Pleba Girls Party - The Party's back in full swing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
~BrightestStar~ said:
Thanks Dazz :kiss:

Eless, what's your topic on again?

Well, let's see....

:nerd:

*clears throat in an appropriately pretentious way*

the working title is "The Politics of Authorship in Percy, Twain, and Wilde." It's identity politics stuff....the stuff I'm reading usually goes like this:

How do you approach a work? Who has the privileged position? You? The author? The text itself? What is it "about"? What is "real"? Don't tell me what it "means" because I don't know what you "mean" by "mean."

:|

It's actually quite annoying sometimes, as you can imagine.

dazzledbylight said:
^^
don't remember the storyline

i read about waaay more movies than i ever get to see,,,,,

OMG, I am the SAME WAY. Only this year I've managed to see all but one of the Best Picture nominees. :)

I just don't know if I can drive an hour to see Capote.

Elessarian said:

Well, let's see....

the working title is "The Politics of Authorship in Percy, Twain, and Wilde." It's identity politics stuff....the stuff I'm reading usually goes like this:

How do you approach a work? Who has the privileged position? You? The author? The text itself? What is it "about"? What is "real"? Don't tell me what it "means" because I don't know what you "mean" by "mean."

High fallutin' literary pretention! :drool: :lol:

Are you still enjoying it, though?

U2MaNaIcWeIdO said:

Ok...point taken...but to me...it's only a minor detail. I also didn't want to go see it because I'm not a big fan of Orlando Bloom and I think the plotline is kinda sucky even though I like Crowe.

Ok :) It was really weird, and I think it got bad reviews. :hmm:

You like Crowe :love: Did you like Almost Famous? :heart:

Elessarian said:

Well, let's see....

*smiles and nods*

:tongue:

Holy literary philosophy, batman!

But despite the annoyingness, (which yes, I can very well imagine), are you still enjoying it?
How'd you come up with it?

VintagePunk said:

High fallutin' literary pretention! :drool: :lol:

Are you still enjoying it, though?

Well, some of the reading does get REALLY ridiculous...you think you have an argument and then it just gets ripped to shreads. My major prof's job is to keep me thinking in the theory direction so when I make a statement like

"The sky is blue." he'll respond with something like

"What do you mean blue? Is it blue because it's not another color or because it's "blue" and that word has value in some way?"

Yeah, really annoying shit sometimes. Half the time I just wanna throw my books at him and scream "IT'S JUST FUCKING BLUE, OKAY? BECAUSE I SAID SO!!" But unfortunately they won't let me use that as "scholarly material."

I'm enjoying it well enough, I think. It's better than stats n' stuff, which I suck at. There's some interesting little side-projects I'd like to embark on as well...some film criticism and some kind of research into the weird wide world of fan fiction.

That's the good thing about political theory, it can cover almost anything.

They are so incredible. A good example of what you referred to Sami, movies that stay with you.

I can hardly wait for the third one to come out, but it'll be years yet. I need to know what happens to them!

They are shot so beautifully...really long takes of rambling dialogue...and the dialogue is so intelligent.

~BrightestStar~ said:

Sunrise is basically a synonym for dawn, I can't imagine those movies are worth your time....

You make a very good point. I guess I really don't need to see them again. In fact, I probably shouldnt have seen them in the first place. :sad:

VintagePunk said:
They are so incredible. A good example of what you referred to Sami, movies that stay with you.

I can hardly wait for the third one to come out, but it'll be years yet. I need to know what happens to them!

They are shot so beautifully...really long takes of rambling dialogue...and the dialogue is so intelligent.

I didn't know there was a third one coming out. With movies like that, I love sequels (only if they're good :lol: ) because when you get so sucked in, don't you want to just follow the characters forever? It's like you're a part of the movie or something.

I'll have to check them out :hmm:

Elessarian said:

Well, some of the reading does get REALLY ridiculous...you think you have an argument and then it just gets ripped to shreads. My major prof's job is to keep me thinking in the theory direction so when I make a statement like

"What do you mean blue? Is it blue because it's not another color or because it's "blue" and that word has value in some way?"

Yeah, really annoying shit sometimes. Half the time I just wanna throw my books at him and scream "IT'S JUST FUCKING BLUE, OKAY? BECAUSE I SAID SO!!" But unfortunately they won't let me use that as "scholarly material."

I'm enjoying it well enough, I think. It's better than stats n' stuff, which I suck at. There's some interesting little side-projects I'd like to embark on as well...some film criticism and some kind of research into the weird wide world of fan fiction.

That's the good thing about political theory, it can cover almost anything.

Philosophy can be so friggin annoying in that way. Some things just are, you shouldn't need justification for it! :lol:

World of fan fic, huh? I wonder where you could find that. :hmm:

sami0201 said:

I didn't know there was a third one coming out. With movies like that, I love sequels (only if they're good :lol: ) because when you get so sucked in, don't you want to just follow the characters forever? It's like you're a part of the movie or something.

I'll have to check them out :hmm:

Yes, a 3rd one is planned, from what I heard, and it's supposed to be approximately the same time frame as the first two, about 8 years apart...so, it's going to be a while. :sigh:

Delpy and Hawke wrote most of the dialogue for the second movie themselves, based on what they knew about their characters from doing the first movie. The second one is just as good as the first. :up:

It's so compelling and utterly wrenching, especially when you have someone in your life where you wonder "I wonder what would have happened if I could have been with that person..." which I think most people, when they get to a certain age, do have a scenario like that.

Elessarian said:

OMG, I am the SAME WAY. Only this year I've managed to see all but one of the Best Picture nominees. :)

good for you, Eless :D

With modest play/fun money AND several major passions [that run up $$]...um....movies [hard to explain]as movies is not so much my thing. Does that make sense?

my most major passions include Nature/Art/Artisan & other Crafts/Music-recorded, Live & R&R concerts:ohmy::shifty:/ some of The Sciences esp Astronomy-Astro & Quantum Physics-Geology-Archeology/Humor/Science Fiction/Politics/ The Great Cities of The World/History/Socio-Cultural ideas-exploration-understanding/ Photography/Food-cooking/Metaphysics AND { certainly NOT last} hanging out with my :heart: friends!

Soo IF i have the money and i try sometimes very hard to make sure i have the bucks when a good Political thriller, Science Fiction (& LOTR), & Romantic Comedy comes out.....I'll try to get to some of them....

Last edited:
VintagePunk said:

Yes, a 3rd one is planned, from what I heard, and it's supposed to be approximately the same time frame as the first two, about 8 years apart...so, it's going to be a while. :sigh:

Delpy and Hawke wrote most of the dialogue for the second movie themselves, based on what they knew about their characters from doing the first movie. The second one is just as good as the first. :up:

It's so compelling and utterly wrenching, especially when you have someone in your life where you wonder "I wonder what would have happened if I could have been with that person..." which I think most people, when they get to a certain age, do have a scenario like that.

:yes:

Have you ever seen The Family Guy with Nic Cage and Tea Leoni? Same kinda thing (I mean totally different kind of movie, but same idea of what would have happened...)

Originally posted by Elessarian

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I actually understand some of that stuff.....
my art teacher was explaining the 2 uber major views in Philosophy ?? what was it Concrete and 'the Other One' don't remember

part of what I've read about ? Deconstructionism......some of it seems like a pretty good up to a point, it's a smart idea sort of {becuase the answers can sometimes be.? depressing} to see what are the various 'underpinnings' of what is out there in our society {and others}............
and THEN it seems to go on & on to some ridiculous level IMHO :wink:

VintagePunk said:
Eless, did you get hit by Katrina? I thought of you back then. :hug:

Well, most of my family had to relocate to my apartment in the immediate aftermath...4 people in a one bedroom apt...not fun. My brother-in-law's sweet Creole parents lost their home, but they're making it okay.

My sister and brother-in-law live in Gulfport, but thankfully their apartment survived. The hardest thing for them now is just living in Gulfport...it's still a pretty miserable place right now.

But it's gettin' better.

Back
Top Bottom