The Official NFL Thread, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your hatred of the Patriots notwithstanding, that should be a great game to go to.

The Bears might be undefeated still (although the Giants could have something to say about that), and the Patriots might only have one or two losses themselves (the Colts being the major game).

I've got no problem going to Boston for a game, it's a good sports city despite my moaning sometimes. I'll cheer for the Sox at Fenway, or the Celtics or Bruins.

I'll go, just don't expect me to actually root for the Patriots. Heck, my first NFL game might be fun, rooting for the visitors. :up:

Side note... why are the Patriots called "New England" Patriots? And not just "Boston" Patriots?

Is this some state-related nationalism I cannot figure it out?

Sorry for the deeply philosophical question...

The states of Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and Vermont are part of the region known as "New England". There are no other professional football teams other than the Patriots in these states, so I figure they're probably known as "New England" to cash in a little more in the region outside the city of Boston.

It's like if Halifax got a CFL team, they're going to be named the Atlantic Somethings, to try to draw fans from New Brunswick and PEI too.

Actually the Patriots were originally called the "Boston Patriots" when they played in Boston proper (Fenway Park and BU's Nickerson Field). When they built the original Schaefer Stadium in Foxboro (1971 I think, somewhere around there), the name was changed to "New England" as the team was no longer playing in Boston proper. I'm sure the idea of appealing to fans in ME, RI, VT, NH and CT was part of the equation of the name change as well.

DaveC said:

I'll go, just don't expect me to actually root for the Patriots. Heck, my first NFL game might be fun, rooting for the visitors. :up:
Regardless of who you cheer for, you should have a good time. The new stadium is light years ahead of the old barn in Foxboro. The only negative in comparing the 2 is the upper reaches of the 300 level in Gillette are way way up there, whereas the 300 level at old Schaefer/Sullivan/Foxboro Stadium was about half as high altitude wise.
But the place is much more comfortable (seats vs metal benches) and loaded with concessions and amenities.

Not a cheap day out, but a good time for sure.

And that Pats vs Bears game should be a dandy.

Hewson said:
Regardless of who you cheer for, you should have a good time. The new stadium is light years ahead of the old barn in Foxboro. The only negative in comparing the 2 is the upper reaches of the 300 level in Gillette are way way up there, whereas the 300 level at old Schaefer/Sullivan/Foxboro Stadium was about half as high altitude wise.
But the place is much more comfortable (seats vs metal benches) and loaded with concessions and amenities.

Not a cheap day out, but a good time for sure.

And that Pats vs Bears game should be a dandy.

Amazingly I will be at that game being that Pats tix are one of the hardest to come by in tese here parts...careful of the vertigo (no U2 pun intended.....really) you get when you climb up high and make sure to bring the $35 for parking....GOD I LOVE FOOTBALL GAMES:wink:

I have club seats though to Indy so I will deal with the nosebleeds for the Bears:silent:

When the Eagles win, I always have a terrible day in Fantasy Football, but when they lose half my team has career days.

:slant:

phanan said:
Are my eyes deceiving me? The Cardinals have rung up 14 points against the mighty Bears in the 1st quarter...

:ohmy:

I hate to say this, but if Drummin' Denny Green wasn't so damn predictable (1st down = run, 2nd down = run, 3rd down = pass), they could be up even more. This is the SAME shit we saw with the Vikings when he coached there.

I feel for the Cardinals fans out there.

Looks like the Bears are mailing this one in -- down 20-0, 7:25 left in the 3rd, 4th-and-goal from the 5, don't they have to go for a TD?

speedracer said:
Looks like the Bears are mailing this one in -- down 20-0, 7:25 left in the 3rd, 4th-and-goal from the 5, don't they have to go for a TD?

I'd think you go for a field goal.

Hear that guys?

If the Bears win tonight, it could be a mythical win.

Professional commentating :happy::down:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom