Bono gave a shout out to Zootopia at the end of the Hawaii show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How can anyone chose Zootopia over Interference is beyond me... But hey, to each his own!

Two completely un-scientific comments though about people who hang out on these boards:

1. Zootopia seems to have more Europeans, Interference more North-americans.

2. Zootopia seems to attract more young/new fans, which is normal I guess because naturally someone will first go to the 'official' site, and then move on to some fan-based ones. But I often find people kind of immature and not that interesting there... I find most of the discussions are just short hysterical comments with little substance.

But the whole lay-out and design of Interference is miles ahead Zootopia... I literally cannot stay more than two minutes there, it gives me headache. Plus I think one of the best things about Interference is the off-topic forums. I just love the fact that you can discuss politics, bad TV shows, other music, as well as U2, with the same people.

And btw, Bono DOES know about Interference. He has been reported making comments about both Interference and PLEBA in the past. But I think it's nice that he gave a shout out to Zootopians, and I am pretty sure if we make a big Interference banner for next tour he would notice it too, and probably sign it.

oceane said:
How can anyone chose Zootopia over Interference is beyond me... But hey, to each his own!

Two completely un-scientific comments though about people who hang out on these boards:

1. Zootopia seems to have more Europeans, Interference more North-americans.

2. Zootopia seems to attract more young/new fans, which is normal I guess because naturally someone will first go to the 'official' site, and then move on to some fan-based ones. But I often find people kind of immature and not that interesting there... I find most of the discussions are just short hysterical comments with little substance.

But the whole lay-out and design of Interference is miles ahead Zootopia... I literally cannot stay more than two minutes there, it gives me headache. Plus I think one of the best things about Interference is the off-topic forums. I just love the fact that you can discuss politics, bad TV shows, other music, as well as U2, with the same people.

And btw, Bono DOES know about Interference. He has been reported making comments about both Interference and PLEBA in the past. But I think it's nice that he gave a shout out to Zootopians, and I am pretty sure if we make a big Interference banner for next tour he would notice it too, and probably sign it.

well said...........

I actually signed up to Interference minutes before I signed up to u2.com. I can't believe I remember the day but it was Oct 2000 and I was in a London internet cafe.

I love the format here. Zootops are great too but lately I've been getting annoyed with them. Go figure!

thrillme said:

What's your alias over there? I'm hmtmkmkm over there. There's things I like about both forums, but I like the vibe over at Zootopia more.

I actually don't post at Zootopia, but I read the board occassionally.

We're all U2 fans.

:up: right on!

Pfft, big deal. I got my own shout-out on the 10/10/05 New York show.

During Still Haven't Found, Bono said, "Alicia, this is for you!" and it was all for me!!!!

(Okay, it's possible he meant Alicia Keyes, but let me have my moment.) :shifty:

There are PLEBAns who are proud of it? :crack:

I thought I heard him say something about Zootopians at the show, and then I thought it sounded as if he was going to mention "other places" - but decided not to because he knew SOMEONE would complain when he did not mention the other places.

I don't think I need Bono thanking for me for wasting so much time online.

u2wedge said:
I think Bono gave a shout out to a Japanese fan club as well during one of the recent Japan shows.

He did at one of the first two Saitama shows. The name of the club is 4Freedom, and he actually gave another shout out to them in Hawaii too during the same All I Want is You Zootopia shout out.

"This goes out to, everyone who's been on a long journey with this band from other galaxies, like Zootopia, 4Freedom...I'm not going to mention names....."

4Freedom is quite happy about it on their club boards. :)

i like how he mentions names, then says he's not gonna mention names

Lila64 said:
Zootopia has a banner that has travelled the whole tour (at least from Europe onwards if I remember), and has been signed by people all over the world (me included). Bono & Edge as well. I don't recall if they ever got Larry or Adam. It was definitely in Hawaii and being viewed/signed. It was probably hanging over a rail, but I couldn't see it from my position. Perhaps someone up front saw it.

I wish that I would have looked for your name Lila....

This is the Zootopians United Against Poverty banner that has traveled the tour to gather support and actions for the campaigns against poverty and AIDS. It's been an amazing and successful journey as it gathered attention and interest from fans, the band, the crew, and media at many shows.

