Random Music Thread - CXII Mofo, it's Halloween, Change your avatar plz.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I forgot to mention that on Sunday night I saw Patti Smith's Horses recreated live on stage.

Gloria - Adalita (Magic Dirt)
Redondo Beach - Courtney Barnett
Birdland - Gareth Liddiard (The Drones)
Free Money - Adalita
Kimberley - Jen Cloher (on CB's Milk Records, and gf of CB)
Break it Up - Courtney Barnett
Land - Jen Cloher
Elegie - Gareth Liddiard
My Generation - everyone

I hadn't heard the album prior to the gig, which I attempted to rectify as I was walking to my mate's place. I got through three songs and was thoroughly enjoying it (Birdland, what a song. Gloria, too. Is it a Van Morrison cover/homage/snippet/tribute or vice versa?) but yeah. Anyway I was blown away by the show and I think the album could very quickly become a firm favourite. There was not a bum moment for the whole show; highlights were Liddiard's Birdland (he's a gem, great stage presence, quite Springsteen-esque in his physique and low positioning of guitar, also rocking a massive mullet these days which works in his favour), Adalita's Gloria but I have to say the artist I knew the least, Jen Cloher, was the standout. She was pure fire during the many sections of Land. And then the ending of My Generation made for a perfect encore.

Also I'm listening to the new Youth Lagoon album ... last time around I loved two songs (Mute and Dropla) but the rest largely annoyed me. This album is completely different. Like, completely. It's good.

Going to an album tribute show without hearing the album first is one of the most friggin Cobbler things I've ever heard, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. The album took a long time to grow on me, but now it's one of those rare, wonderful albums that I enjoy more with each listen. Birdland might be my favorite track.

The last couple minutes of Gloria is a loose "cover" of the original by Morrison's band Them, which came out in the 60s. The rest of the track is original.

Land is my favourite song from that record.

Anyone who has seen the season 2 finale of Millennium knows how cinematic that song actually is.

Oh I'm well aware of that, I had a good chuckle on the day of the gig. I stressed for a bit but I'd have enjoyed it even if I didn't know it, the show was that gig. There's nothing approaching a bad track on the album.

Also I'm listening to the new Youth Lagoon album ... last time around I loved two songs (Mute and Dropla) but the rest largely annoyed me. This album is completely different. Like, completely. It's good.

I don't have a point of comparison for Youth Lagoon, but the new album delivers. It's got a Perfume Genius vibe going but a bit more accessible.

The Deerhunter track "Ad Astra" off the new album is fabulous - one of their best songs, I think. Love the callback to Gary Numan in the synth line.

Damnit, Laneway sideshows in February have a clash between DIIV and Purity Ring.

I guess I'll go DIIV because I've never seen them live, while I doubt Purity Ring will change much since they visited a couple of months ago.

I'm going to do Chvrches and Beach House, which will hopefully help reduce clashes at the festival itself (getting close for Chvrches at Laneway will be a nightmare anyway).

I was also expecting Metz and Health sideshows... not sure if this is the complete list or not, though FL seems to suggest it is.

I ought to also grab Sugar Mountain tickets...

So FL lied. Metz and Health are also doing sideshows. The Metz one is on an OK date but FUCKING HELL WHAT IS WITH EVERYTHING BEING ON 11/02? Health clash with Purity Ring and DIIV. Now there's a tough choice.

The new Libertines album is one of the year's best.

I'm shouting into the void here because I know nobody on this forum likes them. But whatever.
UYMFA!

I listened to Mark Lanegan's Blues Funeral again. Another one I liked a LOT more than I remembered liking before. How's his new one?

I am SO damn excited to see Dungen on Sunday night. They're playing Fingerprints, my local record store, on Monday night, but I already have another musical commitment that night that I really want to go to, plus I invited others, so I kind of have to go anyway. Dammit.

I cannot get through To Pimp a Butterfly without crying. Easily my fav hip-hop album since MBDTF and already a classic in my view.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The Deerhunter track "Ad Astra" off the new album is fabulous - one of their best songs, I think. Love the callback to Gary Numan in the synth line.

This is exactly the album I wanted them to make. It's incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom