Wanted: THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZOOTVTOURist

Refugee
Yes, apart from the circulating rumours of U2 thinking about changes in the (until now brilliant) setlists for Europe, I have a dream: The band does not only think about to play more 90ies' stuff, but also a step back to seldom played tracks from THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE, especially the album's title tune and "A Sort Of Homecoming". Wow, what magic moments these beautiful tracks would create in the stadiums ...

I think think that the final, intense moments of Wire should be snippeted at the end of Vertigo, and I think Promenade (and October) should be rotated with The Ocean and Into The Heart. And it'd be lovely to hear a performance of the title track. And if MLK was played before Streets.

Well, the very first live performance of the beautiful "Promenade" seems to me a really very, very optimistic vision. And "Wire" - yes, that would be something. A part in the show dedicated to THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE with three songs in a row "A Sort Of Homecoming", "Wire" and "The Unforgettable Fire". Wow!

Dear Messrs Hewson, Evans, Clayton, and Mullen,

Please play all of The Unforgettable Fire album from start to finish, in order. Preferably, please do this in my backyard. Thank you.

Sincerely,
André Axver

the tourist said:
I think think that the final, intense moments of Wire should be snippeted at the end of Vertigo

i had the same thought a couple months ago. it would work perfectly.

I agree with Axver, The Unforgettable Fire tour was the second chance I had to see them. I saw them early in the tour and the songs didn't sound as they did in later tours i.e. Unforgettable Fire, Sort of Homecoming, Indian Summer Sky, Bad and even Wire. Wire ending Vertigo? what a concept. I believe this tour has so far been excellent but could you all imagine adding these UF songs? I'm a setlist junkie and I know they never plaed or even snippeted Promande. Just think of the concert goers that are present would do if they played that song. I know I would be just awestruck. What do you think, Axver, would there be ever a chance to see that song anywhere? Wasn't there an issue with Bono's voice on Sort of Homecoming?
UF and ASOH are in my top ten for sure.

@ YBORCITYOBL

After the 1st leg, I could imagine anything. Nobody has thought about, that U2 might dust off songs from their early early days in that amount and quality: "Stories For Boys", "The Cry", "The Electric Co.", "An Cat Dubh", "Into The Heart", "The Ocean" or "Gloria" are played in emotional and intense versions - highlights, of the whole tour, in my opinion.
U2 chosing to perform tunes (especially non-single tracks!), they haven't for two decades (still not getting it, how could could neglect these gems completely ...), shows the actual value the band gives their own work - from BOY to the actual, very strong album. And now the band is even having "fun moments" with playing "Control", "Party Girl", "Found or ""Horses" in not perfectly rehearsed versions - but they play it. So: anything is possible. And let's keep our fingers crossed for rare tunes also from THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE. These magical tunes deserve it. And: I don't think these tracks are more demanding than the ones, Bono already sings. And the lyrics might be on the teleprompter, so we still wait for the first real "A Sort Of Homecoming" version after 1987 - and the dusting off of "The Unforgettable Fire" (not performed since LOVETOWN). It would be a dream come true ...

I would really love ot hear tracks like Wire, A Sort Of Homecoming and in particular The Unforgettable Fire, which is one of my favourite U2 tracks of all time and is so different to there other work.

I think the problem is with Bono's voice. Remember he was told to steer clear of certain songs and I think Unforgettable Fire would take a lot of energy and power, as would A Sort Of Homecoming.

I think it would be great to hear City Of Blinding Lights, then as the song comes to a close they could fuse the opening bars of The Unforgettable Fire, I really think it could work.

I'd also like to mention In God's Country, October and even one out of Surrender, Fire or I Fall Down would be amazing.

@Thanksandy

Talking about Bono's voice is an eternal topic going on, I think. And maybe a right one, too - because after more than 25years, a man in his 40ies doesn't sing like a teenager anymore. And yes, he's lost a bit in the high tones and the general volume - but this is not worse at all. In my opinion Bono sings different, but still excellent - especially on this tour and on tunes, that are vocally demanding. Take the BOY/OCTOBER tunes with their high register - maybe, that's also a reason apart from band history why played rather early in the set - or "Bad" and "40" after more than two hours. "Sometimes" is a prove itself, that Bono has still the capability to sing.
So, for our requested THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE trio there might be a way to play these tracks in switching with the BOY/OCTOBER part - you'll get very different setlists every night. But these night I'd suggest to play at least one of the oldest tunes in the encore, as "Control", "Follow" or even "Gloria".

I remember reading somewhere before Elevation Tour that u2 dad thought about rehearsing The UF and other stuff from UF album, but it didn't sound too great.... so they gave up.

But for this tour, regarding that Bono's voice is in better shape and that HTDAAB has a common sound with UF, I hope they will play some songs of this album, beside Pride and Bad.....

We will know in 1 month....

Wire :drool:
Please play PROMANDE

Although Bono's voice is definitely different, I think he sings a lot better now than ever before. On this tour he seems to be doing a whole lot better than Elevation.

I listened to all of UF last night, what a classic CD.:rockon:

I've been burning some Joshua Tree shows for a friend this weekend and, of course, I had to listen to them while burning.

If I was at a show now and they busted out MLK>Unforgettable Fire, I would lose it! :)

Mmm..... the older stuff mized with the new....

As long as they play PRIDE...

Though I kind of like how A Sort of Homecoming preluded PRIDE in the UF album. Intersting perspective on both songs via that setup.

(But WIRE should not follow PRIDE, as far as Iam concerned... just doesn't work for me.)

Just switching some of those, would be a dream come true - especially the resurrection of "A Sort Of Homecoming" and "The Unforgettable Fire" ...

Back
Top Bottom