Yes, it was over the front rail Edge side in Hawaii. :)

I was very psyched to have the banner with me at Saitama III, and the response there was terrific. It prompted lots of talk from fans at the meet and greet who wanted to learn how to get involved and be heard. It hung over the front rail for the show, and I was surprised when Rocko came over before the show to check out its progress. Bono also took a good look at it during WOWY as he squatted down front stage near 4U2Play. :)

All band members except Larry have signed it. John, Rocko, and Dallas signed it too. The creator of the banner met with Bob Geldof at a concert in Belgium and he signed as well.

Here's a quick shot of it with me at Saitama III.
Fragrant.jpg

It's a cool thing when Bono and others make a point to reach out to the fans like this. For me it's a way to tell one another that we're all in this together - the love for the band, the music, the tour, the tough times, the celebrations, the campaigns, etc., and it's been more than a great experience.

greety said:
I'm not sure Tina started the banner but she has taken him on many trip, for sure ;)

Here is a pic of said banner in Hawaï, and the girl on the right is the one who got is signed here by Bob Geldof.

http://desertsky.smugmug.com/gallery/2230110/1/116228544

That is Tina from Belgium and she was the "inspiration" for the banner.

I was very proud that Zootopians had the inspiration and determination to take the banner around the entire world during the Vertigo tour starting in Belgium during the European leg last year.

While some people connected with the banner might have used it as a ploy to get onstage and/or close to the band, there were many more that actually used the banner to rally other U2 fans into the campaign to make poverty history. :up:

They also were the people behind organizing the sea of (RED) at the hawaii concert that got a shout out from (RED) in its blog on its website. (http://www.joinred.com)

You can say what you want but I think that the reason Zootopia was given such a respectful recognition by B onstage was that he knows that there are a LOT of us in the Zoo that are actually DOING WHAT WE CAN to support him in his activities for Africa. :yes:

OK - go ahead and flame. :lmao:

While i think its great idea, the girls who were "in charge" of the banner in Melbourne (from Zootopia) were the rudest bitchest girls we've ever met. They pushed in front of people and claimed they needed front row because 'bono needed to see the banner' They then spent the whole time before the concert screaming at Dallas and the others and then got all excited that "dallas waved" (i didn't think a two fingers salute was a wave but different strokes for different folks right? :wink: )

They were just a very sad, pushy bunch of girls, who were very nasty to the people around them, and I felt sorry for my friends who were stood near them. Shame they had to give a fun idea such a bad name in Melbourne *shrug*

I guess I'm for poverty since I didn't sign a banner to show I'm against it :(

dazzlingamy said:
They pushed in front of people and claimed they needed front row because 'bono needed to see the banner'

If that's true then that's lame, and it proves they used the banner to get a reaction out of Bono. if they were truly just doing this to spread the word about poverty, then just getting people to sign it before and after the show would be enough, you're helping inform people about poverty. but if Bono "needs to see it" then its like you're just doing it to get Bono's approval or something.

All of your sarcasm about such a project is an expected part of the scene, but it's good to see that there are some fans that do understand and appreciate the real intention of the banner and its travels or are trying to learn more about it.

Bashing fellow fans when you don't know much about them, the project, about the people involved, and all of the hard work, heart and soul that went into it is pointless. I can understand making judgements, and I'm sorry that some were left with negative impressions at the shows, but maybe if you looked deeper into things you'd feel differently about it.

I put the information out there with you guys because I am very honored to have been a part of the banner project and wanted to let you know a bit more about it. I loved being able to rally support for the work to be done and connect with fellow fans in a way that went beyond the music. It was a surprise when Lila brought it up in the context of the Zootopian shout out, and am psyched that there are fans on this board too who have been part of it.

And yeah, I had done a check on myself when hoping Bono would see it at the Saitama show to make sure my heart was in the right place. When you respect someone and what they do I believe it's a cool thing to let them know that they are not alone in their efforts and actions. If he saw the banner I'd be thrilled, and if not, that wouldn't take away from the successful connections with the fans.

If any of you want to know more about the banner and its travels please let me know. Tina has lots more information that I could share with you.

Back
Top Bottom