Reading is Sexy: Books Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Twilight series is REALLY that bad huh? Guess I won't be picking it up after all. I've got about 5 people all telling me to read it and come to the movie with them :uhoh:

Read the rest of the George RR Martin books. Do that. Or check out Philip K Dick. Or Heinlein. Or Wolfe. I'm like a broken record but whatever.

So the Twilight series is REALLY that bad huh? Guess I won't be picking it up after all. I've got about 5 people all telling me to read it and come to the movie with them :uhoh:

I wouldn't let my comments stop you from checking it out. There are a lot of people out there who vehemently disagree with me. You might find that you're one of the ones who like it, and if not, at worst, you can revel in the train-wrecky badness of it. One thing's for sure though, it's divisive. People either seem to love it or hate it.

Read the rest of the George RR Martin books. Do that. Or check out Philip K Dick. Or Heinlein. Or Wolfe. I'm like a broken record but whatever.

I'm working on it. I've hit a lull in book two though. I keep meaning to get back into it, though, and, ironic enough, I hate Bran now :lol:

I wouldn't let my comments stop you from checking it out. There are a lot of people out there who vehemently disagree with me. You might find that you're one of the ones who like it, and if not, at worst, you can revel in the train-wrecky badness of it. One thing's for sure though, it's divisive. People either seem to love it or hate it.

:hmm: I'm gonna have to read it eventually, I suppose. I usually did if I get bothered this much with a book by people, so, I just have no idea what to expect.

Someone here recommended New York Trilogy-Paul Auster
Thank you, very enjoyable. I think I got lost for a bit trying too hard to unite the stories.

I don't know if I recommended it, but its one of my favs. There's actually a comic adaptation of City of Glass that I found, quite interesting.

If you haven't read Leviathan, you should really check that one out too. Probably my favorite Auster.

For any Twilight fans that are interested, the series is over now, but the next book the author plans to release is a rewrite of the first book from the perspective of Edward. It's supposed to be released next year, and Myers has had the first chapter up on her website for ages now.

Apparently now, the first 12 chapters have been leaked, and are available here:

http://www.freewebs.com/thedarksidecometh/midnightsun.htm

I can't vouch for the legitimacy of it, but from what I've seen online, people seem to think it's for real.

I just finished James Fallows' Breaking the News, which was a very good analysis of the media's shortcomings in reporting politics. It's a little dated since it came out in early 1996 and references a lot of what was going on at that time, but it's overall points are very accurate and still relevant today.

The first 30 pages of THE ROAD have piqued my interest but I'm too consumed right now with watching ABC Family channel so I might not read any more of it today.

There's talk of unionizing?

We'll march day and niiiiight
By the old cooling tower!
They have the plant
But we have the power!

In other news ...

A rewrite of Twilight from the vamp's perspective, huh? Is it just me, or does that scream "cash grab" to anyone else?

There's talk of unionizing?

We'll march day and niiiiight
By the old cooling tower!
They have the plant
But we have the power!

In other news ...

A rewrite of Twilight from the vamp's perspective, huh? Is it just me, or does that scream "cash grab" to anyone else?

The whole thing screams "piece of shit".

Breaking Dawn was disappointing. That is all. And I can already tell that the Twilight movie is going to be hilariously bad, and I'm not just saying that because I absolutely hate the idea of Robert Pattinson as Edward. :wink:

I'm now halfway through High Fidelity and loving it.

***This is Lemonchick by the way.***

#57 Moose: A Memoir of Fat Camp by Stephanie Klein

I know beegee didn't get very far into the book before rolling her eyes in annoyance and throwing it across the room ( ;) ), but I really liked it.

I enjoyed Klein's first book, about her divorce and re-entry into the dating world, and I liked this one too. She's funny, but not one of those writers who feels like they're trying so hard to be witty every third sentence. She's very open about her teenaged self, to the point of my discomfort regarding a few things.

^^ Talking about Midnight Sun, the book after breaking dawn, I thing it is just a way to reel in some more money.

But I know people who will read it, It's not really going to be a huge suprise what happens, but it will be nice to see what Edward is thinking, since you always get "His face was blank, I wish I knew what he was thinking"

on a side note: I went to a breaking dawn formal last night, and it was a huge turn out.

"Breaking Dawn Formal," as in like a formal school dance where the theme was Breaking Dawn?

Please tell me the King and Queen of the dance re-enacted the birth scene. :lol:

"Breaking Dawn Formal," as in like a formal school dance where the theme was Breaking Dawn?

Please tell me the King and Queen of the dance re-enacted the birth scene. :lol:

There are pictures floating around of...sort of official events, Twilight-themed prom-like events...that Myers has attended. She dresses up for them. :shudder:

Yes, like the school dance, we dont have prom king and queen in Australia, and its always a "Formal" not a "prom"

But it was breaking dawn related although it didnt really seem like it, they had a twilight poster and the trailer playing on a big screen and things like that.

But it was a good night, as lame as it sounds. Everyone got dressed up and we danced all night, it was more of a party then a Twilight related event

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom