Reading is Sexy: Books Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Joyce, Woolf, and Miller are simply masturbatory, then, uhh...get me a kleenex.

My point was that everyone has different tastes, and different reasons for liking or disliking various works. To me, stream of consciousness ramblings tend to come off as pretentious, self-indulgent crap. :shrug: It's just not my cup of tea.

I almost put American Gods on my list, but I have some reservations about Neil Gaiman. I love his ideas and I really like him as a person, but I don't like his writing style most of the time. It's a bit like the writing in the Stephen King I've read. I think the Sandman comics are the only time when he is perfect for me, and that's probably because he has fewer words to work with. I'm reading The Graveyard Book now, though, and enjoying it so far, so maybe I also prefer him as a children's author. :shrug:

Yeah, I like Gaiman a lot...but not enough to crack the Top Ten. Top 25, he'd be there....probably for the Sandman Comics. I guess that with writers like King or Gaiman, their imagination trumps what they might lack in traditional writing skill.....for me, at least.

Oddly, I feel exactly the opposite about Gaiman. I LOVE his writing style, particularly in Neverwhere. It takes different strokes, guys! Yes it does.

I took American Gods out of the library awhile back but never read it, I remember not finishing Neverwhere also, although it was fairly intriguing.

Currently onto Evelyn Waugh's Handful of Dust.

And BTW, Delillo's Falling Man is a staggering work, and shorter than most of his so I urge others to check it out, whether you're into him yet or not.

#56 The Dive From Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer

Dang, I only finished one book on my vacation. Too busy this time. Some vacation. :tsk:

I really liked this one. And it took place partially in Wisconsin, which is where I was, so there you go! The main character is starting to wonder if her relationship with her long-time boyfriend is winding down. Then he's paralyzed in an accident, and what should she do next?

You know, I really enjoy contemporary fiction that centers around a character or a family who faces some sort of crisis or big decision. Jodi Picoult writes these types of stories very well, and I like her books. This book was right in that same vein. Good stuff.

So I, uh, just skimmed through a .pdf file of Twilight.

Holy crap, is that shit bad.

Twenty pages in, I was already sick of Edward either smirking or snickering.

So I, uh, just skimmed through a .pdf file of Twilight.

Holy crap, is that shit bad.

Twenty pages in, I was already sick of Edward either smirking or snickering.

The writing style in that one is just atrocious. Probably many 14 yr old fanfic writers could have out-written her, there. It's beyond me how the woman ever got that book published. Throughout the series, there is limited improvement in her writing skills, if not the plot and characterization.

Following along with the SF thread kept me motivated enough to continue. If you have a strong gag reflex and keep telling yourself you're only reading for the lolz, I'm confident you can get through this. Warning: you might want to affix some sort of adhesive to your eyeballs first, to prevent them from rolling out of your head.

The writing style in that one is just atrocious. Probably many 14 yr old fanfic writers could have out-written her, there. It's beyond me how the woman ever got that book published. Throughout the series, there is limited improvement in her writing skills, if not the plot and characterization.

Following along with the SF thread kept me motivated enough to continue. If you have a strong gag reflex and keep telling yourself you're only reading for the lolz, I'm confident you can get through this. Warning: you might want to affix some sort of adhesive to your eyeballs first, to prevent them from rolling out of your head.

I refuse to even touch (like as in come in contact) with one of those books, from what I've heard, please spare JK Rowling the comparisons, she might not be the best writer but she's infinitely better than this trash I'm sure...and the sales/longevity aren't anywhere near the same league. If HP is the Majors, Twilight is Rookie League, A-ball at best.

I am appalled that this series is compared to HP. Maybe in terms of popularity, but Rowling can actually at least write.

If you know someone that wants to read some sci-fi, and you were about to recommend Twilight, say "Read Dune" instead. Or, say "Read Philip K Dick's stuff". You can even say "Read Gene Wolfe or Arthur C Clarke".

I am appalled that this series is compared to HP. Maybe in terms of popularity, but Rowling can actually at least write.

HP has a plot. And character development. There is progression, and growth. There are sacrifices that are made before the happy ending is reached.

Myers' series has none of this. I weep for any young, impressionable girls who are influenced by these books, and I cringe for the adult fans. Her world view must be one fucked up mess.

Btw, this series is nowhere close to HP in terms of popularity as the online crazies would have you believe. BD sold 1.3 million the first day. DH sold over 11 million, and to date has sold 44 million. BD, well, there's a huge campaign going on to return the books.

If you know someone that wants to read some sci-fi, and you were about to recommend Twilight, say "Read Dune" instead. Or, say "Read Philip K Dick's stuff". You can even say "Read Gene Wolfe or Arthur C Clarke".

It's not science fiction, it's very poorly done (in every possible way) young adult romance...

I'm at a loss as to how to characterize it. I was going to say YA romance/fantasy, but it's not really. But it sort of is, in that it involves vampires and werewolves living amongst humans in current times. It's just a big batch of batshit crazy, is what it is.

If HP is the Majors, Twilight is Rookie League, A-ball at best.

That's being unnecessarily generous. I'd say it's more of a pick up game at a local park, where none of the players really know the rules, the fielders watch while lightly hit balls roll through their legs, and the batters run the wrong way around the bases.

Do you really think anyone considering reading that stuff would even be able to process any of the above authors?

I'd start them on some old Heinlein, maybe. Or Bradbury.

I like the Stephenie Meyer books, and I'm reasonably literate. I don't think it's necessarily an 'either or' decision.

I'm at a loss as to how to characterize it. I was going to say YA romance/fantasy, but it's not really. But it sort of is, in that it involves vampires and werewolves living amongst humans in current times. It's just a big batch of batshit crazy, is what it is.

Don't forget that these vampires, they get all sparkly when in any type of sunlight. That's very important.

Sparkly vampires! :cute:

I like the Stephenie Meyer books, and I'm reasonably literate. I don't think it's necessarily an 'either or' decision.

I really enjoy a lot of books that many others would dismiss as crap, so I know how you feel.

I was at least expecting to somewhat enjoy Twilight, even if I thought it was bad or silly. (and yes, I know I just skimmed it) But I was surprised by the writing and couldn't even get any enjoyment out of it.

I really enjoy a lot of books that many others would dismiss as crap, so I know how you feel.

I was at least expecting to somewhat enjoy Twilight, even if I thought it was bad or silly. (and yes, I know I just skimmed it) But I was surprised by the writing and couldn't even get any enjoyment out of it.

I read some crap, too, but not an avalanche of it. But, just listening to you and VP talk about this book, it seems that crap would be a step up for it. :shrug:

I have to comment here, as well. It's not like I have high-fallutin' literary tastes, either. I find though, that there has to be something about the story that captures my interest and imagination. Whether I enjoy the story stylistically, plotwise, the way the characters are written or for the overall themes, I can be extremely forgiving about some less than stellar elements as long as I'm enjoying some aspect of it.

To me, in this series, the writing was bad. Bad fan-fic bad. To be fair though, I thought Myers showed a bit of improvement over the course of the four books. The plot seemed to be an afterthought throughout much of the series, where Myers would spend three quarters of the book focusing on Edward and Bella's tru-luv, or their angst about said tru-luv, and then toward the end she would think "Oh shit! I need to stick a story in here!" and then she would go on to insert some contrived nonsense. The ending sequence of the series was one of the most anti-climactic things I've ever read. I was very disappointed with that, even with my already very low expectations. The entire thing reeks of wish fulfillment.

The characters are incredibly one dimensional, and that's a real shame, there could have been great development in a story like this. Bella is 'ordinary,' and yet every male wants her. She's pretty much perfect, other than her one flaw, her endearing clumsiness - WHICH IS MENTIONED EVERY SECOND PARAGRAPH. Ugh. Edward is even more perfect than Bella. He's god-like gorgeous, he's emo and angsty, but hey, these are admirable qualities in this book! So is his tendency to be stalkerish and controlling, but hey, he's only doing it to protect the little lady, so it's okay, it's for her own good! :| (Sorry, I'm getting into the parts that really piss me off now, and like Dennis Miller, I feel a rant coming on.)

The themes are what really get me. They've driven feminism back decades.

