(02-13-2003) U2, Simon Likely to Perform at Oscars - AP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://yahoo.com/

U2, Simon Likely to Perform at Oscars

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - U2 and Paul Simon will likely perform their Oscar-nominated songs at the March 23 ceremony, Oscars producer Gil Cates said.

"We don't have any complete confirmations today as to who will perform but it is likely that U2 will perform because their schedule allows for it. It is likely that Paul Simon will perform," Cates told reporters. "The other thing, Eminem we're not sure about in terms of the schedule. We haven't heard."

The three acts are nominated for best original song: U2's "The Hands That Built America" from "Gangs of New York," Paul Simon's "Father and Daughter" from "The Wild Thornberrys Movie," and Eminem's "Lose Yourself" from "8 Mile."

If Eminem does accept the invitation, Cates said he's not concerned that the usually foul-mouthed rapper will use profanity during the broadcast.

"Eminem has an airplay version of that song. Listen, the Academy Awards show is a show for the family. I mean, everyone watches the show and we're very much aware of that. Obviously we would not knowingly have anything on the show which would be offensive," he said.

Other songs nominated in the category are "Burn It Blue" from "Frida" and "I Move On" from "Chicago."

Cates said he couldn't answer whether "Chicago" cast members Renee Zellweger and Catherine Zeta-Jones who will be eight and a half months pregnant in March, would perform the song at the Oscars.

"The reason we really can't say is, if I say that we're going to ask someone and then they don't appear, a lot of things happen. Firstly, you know that we were turned down. Secondly, the next person that we ask knows that they're a second choice. So the only intelligent answer to that question is, 'What a good idea that is,'" Cates said.

It would be AWESOME to see U2 perform at the Oscars. I usually don't like to watch it for the Hollywood glitz and glamour, but I'd be glued if U2 were gonna be on. :yes: I just can't get enough of our boys!:love: :bono: :edge: :adam: :larry: :bow:

U2andPolitix said:
It would be AWESOME to see U2 perform at the Oscars. I usually don't like to watch it for the Hollywood glitz and glamour, but I'd be glued if U2 were gonna be on. :yes: I just can't get enough of our boys!:love: :bono: :edge: :adam: :larry: :bow:

OMG!!!!!!!!
*quickly into PLEBA mode*
:drool: :evil: :censored:

Honestly if they (U2) win the nomination and win an oscar next month.. Folks in my opinion that will be the pinacle of U2 success, I dont know what more they can conquor.

Words cannot describe how much we can say about
The Dublin Boys..
God Bless U2 and good luck come grammy night
I just cant picture Slim Shady getting the award.
GO U2!!!!!
Peace

TheRealThang_101 said:
Honestly if they (U2) win the nomination and win an oscar next month.. Folks in my opinion that will be the pinacle of U2 success, I dont know what more they can conquor.

Words cannot describe how much we can say about
The Dublin Boys..
God Bless U2 and good luck come grammy night
I just cant picture Slim Shady getting the award.
GO U2!!!!!
Peace

I can't picture Eminem winning, either.

I can seriously see U2 winning that night-I can see myself cheering at their winning an Oscar...I can see all that.

As for them performing at the Oscars-oh, yeah!

That could be a night to remember for U2 and for us fans...them performing "Hands" and winning an Oscar-both those things happen, then everything is right in the world. :).

Angela

Back
Top Bottom