Saitama III Setlist Watch and Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RavenBlue said:
Maybe they'll have a fan come up and play tonight

*wishful thinking*

And play SLOW DANCING!! So that it can maintain its record of being the only b-side performed on every tour since its debut!

Seriously, Hawaii people: mention Slow Dancing to the band, and if you're going to be close enough to the stage, take a sign. I can provide lyrics and chords sheets. We need to get this song played!

maycocksean said:

True. Man, I remember when I first new they were going to play Bad at Saitama one. We were listening to the sound check about an hour and a half before the show. . .just Adam, Larry, and Edge. And Edge kicked into the opening to "Bad" and me the other two people there just looked at each other and smiled. I was SO happy because though I can't really pick a favorite U2 song, if I HAD to, Bad is probablly the one I would pick.

Oooh, what else did they soundcheck? I'm such a dork for this kind of information.

Wow, they totally broke up the political bit... or skipped it all together? Would they do LAPOE or Bullet or SBS on their own in an encore?

Bad! Booyah!! :drool:

must put azureus back on computer.....

RavenBlue said:
Playing with U2 on stage. I would possibly faint, though I'd keep telling myself.. this is a once in a lifetime thing so please don't faint. And don't forget the chords :giggle:

No problem there.There's only three chords.......

I got to hear them do Bad in Detroit last fall (it's been more than a year already?) My pal from Sydney who had flown in to visit went nuts. AND he got to see Bono and Kylie last month, how's that for luck?

Axver said:

Oooh, what else did they soundcheck? I'm such a dork for this kind of information.

And I'm such an idiot for not having it all burned on my brain. I was in such a daze that night, really. It being my first show and all. I couldn't even remember the setlist when the show was over!

But anyway, the soundcheck. When we came into the arena they were practicing COBL (which one wonders why they would need to practice that) and then Bad for awhile. . .that's all I remember.

:(

kennerado said:
hahaha Provide Bono with the lyrics

Actually we should start a movement to do that with *every* u2 song. At every show, in every city, there will be an interferencer or somebody with the lyrics to every song. It isn't just slow dancing Bono can't seem to remember :wink:

Alisaura said:
Wow, they totally broke up the political bit... or skipped it all together? Would they do LAPOE or Bullet or SBS on their own in an encore?

Separating LAPOE (or in this case, entirely eliminating it from the set) isn't that unusual. At eight first leg shows, LAPOE opened the gig while the political segment remained in the middle of the set. NYD preceded SBS instead, so I guess it was still sort of political.

And before anyone says anything, I know LAPOE opened nine shows. The first time, the political segment was played right after it to open the show.

maycocksean said:

And I'm such an idiot for not having it all burned on my brain. I was in such a daze that night, really. It being my first show and all. I couldn't even remember the setlist when the show was over!

But anyway, the soundcheck. When we came into the arena they were practicing COBL (which one wonders why they would need to practice that) and then Bad for awhile. . .that's all I remember.

:(

Heh, that's no problem! I couldn't remember if U2 had opened The Electric Co. with The Cry or not on 2005-05-28 until I heard a bootleg of it, and I'm meant to be the setlist dork! :lol:

... nowadays, to avoid disasters like that, I'm such a dork that I take a pen and paper with me and write down every little detail I can.

Also, checking COBL seems to be standard practice. I think that every soundcheck I've overheard, be it crew or the band, has involved COBL.

Axver said:
... nowadays, to avoid disasters like that, I'm such a dork that I take a pen and paper with me and write down every little detail I can.

I tried to do that the next day after Melbourne 1, I was scribbling all day in the queue on Sunday, but even then a lot of the details had dribbled out of my head. I completely mixed up all the stuff that happened between LAPOE, SBS, Bullet and Miss Sarajevo... :(

But I have a boot of Melb 1 now so it's all good. Who needs a memory when we have media?? :D

bgmckinney said:

Actually we should start a movement to do that with *every* u2 song. At every show, in every city, there will be an interferencer or somebody with the lyrics to every song. It isn't just slow dancing Bono can't seem to remember :wink:

That really would've been a huge help for Bono at the first Vertigo Tour gig! :lol:

Axver said:

You know I actually had my journal with me. (Figured if I had a chance for an autograph during the afternoon or evening I'd want them to sign my Journal, since it's my 40th volume and I have some of the verses from the song/scripture written in the front of the book). But with the crowd as rough as it was there was no way I could write anything down.

Axver said:
Also, checking COBL seems to be standard practice. I think that every soundcheck I've overheard, be it crew or the band, has involved COBL.

I wonder why that is? They must know it so well.

maycocksean said:

Soundcheck is meant to test the equipment, get a handle on the venue acoustics, etc. Songs that are straightforward to play and standard parts of the setlist are good for that sort of thing.

Alisaura said:

I tried to do that the next day after Melbourne 1, I was scribbling all day in the queue on Sunday, but even then a lot of the details had dribbled out of my head. I completely mixed up all the stuff that happened between LAPOE, SBS, Bullet and Miss Sarajevo... :(

But I have a boot of Melb 1 now so it's all good. Who needs a memory when we have media?? :D
It is amazing what you miss when you are there, especially in GA jumping up and down going nuts. Was it Melbourne II where Midnight Oil's Beds Are Burning was snippeted? I didn't notice it. I was probably going crazy at the time. I'm waiting for the bootleg to confirm it, but I've read it in the setlist reports so I know it happened and somehow I did not notice. Crazy since I love Midnight Oil.

maycocksean said:
You know I actually had my journal with me. (Figured if I had a chance for an autograph during the afternoon or evening I'd want them to sign my Journal, since it's my 40th volume and I have some of the verses from the song/scripture written in the front of the book). But with the crowd as rough as it was there was no way I could write anything down.

I'm surprised the Japanese crowd was so rough. I thought they were normally peaceful concertgoers?

By the way, these shows haven't had an interpreter, have they? I have a boot from one Lovetown gig in Japan where an interpreter was interpreting Bono's speeches for the audience. I can't remember if it was done at all Lovetown gigs, but definitely one of them. It struck me as kind of odd.

I wonder if it's got something to do with it being the opening song? I've really no idea, though.

Alisaura said:
I guess we need to know whether Bono's wearing the Coexist bandanna to know whether SBS/Bullet is coming up...

I just noticed from my photo when he came down to the railing of the barricade during Bad that he had the coexist bandana tied around his wrist.

Start 19:50 Lokalzeit

Wake up
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo / She Loves You-Snippet
Elevation
Out of Control
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
In A Little While-Snippet
Beautiful Day
Angel Of Harlem
The First Time
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own