Extra dates in addition?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Paradise said:
There were rumors of U2 playing Fenway park in Boston this summer. I havent heard anything on that in a while though.

Not gonna happen...they already booked Dave Matthews with Sheryl Crow opening...they only do one show per year at Fenway.

U2FanPeter said:
I'm not a fan, but it needs to be brought up.

Bryan Adams has played 72 countries worldwide, about 40 more than U2.

His international career started around the same time as the Irish Fab Four.

I would love to see what Bono/u2 would say if an interviewer asked this question - and it DOES need to be asked.

u2fp

Bryan Adams is the only guy getting decent money on a Bryan Adams tour. Add to the fact, that I'm sure he's playing with a standard stage set up, no big effects, etc...

What is the size of the venues for B.A. in some "smaller" countries? PLUS, how big of a draw would B.A. be vs. U2?

U2FanPeter said:
I'm not a fan, but it needs to be brought up.

Bryan Adams has played 72 countries worldwide, about 40 more than U2.

His international career started around the same time as the Irish Fab Four.

I would love to see what Bono/u2 would say if an interviewer asked this question - and it DOES need to be asked.

u2fp

Bryan Adams might be a big deal in Canada, but elsewhere he's next to nothing. Trying to compare U2 with Bryan Adams is ridiculous. U2 has a lot more to deal with when they plan a concert tour simply because of the size/magnitude of the shows. I'm not certain that some smaller countries have the overall infrastructure to handle it.

Chrisedge said:

Bryan Adams is the only guy getting decent money on a Bryan Adams tour. Add to the fact, that I'm sure he's playing with a standard stage set up, no big effects, etc...

What is the size of the venues for B.A. in some "smaller" countries? PLUS, how big of a draw would B.A. be vs. U2?

Bryan Adams may be a solo artist, but his management is still getting their 20% and wouldn't book him into a place that wasn't worthwhile.

Adams, being backed by some very wealthy empires, are doing public gigs that would gross as much as some dates on the Elevation tour. Also, these international arenas are bigger than many places U2 have played in the past 20 years.

As for Adams popularity, it's nowhere near u2's, partly dues to the fact I can't remember the last hit song he released. He's now also reduced to playing minor league baseball parks co-billed with Def Leppard. That said, Canada is likely not in his top-10 markets, and I'm certain BA has played Stadiums(including Slane) in Europe in the past 5-6 years.

As for logistics, if U2 can do Sarajevo in 1997, then why can't they play in any other corner of the globe where several other international touring acts have already played?

u2fp

I think the only comparison to U2, in terms of big productions and popularity live and venue size, are the Stones.

I looked around and they apparently have no problems playing Moscow, Singapore, India, Croatia, Hong Kong and mainland China.

Who knows the answer to the questions raised here but the band themselves. Perhaps they don't choose to play these places for reasons? And these reasons do not have to be made public. There are any number of visa, export, tax and financial reasons involved logistically in moving a band around the world from venue to venue during a Tour. It's a huge undertaking. What it boils down to in the end is gross profit.

Carek1230 said:
Who knows the answer to the questions raised here but the band themselves. Perhaps they don't choose to play these places for reasons? And these reasons do not have to be made public. There are any number of visa, export, tax and financial reasons involved logistically in moving a band around the world from venue to venue during a Tour. It's a huge undertaking. What it boils down to in the end is gross profit.

Like how the band hasn't been more than about a 10 hour flight away from the US west coast in the past year?

BTW, how many countires didcrazy Jacko visit on his 96-7 tour with his enormous production?

u2fp

My money is on a mini 'prep' tour prior to the November shows... who knows, maybe something like the Brooklyn Bridge gig or Irving Plaza. Another SNL appearance would be cool, too. There will definitely be more performances other than the actual scheduled shows... they need to brush up, etc. and this would be the way to do it, IMHO. Maybe they'll do another '7' type disc with some HTDAAB session cuts, etc. to create some buzz about them being back on tour.

Back
Top Bottom