(Vague spoilers ahead)

High school girls should live for their boyfriends, to the exclusion of just about everything else in their lives! And if their boyfriends are controlling, it's just out of love, really! And if the relationship ends, suicidal gestures are the way to go! Also, it's perfectly fine to bring another guy into the picture and lead him on to assuage your grief and neediness - there's no need to develop your own life and interests! And, if a guy essentially forces himself on you, it's completely acceptable for your father to approve, because he'd rather see you with that guy, than with your bf! No one ever suffers consequences, and everything turns out just fine.

Just. Ugh. :crack: And those few issues are barely scratching the surface.

I did find the last book more readable than the others, though. Maybe by then, I'd invested enough time and energy into it that I was going to see it through to the end, dammit. Oddly, that book was very divisive in the fandom, leading many to consider the series a trilogy by denying the existence of the final book, because it didn't turn out the way that they wanted it to. It just sort of floors me that it wasn't until that point that fans started to have problems with the story.

I love the twilight saga, although I guess I'm one of thoes teenage girls, who dont want to be out of the loop.

(I am even going to a party bassed around the book, with friends,)

I'm reading the fourth one at the moment, there are many things that i can nit pick at and things i dont like, but I guess its like any book series.

I would never compare them to the harry potter books, I think HP has such a wide spread admiration, Kids love and a lot of parents think its just brilliant.

Twilight is aimed at teenages, and not just girls, many boys also read it.

And while I can't stand alot of the mushyness and the "OMG he is so beautiful" lines. I still like it.

It can't be everyones cup of tea.

But on a note of my love for the saga:
I still think the first book is the best.

New moon I was upset with the ending it wasn't dramatic enough, it was like she ran out of pages, to explain in detail what happened.
Eclipse was ok, but come on three books in she could at least become part of Edwards world.
But I guess that's why there is a fourth book.

I've just started the beginin of the fourth book and I have to say there is alot of detail missing again in one of the major parts of Bella and Edward's relationship.

I hope it gets better.

It can't be everyones cup of tea.

That's very true. Maybe I'm being unduly harsh, but the issues I described above are sort of deal breakers for me. I know that not everyone shares the same perspective, obviously. :)

I've just started the beginin of the fourth book and I have to say there is alot of detail missing again in one of the major parts of Bella and Edward's relationship.

I hope it gets better.

I've been reading some fan and anti-fan commentary about the series on various websites. When you're finished with the 4th book, I'd be interested in reading any comments you might have about it. I guess I'm trying to understand what fans find appealing about the series to begin with, and why many are so opposed to the 4th book.

I don't really know what I like about the Twilight series, to be honest, because I agree that they read like bad fanfiction (or what I'd imagine bad fanfiction to be like since I've never read any fanfiction at all). I think it's just that they remind me of myself when I was an angsty, overly romantic teenager full of obsessive, unrequited love. I never would have read them as a teenager, though! I was such an intellectual snob...too busy reading theology and the requisite Ayn Rand and assuaging my Anglophilia with copious amounts of Thomas Hardy (speaking of angst!).

I guess they've adapted the first Twilight book into a movie and it comes out in December.

It stars Kristen Stewart as Bella...

kristen_stewart_002_600x799.jpg

:hmm:

^Yes. MTV are running a Twilight Tuesday thing where they post videos and facts every tuesday about the movie.

The trailer looks pretty good :up:

That's being unnecessarily generous. I'd say it's more of a pick up game at a local park, where none of the players really know the rules, the fielders watch while lightly hit balls roll through their legs, and the batters run the wrong way around the bases.

Hahaha, thank you for running with my baseball analogy. I really was only calling it Rookie League in terms of sales, in quality, the players in the game couldn't even tell you what the name of the sport it, or how many players they need, and the pitcher is rolling a bowling ball towards home (hey at least they got the direction right)

Hey, everyone. I just picked up THE ROAD from the library.

I'm totally gonna read it. You guys have mentioned how great and unforgettable it is, I just had to grab it. I can't wait. And, just glancing at it, I don't think it will take me too long to burn through it.

I will return later with my thoughts on McCarthy's THE ROAD.

Dun Dun Dun...

So the Twilight series is REALLY that bad huh? Guess I won't be picking it up after all. I've got about 5 people all telling me to read it and come to the movie with them :uhoh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom