Lance Armstrong charged... again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I liked a comment I'd read, which was that considering the state of the sport, it would have been less suspicious for Lance to have conceded some lesser history of doping. Do an A-Rod "Yeah, sure, #s 1 through 5 I cheated", because an absolute denial was just unbelievable.

The thing now becomes how dirty is this sport? Are we going to have to go back to the bloke who came 38th to find a winner for the 2003 Tour?

I think he'll get to keep his TDF victories.

I'm more interested in knowing what the UCI's role was/is in all of this.

Doctor Christopher Gore, head of physiology at the Australian Institute of Sport, is cited saying that there was less than a one in a million chance Armstrong’s low level of immature blood cells, which can be caused by blood doping, occurred due to natural causes. And his plasma level rose during the 2009 Tour de France, a normal occurrence after strenuous physical activity, before suddenly dropping one week into the race.

“This would not happen naturally, but would happen if Armstrong engaged in blood transfusion during this period,” the anti-doping agency said. “USADA has requested laboratory and collection information from UCI appropriate to validate the accuracy of the UCI blood test results given to Prof. Gore. UCI has refused to provide USADA laboratory data without Mr. Armstrong’s consent, which he has refused to give.”

Am I reading this to literally, or did he just say blood transfusion?? That's how this doping is done, via fucking blood transfusion?? Are they nuts?

What do you expect when there's so much money involved? Cycling has a huge problem (though I actually do believe that it's better now) but most big sports do. It's just more visible in cycling.

I put too much faith in people it seems :sad:

At least he was really, REALLY good at it! :hyper:

eh, I'm still not going to get my panties in a bunch over it. Seems pretty much everyone was cheating at that time, so what the hell. His cycling career was a remarkable accomplishment whether he cheated or not.

There was some talk a few years ago about Lance Armstrong running for Governor of Texas, as a Democrat. It's funny to think about what would be happening to him now if he had run and been elected.

I heard about some of it on the radio today. His doping allegedly goes back to before he had the cancer. It was obvious post cancer- there's no way someone comes back from near death to the performance levels he achieved. We want to believe in fairy tale stories like that, I do. But I read his book, with the vivid descriptions of his health at the time. And there's just no way he could have done that naturally, no human could.

I think the damning thing is that it sounds like as well as a user, he seemed to be the lead enforcer, the pusher if you will of doping methods and as has been described, one of the leads in the biggest doping ring ever in sport.

I find it hard to get annoyed about doping, but it seems he was actively encouraging doping and bullying those who did not tow the line, which I think is the shameful part.

There is a flaw in the 'well everyone was doing it and he was still the best' line of argument, as it seems clear what he was using and the methods and programme of doping he was on were much more advanced than the rest of the field. So did he win simply because he was a much better? Or because he doped better than anyone else?

Basically they should just scrap the titles from the years he won, no one won and move on and leave those years blank.

And why not scrap the years Ullrich, Pantani, Riis, even Merckx, Anquetil... won?

Sorry I meant more the whole sort of era, if they want to have a clean break then the whole era should be forgotten about. Not singling Lance out.

I can understand that but still. They'd best just leave it as it is imo. I think it's safe to say that 90% of the people who one the TDF doped so...

Barry Bonds cheats = grrrrr angry! What an asshole! He's ruined the game! Raaaaaarrr! I know everyone was doing it, but he broke records that were broken by real heroes who didn't cheat! Alcoholics and womanizers, sure... but they didn't cheat!

Lance Armstrong cheats = but he was such an inspiration to us all... and honestly, everyone was doing it so its not fair to single him out.

It really is amazing how the media's portrayal of someone can lead to completely different reactions to the exact same crimes. I dunno... I guess its the cancer comeback/sympathy that people have for Lance, which I guess is understandable. It can't be that he was a nice guy, because as it turns out he was a pretty huge douche.

Strange.

Wow, I feel incredibly embarrassed by my past views.

Here is an exception piece of investigative journalism including interviews with former teammate Tyler Hamilton and cycling guru Phil Liggett.

The absolute final turning point for me was Liggett saying he finds it very difficult to believe he didn't cheat, and how can he face people knowing he is a pathological liar? If Liggett says he was a cheat than you are an idiot to defend him. He knows more about the sport than anyone.

I've still got some respect for the guy because of the charity work and fighting back from cancer, but he is befitting of the word "disgraced" now.

Four Corners - Home

Goes about 40-45 minutes, let me know if it doesn't work in your country, and I'll try to find another link.

Barry Bonds cheats = grrrrr angry! What an asshole! He's ruined the game! Raaaaaarrr! I know everyone was doing it, but he broke records that were broken by real heroes who didn't cheat! Alcoholics and womanizers, sure... but they didn't cheat!

Lance Armstrong cheats = but he was such an inspiration to us all... and honestly, everyone was doing it so its not fair to single him out.

It really is amazing how the media's portrayal of someone can lead to completely different reactions to the exact same crimes. I dunno... I guess its the cancer comeback/sympathy that people have for Lance, which I guess is understandable. It can't be that he was a nice guy, because as it turns out he was a pretty huge douche.

Strange.

And yet, Bonds' statistics and records won't be changed or altered, while Armstrong will lose his seven Tour titles.

Ironic.

It was frustrating enough when Bernard Kohl was stripped of his King of the Mountains jersey. It was frustrating enough when Contador got stripped of just the one title, but for 7 Tour titles to have now been removed from history, it's kind of exasperating.

Drugs or no drugs, at least the cycling was exciting at the time... I suppose, as tainted as it now seems.

If I hear one more fucking "I have the same amount of Tour de France titles as Lance Armstrong" joke I'm going to fucking lose it.

Related, I'm never going to be able to watch Dodgeball the same way again :(

I think I have an shitbag radar or something. I've always thought Armstrong was a douchebag.

Back
Top Bottom