Chicago (Hotels to stay at)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clerks

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I have tickets to the Chicago Sept 21st show.

Where is a good hotel to stay at?

I've never been to Chicago before and would like to get as close to the arena as possible.

is it like Boston or NYC where you can get a hotel within walking distance?

Thanks.

I wouldn't stay at a hotel within walking distance of the United Center. It's really not a good area. However, you can stay at a downtown hotel, which results in about a 5 minute drive. Plus, there are a ton of great places to eat at within walking distance of the downtown hotels, which isn't the case around the United Center.

I stayed at the Cass Hotel, and I know a lot of other people from here did. Literally everyone I saw at the hotel was wearing a U2 shirt :) It's not the nicest hotel in the world, but it's clean, relatively inexpensive ($80 to $90 a night), has an on-site garage (for a fee), and is ideally located. Here's their website: http://www.casshotel.com/

Staying at that hotel puts you at about a 5 to 10 minute drive (depending on traffic) to the United Center, 2 blocks from Michigan avenue, half a block from the best pizza in Chicago, 3 blocks from the best breakfast I've ever had, and 2 blocks from one of Chicago's train stops that will take you pretty much anywhere you want to go.

If you're looking for somewhere nicer, there are a ton of other hotels right around the same area too.

When we were there for the shows in May we stayed at the Hyatt McCormick Place. It was nice, I got a great deal on it on Expedia and it isn't TOO far from the United Center. It is not really within walking distance though, you would still need to take a cab. Trying to get a cab anywhere near the United Center after the show was virtually impossible. We ended up walking a good distance back to the hotel before we flagged one down.

RB

Never been to chitown...yet:
If you have to drive to the UC anyway, wouldn't it be cheaper (maybe even easier) to get a hotel in the 'burbs and just drive in?

Or is a 20 mile drive in Chicago a 2 hour journey?

HappyFatBono said:
Never been to chitown...yet:
If you have to drive to the UC anyway, wouldn't it be cheaper (maybe even easier) to get a hotel in the 'burbs and just drive in?

Or is a 20 mile drive in Chicago a 2 hour journey?

On the whole, no, it;s not. It really depends on where you stay and what expressway you take.

clerks said:

I've never been to Chicago before and would like to get as close to the arena as possible.

Thanks.

try days inn, lennox house suites(usually have deals), do search on internet for good deals. stay downtown cab ride is about $10 at the most. once you're downtown you can pretty much walk anywhere you want, after one of the shows in May we walked from the UC to lake shore dr.
good luck

Whatever you do spend the extra $ and stay downtown. When I went I had a friend who worked at a Chicago "Hotel" and she hooked us up on the room. The hotel was outside the city. Was not fun at all. There are some really nice hotels downtown.

Yeah, definitely stay downtown. There's so much great stuff within walking distance of pretty much wherever you are downtown. You'll have a lot more fun :)

gorman said:
I wouldn't stay at a hotel within walking distance of the United Center. It's really not a good area. However, you can stay at a downtown hotel, which results in about a 5 minute drive. Plus, there are a ton of great places to eat at within walking distance of the downtown hotels, which isn't the case around the United Center.

I stayed at the Cass Hotel,

Agreed 100%!!!!! Love the Cass for cheap nights in Chi-town. Also, there's the Congres Plaza which I stayed at for last spring's U2 show. It doesn't have the stuff around it that the Cass does; but it's a quick cab ride up Michigan Ave to the Rush & Division area where there are lots of fun bars and excellent restaurants.

Oh, made make sure you get a cab quickly after the show. That is a very very not nice area. Cabs are tough to get and you DO NOT want to take the bus.

We took the bus to/from the show during Elevation and it worked fine! They run an event bus route from N. Michigan Ave. through downtown before and after the show (so don't dilly dally after the show), also a regular bus route runs from downtown to the UC. So public transit is fine, and it's not a long ride. I agree with the others, stay in The Loop (downtown) or River North/Mich. Ave. You should try Priceline bidding for a 3-4* hotel in those areas.

So theres the Hyatt McCormick Place, the Cass Hotel, Congress Plaza, days inn, lennox house suites.... any others? thanks for the help. Arriving on the 20th of the first show. Can't wait!!

Any parties?

clerks said:

Thanks.

I am staying at the Red Roff Inn at 162 E Ontario it is 3 miles from the United Center and is 3 star hotel for $90 a night.:wink:

Last edited:
artdirector said:
So theres the Hyatt McCormick Place, the Cass Hotel, Congress Plaza, days inn, lennox house suites.... any others? thanks for the help. Arriving on the 20th of the first show. Can't wait!!

Any parties?

There will be a pre-show party at FADO's the ETS pick up spot (for the GA tickets) Vertigo will be playing there!!! I cannot wait either!:yes:

currently looking for flights/hotels... what is the best deal you got?

Any more hotels to stay at for sure?

I'm looking to arrive Tuesday... go to the show on Wednesday... go home Thursday.

So I want to be close to the United Center. See Wrigley field and other sites. And of course eat all the great food and shopping.

Is the Cass Hotel my best bet? The Tremont Hotel looked good. I can't decide. I just don't know the area well enough. I'm looking at maps.

Days Inn Gold Coast in Lincoln Park is a great place. When we returned after a show in May, there were so many people wearing their U2 apparel. It's a 10-15 minute walk downtown, not too far from Wrigley (5 miles or so), and a 20 minute drive to the UC.

Last edited:
clerks said:
currently looking for flights/hotels... what is the best deal you got?

Any more hotels to stay at for sure?

Southwest airlines has really great packages starting at $60!!!:wink:

Yeah I would highly recommend Southwest also! Whenever I fly out to Chi-Town to see my guy I fly them. The flights are cheap and the service is great,:). Oh and to whoever was wondering about the drive from the burbs. I went to one of the U2 concerts back in May and we drove in from the outside of the city. The drive was pretty quick as the expressway wasn't crowded at all.

clerks said:
I'm looking to arrive Tuesday... go to the show on Wednesday... go home Thursday.

So I want to be close to the United Center. See Wrigley field and other sites. And of course eat all the great food and shopping.

Is the Cass Hotel my best bet? The Tremont Hotel looked good. I can't decide. I just don't know the area well enough. I'm looking at maps.

I've stayed at the Tremont before. It's a great hotel for the right person. I love the location, it's just a block off of Michigan Ave, right by Water Tower place, so there's lots of stuff nearby. It's attached to Ditka's restaurant.
But it's a small european-styled hotel. There's one tiny elevator that serves the whole hotel. Not a huge deal if you're not in a huge rush, but some people value convenience more than I. The rooms are quite small, but if you're not planning on throwing a party there, who cares.

If you like a little character in your hotel, it's a great spot. If you want to know that everyting will be "just so", then maybe it's not for you.

I booked a room on Hotwire today - we have GA tickets for Tues Sept 20, but since we will be getting there early to line up and you usually can't check in before 3pm (which would cut it close to get showered and back to UC) we will check in on Mon the 19th.
I punched in to search Chicago, IL in the 4 downtown areas. We got a 4 star hotel, "Best Value", "Customer Favorite" for $97/night in the North Michigan Avenue/Water Tower/Gold Coast (Downtown Area) - ended up being the Omni Ambassador East. If you search and come up with those things, amenities as restaurant/fitness center/high-speed internet access/business center - then it is probably the same place. According to Yahoo, it is supposed to be a 4 mile (9 minute) drive. $34 additional dollars in taxes though, probably parking too :down: Looked up a room on the Omni website, cheapest is with a AAA discount for $179/night.

Ooooooo I just signed up for the Select Guest Program on the Omni Site :hyper: I have used Hotwire and Priceline before, though I often got the impression that they looked down on us when we checked in. Now I'll be a fancy Select Guest and they should be extra nice to us :tongue:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom