Shuttlecock IX: Romi and Miss Sil's Line Rules Disunion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, cunt is frowned upon more than any other profanity I can think of here. I do get some shit also for saying things like "Jesus fucking Christ" from the more religious among us. And I don't partake in words like n*gger or f*ggot, though I know people who still employ the latter.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I see those two as far more offensive than cunt. Cunt is just a noun.

Those two words have hateful motivations and intent. Cunt is arbitrary. If people get upset, that is just because they have ascribed meaning to it. It reminds me of Stephen Fry's quote about 'taking offense':

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what."

Yeah, I was just being ornery. I mean class as in 'let's have a conversation about economic redistribution.'

Oh, as in social stratification and demographics? As in Australians don't really have class structures because they are laid back? Or as in Australians are so crass that they all belong to the lower class?

Those two words have hateful motivations and intent. Cunt is arbitrary. If people get upset, that is just because they have ascribed meaning to it.

:up::up::up:

Yeah, cunt is frowned upon more than any other profanity I can think of here. I do get some shit also for saying things like "Jesus fucking Christ" from the more religious among us. And I don't partake in words like n*gger or f*ggot, though I know people who still employ the latter.

I would obviously never say or use the latter (although I admit I write nigga and say it when I'm rapping along alone or with good mates). I definitely used to say faggot as a teen but once I got a grip on how offensive it is (as well as using "gay" to mean soft or lame) I stopped.

Those two words have hateful motivations and intent. Cunt is arbitrary. If people get upset, that is just because they have ascribed meaning to it. It reminds me of Stephen Fry's quote about 'taking offense':

Technically speaking, all language is arbitrary to an extent, even onomatopoeia (ever heard Japanese onomatopoeia? It's a laugh). Call someone that speaks a different language a racial epithet in your own language and it will slip right past them. They haven't ascribed meaning to that particular arrangement of syllables.

You absolutely can call someone a cunt with hateful intent. The word has a culturally ascribed negative connotation attached to it, which is why IWB calls people fucking cuntbags when she's pissed off at them instead of babbling euphemisms like Ned Flanders.

Last edited:
Oh, as in social stratification and demographics? As in Australians don't really have class structures because they are laid back? Or as in Australians are so crass that they all belong to the lower class?

As in we have class structures but it doesn't really gibe with the national image any more than it does in America, and let's not upset the apple cart by engaging in class warfare.

Strangely, I think I'm considerably more turned off by it than Ashley is, but she's bothered by "bitch," whereas I throw it around carelessly sometimes.

In general, I try to make my profanity as impersonal as possible though.

You live in an entirely different country. Our application of the words are different. I'm not sure why you felt the need to argue this as if it was a postulation I had rather than just an observation of how American culture perceives the language.

Those two words have hateful motivations and intent. Cunt is arbitrary.

If you don't have one, it's arbitrary. It can be as hateful to women as the other two are to those demographics.

I'd be curious to see how our female friends on the board feel about that word. I know my wife absolutely despises it for its negative connotation for women.

Me too. I've never used it in any context.

I notice Aussie blokes are generally more free in their use of "cunt", often as a crude term of endearment to close (usually male) friends that Cobbler and Liam described. But my ex would use it liberally in the parody sense that I described above, probably more than I do. At my work the younger female colleagues are similar, but those over about thirty or thirty-five can really wince at it.

Also, in Australia, you definitely want to be described as a "sick cunt", but you probably don't want to be known as a "shit cunt".

Is the word cunt taboo over there or something? I say it all the time.

Women here find that word extremely offensive, it's often used to refer to a woman in an incredibly derogatory manner....think bitch x 1000. So its predominent use here is very different than it is there.

Strangely, I think I'm considerably more turned off by it than Ashley is, but she's bothered by "bitch," whereas I throw it around carelessly sometimes..

My wife gets mad when I call the dog a bitch in a joking manner even though it is in fact the correct term.

i swear more than i used to, but i'm not proud of it. i feel there are far more creative ways to describe your feelings and intentions than resorting to words that anyone can use.

like, for example when the 600 horse of a human called me an asshole because i was driving 20 km's an hour in a car park instead of 8 (not joking, the posted limit is 8 kph). i didn't say anything, but immediately after i drove away i wish i had been the bigger person, gone back, and told the horse something to the effect that if my car and her were to collide, it would be my car that would have been damaged.

nevertheless, i've never claimed to be perfect but i'll know better for next time.

I strongly dislike cunt for the reasons already outlined, but understand it has a totally different connotation in other countries. (or cuntries, AMIRITE?)

However, I like the idea of women "taking it back" in theory. I've seen some discussion of that, or defense of why some women use it liberally.

I think I may have thought it about Ann Coulter or other really, really awful people (but yes, usually women). Like, I reserve it for just the absolute worst people that pop up in the news.

I used to have a someecard thing saved in my gif folder that said "I'd call you a cunt, but you have neither the depth nor warmth." Which is fucking awesome.

Strangely, I think I'm considerably more turned off by it than Ashley is, but she's bothered by "bitch," whereas I throw it around carelessly sometimes.

In general, I try to make my profanity as impersonal as possible though.

Women here find that word extremely offensive, it's often used to refer to a woman in an incredibly derogatory manner....think bitch x 1000. So its predominent use here is very different than it is there.
I had never heard the word before I joined interference, tbh. It didn't bother me until I was told it should. But then the more I heard it used, the nastier, more hurtful it began to sound.

Bitch, I don't like being called sincerely. But I use the word more than almost any other curse word besides fuck.

I try to stay away from the gendered insults, but goddamn if calling someone a dick isn't satisfying.

I try to use asshole instead though, since everyone's got one of those.

I must say though the word can be funny if used in a not so mean way...like the night Seth MacFarlane referred to it 3 times in one night...

twice in Family Guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxqexCfGlv0
Rhyming "work of Alan Funt" with "nicely shaven...leg"
and earlier in same episode Meg saw the flyer for the Lesbian Alliance Club and for the meeting date it says "see you next Tuesday"

then later on American Dad someone says a woman at their office "is a real C-word"

3 not so thinly veiled references in one prime time hour...have to give the man credit

I'm sick of seeing that quote trotted out every time someone says something that other people don't like. Look! Stephen Fry gives me validation and the right to piss of whoever I want! It's always online (you know, where the offender is safe from being punched in the face, beheaded, or whatever), some pseudo-intellectual/wannabe comedian makes some statement, sets off some crybabies who literally can't even, and when they start in with their tears the first person throws that quote out there like "checkmate, bitch!" It's about as witty a comeback as "I know you are but what I am."

:up:

Like a lot of people who complain about something being "too PC" - they really just mean "I can't say whatever I want, I'm supposed to take other people's feelings into account! Why can't I just keep being an asshole?"

(Or maybe not; I may have misinterpreted your point. BUT WHATEVER MY POINT STILL STANDS!)

Back
Top Bottom