The Clash RULE!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u2popmofo said:
but I'll take what ever I can get

desperate, are you?

sorry i dissappeared on im last night, aim kicked me off and wouldn't let sign back on. i think the whole internet was down, or it was some kind of warning about being online all day :shifty:

This is the Essential Clash Review from NME, it was good so I thought I'd share:

Clash (1) : The Essential Clash

Without The Clash, NME would be a much drabber place. No Clash = no Nirvana, no Manics, no REM, no U2, no Libertines, no Radio 4, no anyone. Like a punk Marquis Of Queensbury, The Clash set the rules by which all indie/alt bands since have played by. This was a band that fused self-righteous ire and left-leaning political idealism with Mick Jones' love of Faces/Stones/Mott rock classicism, who collaborated with unhinged dub genius Lee Perry when most of their peers were learning their second chord, who weaved rocksteady, R&B and rockabilly into incendiary punk. Most of all they proved that anger and enthusiasm were just as important as - no, more important than - being able to play that tricky suspended fifth.

But do we need another double CD best of? Maybe, just for convenience's sake: the last three albums ('Sandinista!', 'Combat Rock' and 'Cut The Crap') were decidedly patchy. If you want the exhaustive anthology, you're best served by the triple CD 'The Clash On Broadway', but 'The Essential Clash' serves their legacy admirably.

Steering well clear of any surprises - but also any crucial omissions - 'The Essential Clash' traces their various career incarnations as Westway-dwelling squat-punks ('London's Burning'), wistful suburban poets ('Lost In The Supermarket'), dubbed-out doleites ('Guns Of Brixton') and Yank-fixated rebel-rockers ('I Fought The Law'). Yet what comes out is their sheer idealism. Even at their most vitriolic, there was a sense of hope to this band, mostly marshalled by the late Joe Strummer.

Ask anyone: Strummer knew that what bands had to say mattered and that they're capable of changing the world. It was only when they sidelined their beliefs to spend ages attempting to break America that they stumbled. There's a warning there somewhere, Coldplay.

Even now, listening to this compilation sixteen years after split, it's still hard to work out what The Clash's greatest achievement was. Marrying street-level rock 'n' roll to politics without being crushingly worthy? Leading British punk away from its thugoid terrace-chant cul-de-sac? Continually resisting those offers to reform for one last American tour? Signing to a major label with integrity intact? Popularising elasticated post-disco NYC funk-punk? Never appearing on Top Of The Pops? Sporting paramilitary chic and not looking like complete goons? The Clash did it all.
Pat Long

Rating: 10/10

I finally saw the Hall of Fame induction ceremony...since I no longer have cable, I had my brother tape it for me. Anyway, I got all teary when the Clash was inducted...it was hard enough watching Lucinda get choked up...oh man.

I agree LadyLemon, didnt Tom Morello do a great job???? Edge was pretty good too. Easily the best inductors/inductions of the night were done by them.

adamswildhoney, if you like it that much, you should really look into buying "London Calling". It's easily my favorite album of all-time.

There are so many fantastic songs on that album you dont get on the Essential Clash cd's. If it were up to me, I would have made that thing 3 cds. and had the 3rd cd just be London Calling!!! :up:

I actually have been wanting to get "London Calling" for along time but I made myself get the Essential first that way I was sure I loved the music and sound. Its the next cd on my list to get!!!:yes:

*starts saving money, wishes Best Buy was in my town*

And the absolutely smokin' first album. UK or US version is up to you.

UK version - it's the actual album.
US version - it's technically a compilation, but it's f**kin great anway.

Yertle, you really get almost all of the first album songs on the Essential Clash cd's, which is pretty cool.

Both cds have 20 songs each! What a great 2 cd set. Great choices too. They all play well together, which is suprising for a compilation cd.

The Clash = :up:

I'm thinking of buying the Clash (UK), Essential Clash (or the Singles compilation, although that seems a little redundant now) and giving away the US version to my Slipknot loving friend.

Lady Lemon, I LOVE your sig!!! George!

I love The Clash almost as much as I love the Beatles. It's very very close. I love London Calling. I've got most of their stuff on LP via my parents, although my lp's don'tt get nearly enough attention as they should.

MiniFly said:
I love The Clash almost as much as I love the Beatles. It's very very close. I love London Calling. I've got most of their stuff on LP via my parents, although my lp's don'tt get nearly enough attention as they should.

:up: MiniFly, I am totally down with your choice of bands!! The Beatles :up: The Clash :up: U2 :up:

both UK and US versions are worth having cos they're different enough

the clash=one of my favourite bands ever. same as u2 and the beatles...seems like i'm not the only one :up:

yertle-the-turtle said:
all that phony Beatlemania has bitten the dust...

Just kidding, of course. I love the Beatles.

that was actually the reason i initially hated the clash, cos of that line...

u2popmofo said:
I agree LadyLemon, didnt Tom Morello do a great job???? Edge was pretty good too. Easily the best inductors/inductions of the night were done by them.

Yes, they were both excellent!!

MiniFly said:
Lady Lemon, I LOVE your sig!!! George!

Thanks! The Beatles changed my life, and well, when I was around 13, practically saved my life. But as I get older, I rarely listen to them, and now the Clash are on their way to becoming my favorite band along with U2. There's like this hazy line with bands that are "runners up" in my list. Heh, I'm such a freak.

I might be getting the Rock the Casbah 12"!!! Woo-hoo!!!

:hyper:

rock the casbah 12''?? cool!

*still contemplating buying "gates of the west"/"groovy times" 45*

i need to get super black market clash, i don't have it. it's got capitol radio TWO!!! which is really just a funkier version of capitol radio one. it's got a bunch of other stuff i haven't heard

yertle, your sig got that manic street preachers stuck in my head. now i won't be able to get rid of it all day :p

I recommend the Manics' earlier stuff, it's very Clash-like. Motown Junk especially. Which is oddly enough not one of my favourite Manics songs. Stay Beautiful and Motorcycle Emptiness are better, in my opinion, but prepared for some sloganeering!

I'd love to hear City of the Dead studio, I've only got that on From Here To Eternity.

Last edited:
yertle, you've got blur in your avatar :up:

*thinks about what 'city of the dead' studio version is on* :scratch

i think we've got earliy manic street preachers albums at the campus radio station *writes in big letters "look for manic street preachers albums" on a piece of paper*

city of the dead is on the clash on broadway box, too. that's what i was thinking of...

You know, there's a bit of a problem when you open too many threads at the same time. The Blur thing was supposed to go into the 'what are you listening to' thread.

yertle-the-turtle said:
You know, there's a bit of a problem when you open too many threads at the same time. The Blur thing was supposed to go into the 'what are you listening to' thread.

that's what i thought ;)

Back
Top Bottom