Mofo-ing acne!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I'm also 20 and in the past two months, I've had the worst bouts of acne I've ever had. And I'm on the pill which was supposed to help!!! :scream:

This is a misconception among medical professionals who do not understand science.

Only one pill in the USA can legally claim to clear up acne - OrthoTriCyclen. And it does a piss poor job.

There is one pill out there which serves essentially primarily to control acne and other hormonal imbalances in women. It is called Diane-35, and is available in the rest of the world, but not the USA. FDA claims it is because of safety issues (increased blood clot formation), but the real reason is politics - OrthoTri would lose out on the marketplace.

I have never had a zit in my life, if you would believe it. It's genetic - my father has the most flawless skin you've ever encountered. It's mostly hormonal, although food can make it worse, but until you find some way of countering hormonal activation, acne will be hell to deal with.

anitram said:

I have never had a zit in my life, if you would believe it. It's genetic - my father has the most flawless skin you've ever encountered. It's mostly hormonal, although food can make it worse, but until you find some way of countering hormonal activation, acne will be hell to deal with.

anitram, with all the respect in the world, you suck.

:wink:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
It makes some people severely depressed....to the point of not being able to function or making you feel suicidal.

Apparently a senator's son was on accutane and killed himself, and the drug was blamed as the depressant. I'm not sure if they 100% excluded other factors that could have caused him to be depressed, or if other tests on Acutane were done or not. From what I heard the senator went on to lobby to pull Acutane.

I was on Acutane for two years, and it worked wonders for me. Yeah, my lips dried out and my skin was a little dry but it was such a relief for my skin to be cleared.

One of the warnings w/ Acutane is that you must promise to not have sex, because it can retard and mess up a baby's body. I think I needed to have a blood test every month to make sure my liver was okay, but that is standard in certain types of medicine.

Keocmb, I would make an appointment with a dermatologist. They can usually take quite a while to get an appointment, so make one asap. My guess is the doctor will put you on a topical treatment, and then based on that results, decide what oral medicine is good for you, if any is even necessary. But there are options, so make an appointment. No need to suffer with acne. :hug:

anitram said:

This is a misconception among medical professionals who do not understand science.

Only one pill in the USA can legally claim to clear up acne - OrthoTriCyclen. And it does a piss poor job.

There is one pill out there which serves essentially primarily to control acne and other hormonal imbalances in women. It is called Diane-35, and is available in the rest of the world, but not the USA. FDA claims it is because of safety issues (increased blood clot formation), but the real reason is politics - OrthoTri would lose out on the marketplace.

I'm a big fan of genetics, never had blemishes and neither did my mother or her father's family. None of them had any lines until they hit their mid 70's...I love my mom.:heart: However, my daughter seemed to have inherited her father's genes. She really suffered from acne for several years.

oliveu2cm said:
Keocmb, I would make an appointment with a dermatologist. They can usually take quite a while to get an appointment, so make one asap. My guess is the doctor will put you on a topical treatment, and then based on that results, decide what oral medicine is good for you, if any is even necessary. But there are options, so make an appointment. No need to suffer with acne. :hug:

Thanks, olive. :hug: I used to go to a dermatologist and went through some various treatments and they worked for a while. Then I just stopped caring about being embarassed by my acne. I've pretty much embraced it full on and couldn't care less. But this week has been pretty stressful and my face is just... :tsk:.

I went on Acutain for 5 months, about 8 years ago. I had acne all over my back, face and upper arms. Acutain cleared it right up. My lips became dry and i had a few dry skin patches on my arms and legs but it was no big deal. I never felt depressed or had suicidal thoughts and i had to take a blood test once a month. As soon as i finished with my Acutain treatment the dryness went away.

Since then I've been using Retin-A which is excellent.

Back
Top Bottom