Whaddaya think of my (slightly) alternate Unforgettable Fire track-listing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SayGoodbye

Babyface
I think The Unforgettable Fire would be basically perfect if it weren't for "Indian Summer Sky" and "Elvis Presley and America". I'm not that huge on "MLK" either, however I think that's because it mostly functions as a lullaby outro but since EPAA is kinda snoozy already, following it with a lullaby makes it come across as kinda dreary. So...

Side 1:
1. A Sort of Homecoming
2. Pride
3. Wire
4. The Unforgettable Fire
5. Boomerang II (would pick up the pace a bit after the title track, but not to the same degree as Wire, and end side 1 on a 'to be continued', searching note)

Side 2:
6. Promenade (a welcoming opener to side 2 after the previous 3 more antsy/dramatic tracks)
7. Three Sunrises (it starts with a similar ambience to Promenade, so I think this could flow well and also work as a solid side 2 "pick me up" equivalent to Pride. Would be even better if Promenade could directly flow into it)
8. 4th of July
9. Bad (thinking it could function well as a late climax to the album, similar to Surrender on War)
10. MLK (Bad ends with the line "I'm not sleeping", so the opening line of this one, "sleep, sleep tonight", would make it sound like some kind of conversation, one friend comforting the other).

So, really similar to the original album (because it's such an amazing album to begin with), with just a couple of minor changes.

I like the concept and flow, but TUF without EPAA and ISS is just not TUF.

EPAA is as much about the story and magic of the energy and moment than the quality of the track. It needs a place.

ISS is one of the stronger non-singles and really captures the focus on the rhythm section blended with atmospherics that typifies the era.

I think you could slot ISS in after TUF and EPAA in before Bad and I could really get behind it.

The original is fine with me but I wish they would have found a home for Love Comes Tumbling because it would have been one of the top 4 songs on the album.

I don't know why you'd make a custom tracklist and not include both B-sides from Wide Awake in America.

If the album has a flaw to me, it's that it comes off a bit slight (a short instrumental track, a short a cappella closer) and could use a couple more tracks. Well, that and the album version of Bad being a pale tease of the epic live version.

I don't know why you'd make a custom tracklist and not include both B-sides from Wide Awake in America.

If the album has a flaw to me, it's that it comes off a bit slight (a short instrumental track, a short a cappella closer) and could use a couple more tracks. Well, that and the album version of Bad being a pale tease of the epic live version.

That reminds me, I once made a custom tracklist where I put those two tracks between Promenade and 4th Of July, putting Three Sunrises as Track 6 and Love Comes Tumbling as Track 7 and then continuing on with 4th of July and not changing anything else. It actually worked really well.

I did that with inserting Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane into the middle of Sgt. Pepper's, one to close out Side A and the other to open Side B.

Probably more controversial but it sounded good to me.

I like the concept and flow, but TUF without EPAA and ISS is just not TUF.

EPAA is as much about the story and magic of the energy and moment than the quality of the track. It needs a place.

ISS is one of the stronger non-singles and really captures the focus on the rhythm section blended with atmospherics that typifies the era.

I think you could slot ISS in after TUF and EPAA in before Bad and I could really get behind it.
Fair enough, your mileage will of course vary if you like those two tracks more than I do/think they're essential to the album's overall effect.

With ISS, I don't find it outright unpleasant to listen to or anything, but I guess I've always just seen it as a less exciting take on what they were going for on Wire or Boomerang II (twitchy, Talking Headsy rhythms with cool Eno/U2 soundscapes overlayed). I do agree that there are some nice atmospheric flourishes on it.

I'll also say that I personally love the transition between 4th of July and Bad, so I'm not totally sure if I'd be up to put EPAA before Bad, but eh, different strokes.

The original is fine with me but I wish they would have found a home for Love Comes Tumbling because it would have been one of the top 4 songs on the album.

The main reason I didn't include Love Comes Tumbling is because it sounds very similar to Boomerang II (almost identical guitar riffs) and I think the latter works slightly better with the album flow I'm going for. I could probably be swayed on which I'd include though - I like both songs a lot.

That reminds me, I once made a custom tracklist where I put those two tracks between Promenade and 4th Of July, putting Three Sunrises as Track 6 and Love Comes Tumbling as Track 7 and then continuing on with 4th of July and not changing anything else. It actually worked really well.
I'll have to give this a try!

I wanted to come into this thread with an open mind, but OP opened with

I think The Unforgettable Fire would be basically perfect if it weren't for "Indian Summer Sky" and "Elvis Presley and America". I'm not that huge on "MLK" either,

And I don't have time for that kind of negativity in my life.

But for realz, Axver has the best alt tracklist for The Unforgettable Fire.

It wouldn't be a music forum if you didn't see music takes that offend all your sensibilities on a regular basis. I'm just trying to do my part in contributing to that :D

I should say though that I LOVE The Unforgettable Fire, probably my 3rd fav after War and JT. I could listen to the title track and Sort Of Homecoming on repeat and never get bored.

I was honestly hoping he'd come in and refresh mine. Let me see if I can find it. I used to have it burned to a CD, but I don't have a playlist of it handy. But it uses every song from the era, I believe also including the one unreleased song that was floating around.

Back
Top Bottom