ballad (WOW! This one is really good!)
Ultraviolet chorus riff in this chorus. Has an Epic part like Woman on Salomé outtakes.

LOVE & PEACE (4:48)

Electro-Industrial intro. Heavy bass, something like Nine Inch Nails (Ex: Personal Jesus). Good chorus and great guitar. (doesn't sound like U2).
It will be a great live track.

CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS (5:46)

Once again, TUF is present here. We can hear Street and Wild Horses in this one. At the end the song turns into something “psicadelica” (don't know how to translate this) but this the best part of the music. They didn't play this part on BBC's. It's not a classic but it'll grown on you.

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU (3:34)

Intro with some distortions. Great rock track making us to remember The Who (Won't get fooled again). Strong chorus. Great live track.

A MAN AND A WOMAN (4:27)

Mid-Tempo track with a weak chorus. Has an interesting finale.

CRUMBS FROM YOUR TABLE (4:59)

The weakest song on the album. Very confused. Should have been a B-Side or change with Fast cars.

ONE STEP CLOSER (3:48)

Huge song! A non-comercial slow like U2 use to do.(The First Time, Grace or the ballads from Passengers). Very subtile prodution. Without a doubt one of the best ones.

I'll put the rest in a moment.

Tyagu_Anaykus said:
quer dizer que é uma musica muito porreira. Mais ao menos isso.

Saquei, tipo uma música porrada no ouvido, pauleira. Valeu meu velho!:)

BTW, vc é grego ou português?

Thanks mate!

djerdap said:
This was not a bad review. And you cannot seriously evaluate an album(a U2 album especially) by hearing it ONCE. I mean, you have to swallow it. They say HTDAAB is reminiscent of UF. I didn't even like UF on the first couple of listens. It's one of my favorites now.

It took me 4 months to get into side to of UF and it is my favorite album now.

The ones that have to grow on you always are the ones you love in the long haul. 20 years in my case.

ORIGINAL OF THE SPECIES (4:34)

Another good track from HTDAAB.. Mid-tempo with a very good chorus. Beattles (Hello Goodbye\I am the Walrus\MMTour and it's gonna be huge when played live.

YAHWEH (4:22)

Epic but honestly... one of the weakests at first listenings.

FAST CARS

This song totally rocks! This is the proof that there is no need for 8 producers and 3 years to make a good rock song.Exotic, kinda arabic and pop at the same time. If they play it live it's gonna be a monster. It's a shame that this one is not included in the album.

Back
Top Bottom