Random Music Talk XXX: Bow Chicka Wow Wow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta be honest. I still think King of Limbs is pretty great. Haven't listened to the full thing since it came out, but Bloom, Codex, Ghost and Separator are among the best tracks I've heard this year.

I've heard this song on the radio numerous times, and always thought it was someone from Broken Social Scene. Great song, I may have to look into the EP.

YouTube - Twin Sister - Lady Daydream

EDIT: Well this is embarrassing, i just realized I've seen Twin Sister live....

That's why I think Quadrophenia >>>>>>>>>>>>>*infinity>>> The Wall. The story doesn't get in the way of the music anywhere near as much.

Quadrophenia versus The Wall is a really tough call for me. I love them both, and they have two of my favorite songs ever: Comfortably Numb and Love Reign O'er Me. In the end, I think Quadrophenia is leaner and perhaps more dynamic; The Wall can be harrowing even for a misanthrope like myself.

iYup since I don't think you post in eykiw, would your head explode if The National covered Please?

I think that it would! Did this happen?

First night (Sunday) or second night (Monday)? For the first night I got there at 11 a.m. and was number 275 or something. Second night I had seats so I skipped the shitty Kings of Leon.

Huh, funny. Maybe I'm misremembering what number I was.

I had seats for the second night as well. From GA, KoL didn't physically hurt my ears. They were loud, but nothing out of the ordinary. From my seat the second night, their sound was physically painful.

When we stayed in Banff, it was still kind of light out at like 10, 11 at night. Blew my fucking mind.

Yeah, even just moving from Wisconsin to Seattle, it amazed me how noticeably later there was light in the sky in the summer. Around the solstice, it can still be a little light in the sky at 10:30. Crazy.

So if I send it to you you've got to promise to keep it whole........

Life's Rich Pageant on MOFI 180 gm vinyl = WANT!

LMF361.jpg

Listening to Revolver now for the first time in a while, I am astounded by the strength of Lennon's songs on the album - "I'm Only Sleeping" and "She Said She Said" in particular. It must be the widest disparity in terms of quality that he ever had over Paul, who was of course also writing some tremendous songs at the time.

Well, John was certainly in a different place musically than Paul, but I just can't refer to Eleanor Rigby, Got To Get You Into My Life and especially For No One as inferior in any context.

There's a much bigger disparity on Rubber Soul, and Yesterday notwithstanding, on Help as well.

In my opinion, John's White Album work runs circles around Macca's, whose best songs on there for the most part are diversions anyway (Rocky Raccoon, Why Don't We Do It In The Road). Hell, even a pretty little ditty like Blackbird is dwarfed by the brilliance of Julia.

In my opinion, John's White Album work runs circles around Macca's, whose best songs on there for the most part are diversions anyway (Rocky Raccoon, Why Don't We Do It In The Road). Hell, even a pretty little ditty like Blackbird is dwarfed by the brilliance of Julia.

I agree, but I also have a strong fondness for Helter Skelter, USSR, and Blackbird. Those, however, are not on par with I'm So Tired, Glass Onion, and Warm Gun.

Topless models
Doin semaphore
Wave their flags as she walks by
And get ignored

Illumination
On a rainy day
When she walks her footsteps sing
A reckless serenade

I've been tryin to figure out exactly what it is I need
Called up to listen to the voice of reason
And got the answering machine

The type of kisses
Where teeth collide
When she laughs
The heavens hum
A stun gun lullaby

Those twinkling vixens
With shiny spiral eyes
Their hypnosis goes unnoticed
When she's walking by

:heart:

I have this on CD. Never have been able to get into the rest of the album, though honestly I probably haven't tried since like 1995.

I heard this song on the radio about four or five years ago in high school, and the DJ was making fun of the guy who requested it, because he was wanting to hear it so he could record it onto a cassette to play along with. We were well into the age of Napster and beyond at that point. It was kind of funny.

Anyways, from the very first time I heard it, I was all :fuckyeah:, and I still feel that way every time.

His giant box of cassette mixtapes without tracklistings are a treasure trove of what the fuck.

Does anyone think maybe we should get a vinyl thread going where the forum's resident record geeks can discuss recent finds, special releases, specific pressings, and things of that nature?

i played through all the songs on the beatles rock band game. on easy mode cos i'm lame like that. but it was awesome.

That's why I think Quadrophenia >>>>>>>>>>>>>*infinity>>> The Wall. The story doesn't get in the way of the music anywhere near as much.

Of the album's 17 tracks, I give perfect 10s to eight of them: The Real Me, Quadrophenia, The Punk and the Godfather, 5:15, Sea and Sand, Bell Boy, Doctor Jimmy and Love Reign O'er Me.

The Rock is my least favourite track, because while it's necessary to the story (it's Jimmy, out at sea, sitting on a rock, pilled out of his mind as his life flashes before his eyes) it's just a musical retread and inferior to Quadrophenia.

friggin....oh wait, this is not friggin cobbler, this is 1000% FACT.

Does anyone think maybe we should get a vinyl thread going where the forum's resident record geeks can discuss recent finds, special releases, specific pressings, and things of that nature?

Go for it (or did you already?)

Not that discussion on them bother me, but in order to help discussion in ZS, I've been wondering why a similar thread hasn't been started for Blu-Ray/Criterion releases.

IWasBored said:
that sounds fantastic.

It gets even better when you realize that none of the songs are complete because he hates commercials and DJs that much.

Mixtapes are indeed reflections of our personalities.

And feel free to call it Vinylcock.

or not, though it's a great idea for a thread.

I think that it would! Did this happen?

Nah, someone started a "covers/collabs you'd like to see" thread in eykiw, and tourist suggested The National cover Desire, and I said I'd like to see them cover any U2 song, and then I wondered if them covering Please would blow your mind.

friggin....oh wait, this is not friggin cobbler, this is 1000% FACT.

:hi5: this is a first!!

It gets even better when you realize that none of the songs are complete because he hates commercials and DJs that much.

Mixtapes are indeed reflections of our personalities.

:lol:

good man :up:

when i found out my family would be moving when i was 14, i decided to put various station IDs on a mix tape from the oldies station i would sorely miss. then i listened to the tape a few years ago and realized that was an incredibly annoying idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom