Unpopular music opinions take II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kashmir? Black Dog? Whole Lotta Love? I mean, I speak Guitar Onomatopoeia, but even you gotta give me a break with a riff heavy rock band.

Not Kashmir. Thats more of a burburbur burburbur burburbur wherwherwherwherwherwherwherrrrrrrr

Let me youtube Black Dog

Nope, not black dog. Thats more of a burnurnurnurNURnur bernalernalerna burburburburburburburburubrrrrrrr

nope, thats more of a der der der der der der der dernerrrnerner der der der....

the key is where the bupbup and wher join together at the end of the riff to start it again... almost like there is a missing beat

So that's it then? You're just going to leave me standing here with my cock in my hand, not knowing what song I'm talking about?

It could be Houses. Good call, cori.

Off the top of my head, some of the other Zeppelin songs not mentioned with big rockin lead riffs are Heartbreaker, The Ocean, Living Loving Maid, ummm I don't know.

There's this one, which absolutely rules. One of my favorite Zeppelin songs, but it's not on any studio album, so I'd be surprised if someone who hates Zeppelin would have heard it. Maybe on the radio or somethin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byos2Tr5KrM

I can't believe I just spent like 10 minutes thinking about this based on your ridiculous berpberp wherwher post, JT. :wink:

I love that little a cappella breakdown in the middle of that song.

la la
la la la la
la la la la la la la la

la la
la la la la
la la la la la la la la

I'll try a few more times but it's so damn long.

yeah, there's a lot on it. but there's so much AWESOME on it, that's why it's great. and even in continuous cd form, it still very much has that side a/b/c/d disc 1/2 feel to it that makes it seem like a record rather than a bunch of songs. i don't know, i am biased. i friggin love that album. if we did a little search on here we'd go back a couple years and find a thread i started on how i knew zilch about the stones and was pleading for ya'lls' expert opinions on where to start. i was victim of 1) being one of those people who always believed it was beatles fan or stones fan and that you couldn't be both, and growing up as a huge beatles fan had always written the stones off as the band i couldn't like, 2) having only heard the really well-known songs and never really finding them all that worthy of their classic status. i still consider "satisfaction" extremely overrated, could do without "brown sugar," and will kill the closest person the next time i hear "jumpin jack flash" or "honky tonk woman". but since then i have changed my thinking, and in that thread the late mrbrau hooked me up, and got me hooked.

you know how some albums are considered must-have classics that belong in everyone's record collection? exile is one of those epicly long albums like the wall that people put into that category. but i can't stand to listen to the wall in its entirety. sure, it's a slightly different kind of animal, like the who's tommy in that they're rock operas where exile is not. but all three are massive double albums that music fans are supposed to claim as greatness. tommy and the wall have their place and all, but i can't sit through them. hell, if i want to listen to a who rock opera from start to finish, i will take quadrophenia over tommy any day. i've probably mentioned this before. hell, i probably put it in this thread (or its predeccessor) because it tends to fall under the category of unpopular opinions. the point was, exile is great. there might be a song or two i will skip, but that thing is awesome cover to cover.

Quadrophenia blows Tommy out of the the fucking water. top five all time for me.

The Wall? far too bogged down in Roger Waters' head to a good listen start to finish.

My problem with The Wall is that the story/lyric writing takes center stage over any kind of inspired music for the most part. Outside a handful of amazing tracks, it's rather generic late 70's rock.

Give me Wish You Were Here or Meddle any day of the week.

that's exactly my problem with it as well. the story is the focus and outside of about eight or nine songs it's very detrimental to the music. The Trial, for example, is garbage, while songs like One of My Turns and Don't Leave Me Now go nowhere for three minutes as Waters rambles on before winning a bit of respect with their final minutes.

Meddle is definitely better, and criminally underrated while we're at it. you take out Seamus and San Tropez and it's close to perfect, the flow is phenomenal.

I just bought The Wall about a week ago and I have to agree with you guys. Except for a few good tracks there's not enough interesting music for an album of that length. And I'd really like to know what they were thinking when they put The Trial on a record.

Quadrophenia blows Tommy out of the the fucking water. top five all time for me.

The Wall? far too bogged down in Roger Waters' head to a good listen start to finish.

Those are unpopular opinions? I thought those were generally accepted opinions. Or maybe I just assumed they were because I feel the same way. :hmm:

Here's another unpopular one from me.

I keep on trying to listen to Is This It by The Strokes and I don't think it's anywhere near as good as people say. In fact, the Strokes as a whole seem vastly overrated, with only a handful of catchy songs that I really like.

Oh, also, I don't get the Flaming Lips. At all. The only song of theirs I can stand is "Do You Realize?"

I got through Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots a couple years ago. Didn't really do anything for me, besides "Do You Realize?" and "Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell." Maybe I need to give it another spin. Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom