Mad Men II: A Man For All Seasons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Were they setting up Don and Joan there? I really didn't notice. The two seemed to bat the idea around for fun but never sought to go any further. Don passed Joan off to someone else knowing full well that she was a dead end for him.

If Mad Men had a lesser writing staff, I would be worried.

it would be terrible writing. Some shows do seem to be influenced by fans' desires. There is nothing in their character development to make it a reasonable turn of events,

I thought the whole point of the scene was to show that they both have grown. Don of the past definitely would have gone there, and Joan of the past might have as well.

I thought it was a fantastic scene.

I thought the whole point of the scene was to show that they both have grown. Don of the past definitely would have gone there, and Joan of the past might have as well.

I thought it was a fantastic scene.

Did Joan go some place with that random guy.

who sent the flowers? I paused my dvr, I think the name on the card was Ali Khan.

and now after google and some reading,

Don, sent the flowers, with a note that said, Your mother raised you well.

So backing up, I guess Don did a decent thing for Joan, taking her out for a drive and a drink when she was having a bad day.

I do think some fans may want to see them get together, I think that would detract from the series.

deep said:
seriously, when has Draper ever gone for a plus-size gal?

all of his girls have been slender and attractive.

I dont want them as a couple. I want them to rule the world together.

Well yeah, Don was taking her out to make her feel better while also getting a great companion for the Jaguar dealership, one who can do a good put-on. But he genuinely was trying to make her feel better.

Paul Kinsey's crappy Star Trek script

well, something very similar does actually get made, January 1969

an episode that deals with race

Star Trek 3.15: Let That Be Your Last Battlefield � Carpe DMM

Like Lokai, Bele is half black and half white, with the color divided by a line through the exact center of his face. However, the sides of Bele's black and white skin are reversed from those of Lokai, a difference which seems inconsequential to the Enterprise crew but of great importance to Bele, Lokai, and, apparently, their civilization. The difference is pointed out by Bele to a perplexed Captain Kirk who asks what is the difference between them, to which he replies, "Isn't it obvious? Lokai is white on the right side. All his people are white on the right side."

He mentioned that when he first started at Sterling Cooper, she had so many flowers that he thought ... uh ... something about Ali Khan. I didn't get the reference, but I remembered it when she read the card on the flowers.

This is the man that Don was referencing. Apparently he was married to Rita Hayworth. Lucky guy.

Prince Aly Khan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also:

MdOI5.gif

Don was talking about when he first started working with Joan at Sterling Cooper. They were working together way before any of us were introduced to them in Season 1, which took place in 1960. So the reference totally works out.

Not that any of that really matters. It's a pretty minor detail, albeit a very sweet one, and the flowers and card were another great Don moment. All the Don/Joan stuff in this episode was fantastic.

I know others have mentioned 'red herrings' with these writers

but, I say Don and Megan are in trouble. She is 24, he is 40.
She is wanting to live a full life. That American Hurrah is a real off Broadway play, she has her hip acting friends, with their anti-establishment attitudes. And him coming home late drunk will only put more strain on the relationship. Will she come home late one night acter having a couple of drinks with her acting coach, that is supportive of her acting career.

Some of the actors that were in American Hurrah went on to be in Oh! Calcutta
Maybe Megan will get in with that acting group.
Oh! Calcutta was the longest running show on Broadway until Cats. I saw it in 1988, the same week I saw Phantom of the Opera, M Butterfly among others.

Of course they're in trouble. Did anyone think their quickie marriage was anything resembling a good idea?

i was kind of impressed with how she handled it, actually.

of course there was no reason to waste a good plate of pasta. but instead of storming off (like her parents) she demanded that he sit down and eat with her.

unless i'm proven wrong, i'm pretty convinced that Megan is a good egg.

of course they're doomed. why wouldn't they be? but, poor thing, she's doing her best.

Megan is a very good egg

Don is self-absorbed and fucked up. Pete is in many ways a better person.
But they are at different places in their lives, may not be fair to compare.

With only 2 seasons left, my hope is that Don will keep growing and that when Betty and Francis finally have there blow up. A wiser Don and Betty can get back together and Sally can finally have the parents she deserves.

I thought she'd temporarily become Betty, sitting at the table with a glass of wine, waiting for him and seething.

I'm still excited that the Beatles were in an episode. I'm guessing they got the rights for DVD also??

And prediction...the series finale whenever that will be, will have "The End" or "Let It Be" in it.

D
I do think some fans may want to see them get together, I think that would detract from the series.

Relax. That will never happen. I didn't see anything in this episode to suggest seriously that it ever will.

So he bought the Jag with the fake bonus, right?

He mentioned he returned the car at the end of the evening.

Pete is in many ways a better person.

I beg to differ. Explain to me what makes Pete a better person. . .

i was kind of impressed with how she handled it, actually.

of course there was no reason to waste a good plate of pasta. but instead of storming off (like her parents) she demanded that he sit down and eat with her.

unless i'm proven wrong, i'm pretty convinced that Megan is a good egg.

of course they're doomed. why wouldn't they be? but, poor thing, she's doing her best.

Truthfully, I think they're both doing the best they can. They have a lot stacked against them, but if they have any chance of making it, its with the attitude they both have.

Everyone on the show is doomed.

No one is more doomed than Sally.

Truth.

I'm still excited that the Beatles were in an episode. I'm guessing they got the rights for DVD also??

And prediction...the series finale whenever that will be, will have "The End" or "Let It Be" in it.

Don't bet on it. They spent a chunk of change just to get the one song. I don't think we'll hear another Beatles tune on this show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom