The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headache in a Suitcase said:

she's claming that it's sexist to make fun of her for crying on the post game show.

i'm claiming she's off her rocker.

Oh it's sexist alright...if it was Michael Kay blubbering like that trust me, he'd face much more ridicule. Somehow I don't think that's exactly what she meant though...

I'll go off the grid and say Todd Helton.

Oh and I call Micah Owings for most total bases in game 4...if the D'Backs make the World Series would they be crazy to DH him in the AL park? You probably wouldn't do it in the first 2 games, but say he pitches in game 4 and you're back in Boston/Cleveland for a game 6, he's not pitching again...I'd do it.

Hewson said:
So who do we like for most total bases tonight gang?

Matt Holliday -110
or
Eric Byrnes -120

?

Bodog currently has Holliday -125 and Byrnes -105. Did this line make a massive move in the last few hours?

EDIT: Nevermind, the line I just quoted is hits+runs+RBIs.

For the total bases prop bet, I think Matt Holliday -110 would be a better value, but I'm not sure either side is profitable. Obviously Holliday's power advantage is negated somewhat by the fact that he has to go up against Brandon Webb, but Webb actually gave up walks at a higher rate then Jeff Francis did, and Holliday drew walks at a higher rate than Byrnes, so that might make the difference.

Last edited:
CTU2fan said:
I'll go off the grid and say Todd Helton.

Oh and I call Micah Owings for most total bases in game 4...if the D'Backs make the World Series would they be crazy to DH him in the AL park? You probably wouldn't do it in the first 2 games, but say he pitches in game 4 and you're back in Boston/Cleveland for a game 6, he's not pitching again...I'd do it.
Its not most for all players, its a head to head, so that prop is Holliday vs Byrnes.

I went with Holliday, like speed said, seems the better value, but of course with this pitching matchup, they may both go 0 fer.

2 things:

1) The Yankee radio team are a fucking abomination. They embarass the shit out of me. Just unreal. She's a clown, there's no two ways about it.

2) Chip fucking Caray is atrocious. He yells everything. I read the NY Times article about all of his mistakes. but it goes beyond that. He's just not even pleasant to listen to. Toss in Gwynn and it truly is a challenging listen.

That reminds of the sickest bet I ever made...with my ex-boss, when we were working in LA...he's from Chicago, where I now live, and a life-long Cubs fan. So, in like 1998 I bet him that all 3 Caray's would be dead before the Cubs won another World Series. I'm 1/3 of the way home and feeling pretty confident about the bet. I had no idea I'd move here when I made that bet. Oh, I'm also going to hell for this, but whatever.

Wow. I don't think I've seen a double-play slide like that get called, ever.

No spoken words said:
Speedracer, are you kidding????

He slid, then did a hop to basically dive into Matsui's legs! Complete no-brainer of a call.

I agree that it's a foul and should be called more often. I'm just saying I've never seen it get called unless the runner is Albert Belle and pops the guy in the jaw.

Yeah, no kidding. Come on -- water bottles?? If you're going to throw stuff on the field, that's about the lamest thing you can throw out there. Whatever happened to throwing beer, hot dog wrappers and batteries?

I was at games 1,2,6 and 7 of the 2001 World Series. This was right after 9/11, so it was still an odd time. The Yanks lost all 4 of those games, so of course I was bitter...but my strongest memory of that series was just how fucked up their fans were. Just classless, rude and of course totally lacking baseball knowledge. It blew me away. And, Phoenix is not a bad city or anything. It was just a fucked up situation. So, tonight sucks but I have to say that it does not surprise me.

Go Rockies.

No spoken words said:
I was at games 1,2,6 and 7 of the 2001 World Series. This was right after 9/11, so it was still an odd time. The Yanks lost all 4 of those games, so of course I was bitter...but my strongest memory of that series was just how fucked up their fans were. Just classless, rude and of course totally lacking baseball knowledge. It blew me away. And, Phoenix is not a bad city or anything. It was just a fucked up situation. So, tonight sucks but I have to say that it does not surprise me.

Go Rockies.

What's odd about that is that Phoenix Suns fans have a generally good reputation...usually fan bases in a city will have the same personality regardless of the sport (take Eagles, Phillies, and Flyers fans for example).

The Rockies look absolutely unstoppable. It will be interesting to see how they do in the WS (because I think they're in)...they're hot but they'll face a better team in Boston/Cleveland.

What's even more amazing is that the Rockies don't have a true ace on their pitching staff. Francis comes the closest I guess with 17 wins, but his ERA was over 4, and that's quite poor in the NL. Furthermore, they only had one other pitcher hit double digits in wins. Amazing.

Pitching and defense wins playoff games, but the Rockies are bucking that trend right now. Makes you wonder how far it will take them. I personally don't think they can beat the pitching of the Indians or Red Sox, with the depth that both of those clubs have.

Current line for CLE-BOS game 1 is CLE +142, BOS -157.

Accuscore gives CLE a 46% chance of winning tonight. I'd jump all over this, but I can't bring myself to bet against my own team straight-up.

speedracer said:
Current line for CLE-BOS game 1 is CLE +142, BOS -157.

Accuscore gives CLE a 46% chance of winning tonight. I'd jump all over this, but I can't bring myself to bet against my own team straight-up.
Truth is with the series line as it stands (Cle +150, Bos -170), the proper bet would be Cleveland considering you'll get 2 starts each from C.C. Deville Sabbathia and Gerry Fausto Carmona.

The Sox should be favored, but not at such a price, more like Bos -140, Cle +120.

But much like you I can't/won't do it.

I never bet my team. Either I'd bet on them, and if they lost I'd be doubly pissed...or I'd bet against them and be torn between rooting against my team or rooting against money.

CTU2fan said:

What's odd about that is that Phoenix Suns fans have a generally good reputation...usually fan bases in a city will have the same personality regardless of the sport (take Eagles, Phillies, and Flyers fans for example).

Generally the NBA fan is a bit different though. Not sure what it is, but NBA fans (outside of beer tossing Pistons fans), they do not relate to the baseball/football/hockey fnas.

Just my opinion though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom