Extra dates in addition?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miricale_Drug

War Child
Does anyone think U2 will add additional dates (in addition to those cancelled) ala what became lovetown?

I can see that happening. Without the burden of writing, promoting and playing live songs from a new album, it might excite them to be able to play live shows that won't require a lot of rehearsal and b.s.

They talk about hating to rehearse and I'm sure promoting new stuff sucks. After this long break....why not? I could see a "stadium tour" that brings them to Florida in the spring...something like this....

December - Austrailia, New Zealand
January - Japan, Hawaii
January - Mexico
February - San Diego, Aneheim/LA, Arizona
March - Miami, Orlando, Atlanta, New Orleans
April - New Orleans, Dallas, Houston, Detroit
May - Kansas City, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburg, Philadelphia
June - Charlotte, Washington D.C., New York/NJ, Boston, Toronto

Something like that......

boston2012 said:
I can see that happening. Without the burden of writing, promoting and playing live songs from a new album, it might excite them to be able to play live shows that won't require a lot of rehearsal and b.s.

They talk about hating to rehearse and I'm sure promoting new stuff sucks. After this long break....why not? I could see a "stadium tour" that brings them to Florida in the spring...something like this....

January - Japan, Hawaii
January - Mexico

:no: ....in order to get ready for the rescheduled dates I would like U2 play a short series of indoor shows in selected cities in Europe in September... like they did at LoveTown... A few shows in Germany, France, Holland and Dublin ...:drool: :drool: :drool:

...and if they the decide to do the US again.. I might just buy a plane ticket to the states... :wink:

wtonis said:

:no: ....in order to get ready for the rescheduled dates I would like U2 play a short series of indoor shows in selected cities in Europe in September... like they did at LoveTown... A few shows in Germany, France, Holland and Dublin ...:drool: :drool: :drool:

...and if they the decide to do the US again.. I might just buy a plane ticket to the states... :wink:

Difference being that Lovetown ended in Europe. They will most likely rehearse a few days in a studio and a few days in NZ or Australia (where ever the rescheduled leg starts) and that will be sufficient. Its not like they have a whole new set of songs to rehearse or new stage with new lighting to work out. Rehearsals dont need to be that long given the circumstances. So I doubt they would schedule dates just to warm up. :shrug:

I can see extra shows being added though in the areas/regions they were already planning to go but I doubt anything beyond that will happen.

boston2012 said:
I could see a "stadium tour" that brings them to Florida in the spring...something like this....

January - Japan, Hawaii
January - Mexico

:confused:
Have you already heard about something which is called "Europe" ?

Take a map.
Do you see the big blue thing east to the US ? :nerd:
Cross it.
You arrive on something which should be green or so.
Do you know what ? PEOPLE LIVE THERE TOO !:yes:

(in fact they are people living in a lot of other places than those you list ...) :yes:

they need to play New York again i think!

Nah, they'll play maybe a few extra dates in or around the areas they designated for leg 4 then disappear for 3 years, dont worry...

U2FanPeter said:
China?
India?
Bangkok?

Those seem to be reasonably within the realm of possibility. The Rolling Stones in 2003 went Australia -> Japan -> Singapore -> India. Scheduled dates that were cancelled (due to SARS) were in China and Thailand.

wtonis said:

You're right...my fault...I thought of Europe after I sent the message. In fact, they should ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS end their tour in Ireland!!!

chrissybaby is probably right. I know someone who is on their crew, and he told me yesterday the postponed shows would start in Nov. and end before Christmas in Hawaii. He said exact dates were still unknown and so far no new shows had been added, and if any were added, they would only be in the geographical area of the postponed shows; ie., Australia, Japan.

russmadem said:
chrissybaby is probably right. I know someone who is on their crew, and he told me yesterday the postponed shows would start in Nov. and end before Christmas in Hawaii. He said exact dates were still unknown and so far no new shows had been added, and if any were added, they would only be in the geographical area of the postponed shows; ie., Australia, Japan.

:hyper: That means I could potentially go to Hawaii!! It's during my winter break!

:ohmy:

Axver said:

Remember, U2 can't play China because they support a free Tibet.

I know that China made that threat nearly a decade ago. Never heard of it being enforced or artists that wanted to go there who haven't.

Another problem with China is they may have to self-censor their own material like the Stones recently officially agreed. On the brightside - hardcore fans may finally be able to have a show where they know Bullet may not be played.

u2fp

russmadem said:

I spoke with Next Adventure this afternoon and they confirmed that there will be shows added, but they would only be in the geographic vicinity of the 10 shows that were postponed. Also they were hoping for an announcement this week, but don't know if that will happen, they are waiting on insurances. But this will be the end of the Vertigo tour.

U2FanPeter said:

I know that China made that threat nearly a decade ago. Never heard of it being enforced or artists that wanted to go there who haven't.

Would be interesting to see what would happen if U2 did try to play then.

Another problem with China is they may have to self-censor their own material like the Stones recently officially agreed. On the brightside - hardcore fans may finally be able to have a show where they know Bullet may not be played.

Why would China object to Bullet? It is an anti-Reagan/American tune, something I'd think the Chinese would happily support.

DignityPassesBy said:
HEY AXVER YOUR BACK ... noones been fighting with me so i've been a bit bored

How are you going, you prick? :wink:

Carek1230 said:

I spoke with Next Adventure this afternoon and they confirmed that there will be shows added, but they would only be in the geographic vicinity of the 10 shows that were postponed. Also they were hoping for an announcement this week, but don't know if that will happen, they are waiting on insurances. But this will be the end of the Vertigo tour.

I've heard this too :yes: I'm just so excited that I will be attending the NZ/OZ and Hawaii shows......once they're announced :dance:

Carek1230 said:

I spoke with Next Adventure this afternoon and they confirmed that there will be shows added, but they would only be in the geographic vicinity of the 10 shows that were postponed.

So does geographic vicinity in this case refer to shows added in the same city, country, or continent (i.e. Asia)?

They must play again in New York, i mean, 8 shows so far, maybe they didn't get bored playing in the same arena for 8 times.

the constant bitching about the shows america gets is silly.

the band doesn't pick venues based on who they think deserve the most shows. they will play where they feel they can make the most money... period.

madison square garden holds 18,000 people.

croke park holds 80,000.

8 shows at the garden is approx. 144,000 people.

3 shows at croke is approx. 240,000 people

the population of new york city is 8 million, closer to 16 million if you include the surrounding suburbs.

the population of the entire island of ireland is around 5.8 million.

yea... europe got screwed

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
the constant bitching about the shows america gets is silly.

the band doesn't pick venues based on who they think deserve the most shows. they will play where they feel they can make the most money... period.

madison square garden holds 18,000 people.

croke park holds 80,000.

8 shows at the garden is approx. 144,000 people.

3 shows at croke is approx. 240,000 people

the population of new york city is 8 million, closer to 16 million if you include the surrounding suburbs.

the population of the entire island of ireland is around 5.8 million.

yea... europe got screwed

Using Ireland, U2's home country as an example of U2's love for Europe is very, very wrong.
The whole Eastern Europe got no concerts from U2.
America got 80 concerts this year.
So please... don't tell me that Europe didn't deserve more.

Both Europeans and Americans are really spoiled when it comes to concerts, I hope for the next tour, South America, Australia, and Japan get two legs, and the U.S. and europe get just a handful of shows each. See how that feels.

Why this bickering on 'US deserves more' vs 'Europe deserves more'. I'm bored.

Everyone has had a really good opportuntity to see them at least once!

djerdap said:

Using Ireland, U2's home country as an example of U2's love for Europe is very, very wrong.
The whole Eastern Europe got no concerts from U2.
America got 80 concerts this year.
So please... don't tell me that Europe didn't deserve more.

Well, according to I think Sting2 in another thread, who is the Interference attendance guru. U2 played to more people on leg 2 in Europe over BOTH N. American legs. So more people in Europe had an oppurtunity to see U2 versus N. America on the Vertigo tour. :shrug:

Its a moot point anyway. I HIGHLY doubt any additional dates on either continent are in the works for next fall. Here is the thing though. U2 were tentatively planning a summer stadium tour of N. America this year. There were no additional European plans even being discussed. :shrug: Right or wrong, they were thinking of coming back to N. America again. So people throwing that out there isnt THAT ridiculous.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom