The Official: North America got Fucked Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
joyfulgirl said:

So why was ZooTV and the Outside Broadast such a huge success in the US? Huh? HUH? Makeup, costumes, glittery platform shoes, MacPhisto's dressing room, Mirrorball Man...America ate it up bigtime. Critics went crazy, fans went crazy, it was huge. I didn't go see Popmart for the exact reason Chizip says: I was lukewarm on the record (and had also just made a huge life change so seeing Popmart just wasn't an option for me at the time). Of course I love Pop now and kick myself everyday. :reject:

I'll tell you why...because that album was one of the best albums ever made..that why big guy.

The fact that people absolutely loved the album overcame U2 getting alittle to crazy with themselves at the concert.

Popmart wasn't 1/2 the album AB was and that combined with the fact that they hammed it up even more on Pop was why the tour bomed so badly and once again as somebody else pointed out the tour played to some really pathetic audiences in Europe as well.

When I get home I'm pull up some figers from the U2 live book that states each shows attendance.

JR#9 said:

The style of music.

The electronic feel to it wiseass.America is more into the straight R-n-R.

So that's why your charts are dominated a lot of the time by the likes of Eminem, Jay-Z, Ja Rule, 50 Cent, The Game etc is it? Pure R+R.

you gotta love a person who calls someone with the moniker joyfulgirl "big guy"

I have to say the MacPhisto thing was crazier than anything done on Popmart

JR#9 said:
Nonsense.

Have you seen the ticket demand here in the US in EVERY market U2 is playing?

They are a much hotter ticket now as oppossed to pop.

POPMART was a european themed album/concert.

People here in the US didn't want to go see a gimmick show.

Bono with all the makeup and all of them in muscle shirts and big huge lemons and Bono coming out like a boxer, it was almost embaressing.

I know people in europe were into it but it certainly came off as cheesey here in the US and as a result it flopped.

Now that U2 is back to acting like musicians and not like a traveling circus you can't get a ticket here in the US.

And as somebody else pointed out POPMART bombed in a ton of european markets as well.

I bet this guy likes Bon Jovi.

JR#9 said:

When I get home I'm pull up some figers from the U2 live book that states each shows attendance.

And I'm sure we're all anxiously awaiting your "figers."

:sexywink:

achtung y'all said:

So that's why your charts are dominated a lot of the time by the likes of Eminem, Jay-Z, Ja Rule, 50 Cent, The Game etc is it? Pure R+R.

Are you trying to be this much of a tool?

There are a ton of different types of music and a ton of different people here in the US.Almost 300 million of us and alot of tennyboppers and alot are inner-city people that like those types of music.

When I say we are into more pure R-N-R i mean U2 fans and the like.

People like you get their panties in a bunch when somebody slams POPMART but one thing you should admit...it was cheesey and this is undeniable because even the BAND said they new how "ridiculous" and "silly" it all was and that's why the band ran from that tour debacle as fast as they could and went back to being serious and great musicians again instead of sideshow entertainers.

JR#9 said:
People like you get their panties in a bunch when somebody slams POPMART but one thing you should admit...it was cheesey and this is undeniable because even the BAND said they new how "ridiculous" and "silly" it all was and that's why the band ran from that tour debacle as fast as they could and went back to being serious and great musicians again instead of sideshow entertainers.

I think it's a pity that the band retreated from the musical adventurism of the 1990's.

financeguy said:

I think it's a pity that the band retreated from the musical adventurism of the 1990's.

That's fine and I respect that, to each their own but the undeniable fact that some fools like the ones can't get over is that you guys are very much in the minority and the sales of both albums and concert reciepts PROVES that this is the case.

JR#9 said:
When I say we are into more pure R-N-R i mean U2 fans and the like.

The last two U2 albums are not "pure R-N-R". They are radio-friendly MOR or pop-rock.

Pure R-N-R is Van Halen, Led Zep, Aerosmith in their early days, Rolling Stones, etc.

Rattle and Hum is probably the closest to pure R&R that U2 ever did.

Last edited:
ouizy said:

I almost hate to say it - but I agree with this.

Everyone really needs to take this thread with a grain of salt.

Of course if we got to see the band we should not complain but on a scale of relative fuckedness I see it as follows:

People who have never seen the band live = the absolute most fucked

People who live in countries where the band is not playing = The most most mostest fucked.

People who saw them in the US - fucked

People who will see them in Europe - still fucked, but will get to see a grand show.

Look, we are all fucked, but I think the point of this thread was to show a little jealousy towards the Europeans who will 1) see a huge U2 show and now unfortunately 2) get the fucking fucked Olympics.

Oh, and I do go to the show to see the pretty lights.

:wink:

:up:

financeguy said:

What's really gonna throw all these people, who are arguing the the band saw the errors of their ways after pop, is when U2 makes another "outthere" album - which both Adam and Larry have said they will.

JR#9 said:

That's fine and I respect that, to each their own but the undeniable fact that some fools like the ones can't get over is that you guys are very much in the minority and the sales of both albums and concert reciepts PROVES that this is the case.

yes, because of course we should judge the quality of music based on how many albums it sells

Cubs fans are the ones who are fucked. They have a team that plays in a major market, owned by an entity with deep pockets, yet will not spend much to help the team out. Anytime your closers have been Latroy Hawkins and Joe Borowski over the past few years.....you are truly fucked. Also, when your manager makes all starters throw 130 pitches a start, you are fucked.

Now, if the Cubs would add an ellipse to the field, or have MacPrior or MacWood pitch, or perhaps have their team emerge from a giant baseball before each game, Cubs fans would be less fucked.

Dalton said:

Yeah, but we got to see Jesus play the drums. that's gotta count for something....

OMG....tear are falling into my keyboard. That was funny.... :D

Dalton said:

What's really gonna throw all these people, who are arguing the the band saw the errors of their ways after pop, is when U2 makes another "outthere" album - which both Adam and Larry have said they will.

I for one actually liked the album, not my favorite U2 album, probrably my least favorite but that still puts it above almost every other album non-U2 for me.

What killed me and a ton of other people was the cheesiness of the tour.

It was just ridulous and way to gimmicky.

Even the band has called the tour "silly" and they were talking about all the nonsense, the boxing robes and muscle shirts and 40ft lemons, not about the buisness end.

JR#9 said:
What killed me and a ton of other people was the cheesiness of the tour.

It was just ridulous and way to gimmicky.

Even the band has called the tour "silly" and they were talking about all the nonsense, the boxing robes and muscle shirts and 40ft lemons, not about the buisness end.

I would agree that elements of the tour were a bit cheesey.

Chizip said:

yes, because of course we should judge the quality of music based on how many albums it sells

I see you love all the cheesey stuff hence the name rock and roll doggie.:giggle:

What should tell you about the quality of the music is the FACT that this is the ONE AND ONLY U2 album that all the memebers wanted to remake!!!!

What the fuck does that say to you R-N-R DOGGIE?

No spoken words said:
Cubs fans are the ones who are fucked. They have a team that plays in a major market, owned by an entity with deep pockets, yet will not spend much to help the team out. Anytime your closers have been Latroy Hawkins and Joe Borowski over the past few years.....you are truly fucked. Also, when your manager makes all starters throw 130 pitches a start, you are fucked.

Now, if the Cubs would add an ellipse to the field, or have MacPrior or MacWood pitch, or perhaps have their team emerge from a giant baseball before each game, Cubs fans would be less fucked.

That's Banannas

B-A-N-A-NNAs........

By the way dusty baker is the devil. seriously. I read it in weekly world news....

It was supposed to be cheesy. why do you think they had the press conference to star tthe tour at freaking K-mart?

but Bono dressed up as MacPhisto, his face fully painted and wearing devil horns, was cheesier than anything on the Popmart tour

though riding around in a giant lemon shaped mirrorball does come close

Dalton said:

That's Banannas

B-A-N-A-NNAs........

By the way dusty baker is the devil. seriously. I read it in weekly world news....

He's not the devil, he's waaaaayyyy too incompetent to be Satan. Satan is one evil bastard, but he knows his shit, he'd know how to juggle a pitching staff. Baker's more like a lower level demon, methinks.

Chizip said:
you gotta love a person who calls someone with the moniker joyfulgirl "big guy"

:lmao: I guess he told me, huh.

Chizip said:

I have to say the MacPhisto thing was crazier than anything done on Popmart

I agree. And yet I completely loved it.

No spoken words said:

He's not the devil, he's waaaaayyyy too incompetent to be Satan. Satan is one evil bastard, but he knows his shit, he'd know how to juggle a pitching staff. Baker's more like a lower level demon, methinks.

Greatest.Post.Ever.

If we ever meet, I'm buying you drinks. From where the sun now stands in the sky, we are friends forever.

JR#9 said:

I'll tell you why...because that album was one of the best albums ever made..that why big guy.

The fact that people absolutely loved the album overcame U2 getting alittle to crazy with themselves at the concert.

Popmart wasn't 1/2 the album AB was and that combined with the fact that they hammed it up even more on Pop was why the tour bomed so badly and once again as somebody else pointed out the tour played to some really pathetic audiences in Europe as well.

Okey dokey, little girl.

JR#9 said:

I see you love all the cheesey stuff hence the name rock and roll doggie.:giggle:

What should tell you about the quality of the music is the FACT that this is the ONE AND ONLY U2 album that all the memebers wanted to remake!!!!

What the fuck does that say to you R-N-R DOGGIE?

you must love it too since your name is "The Fly" :giggle: :rolleyes:

and Edge has said he'd love to go back and rework every album if he could

don't often post and I understand that I'm coming into this discussion rather late in the day however....

I went to elevation - manchester (indoors) and elevation - slane and for the gig going experience slane pissed all over manchester.

Personally U2 belong playing outdoors and I for one can't wait to see them for the 2 manchester gigs next week!!

I'm at a loss to explain why they are not playing at least one of their american legs outside! I think it has been proven with the indoor sellouts that they could do a stadium leg no problem!!

Chizip said:
It was supposed to be cheesy. why do you think they had the press conference to star tthe tour at freaking K-mart?

but Bono dressed up as MacPhisto, his face fully painted and wearing devil horns, was cheesier than anything on the Popmart tour

though riding around in a giant lemon shaped mirrorball does come close

i dunno... the mirrorball man/fly/macphisto "cheesiness" worked for me. it was ironic, funny, and- gasp!- perhaps even a bit artistic?? (in my opinion it was- but what is "art"? :wink: ).

Popmart, however, just seemed over-the-top and empty. the muscle tees/football jerseys/mirrorball lemon... it just didn't work for me. :shrug: and please don't get me started on the 'discotheque' video! :no:

that being said, i love 'Pop'. i just don't love the what the band was doing with their image at the time... but i adore the whole Zoo TV 'sideshow' aspect!! :up: :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom