I'm afraid of what a teacher will say

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I always was a straigh A over-achiever and he struggled terribly

I'm sure you were...
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
(awww...I luv ya sula, I jest couldn't reSIST!)

Anyhew, about this worrying thing, don't. Lots of times when kids really excel at things that they were previously struggling with, teachers request a meeting with the parents to see what they're doing and to see if they can do more to help your child more. Besides, who cares if your child doesn't get good marks at school, marks are EXTREMELY relative. I like to think of myself as intelligent, but I don't get good marks really (B's and A-'s usually). But that doesn't mean I'm stupid (or so I choose to believe), so don't worry.

I agree with sula on the fact that you must be a good parent, else you wouldn't worry about this. Hey, at least you don't pretend to be asleep when she's in the room (that's a good way to make your child resent you, trust me).

------------------
Every question possesses a power that does not lie in the answer.

This has never happened to me before. I always stress myself out when it?s report card time. Not for me but my kids. My worst fear is that my daughter will be kept back from her friends. It?s the worst. I hate it. My daughter is in grade 2. She has had so many changes in the last year and I?m scared to death that she will not be progressing like she should and be kept back.

Well, first report card came home ? she was just average. I don?t expect her to be straight A student. She is very much into sports and I truly believe she will be a ?jock? rather than a ?scholar? Not that that is a bad thing.

I fear my failure as a parent. I find myself second guessing what I should and shouldn?t do to help her.
After the first report and the interview the teacher assures me that she is doing just fine and to just encourage her to write more. Her reading was OK ? which is what I was more worried about.

Anyway, the second report comes home this week. She actually improved in most areas including reading, I think writing stayed the same. BUT, and here?s the stressing out part, the teacher requests an interview with us. I mean that usually only occurs if there is a concern with progress. I look at her report and she actually improved. So what?s the deal with the interview. This has never happened before. Not that she has been in school for that long but it?s new to me and it?s freaking me out totally.

I don?t want to freak my daughter out thinking she isn?t doing well, but am afraid of what the teacher is going to say. Pretty sad huh? Hopefully it's nothing.

oh, icelady, I wouldn't cast such aspersions on your parenting skills. Number 1, you are OBVIOUSLY a mother who cares deeply, evidenced by the fact that you are so concerned about this. When it comes down to kids and school, I don't know that you can beat yourself over the head. Every child is different and responds in different ways to the education system. For example, with my brother and I...I always was a straigh A over-achiever and he struggled terribly. He's probably smarter than me and is incredibly gifted, but "school" and him just don't mix well. And while it was difficult for our whole family to watch him struggle through homework and to try to help him, I think it really helped us see that grades are definitely NOT the measure of a someone.

Anyways, I have several good friends now that are elementary teachers, and I know that they really care about their students and want to do all they can to help them enjoy school more and to maximize their potential. So, I wouldn't worry overly much about the interview thingy. It's very likely that the teacher just wants to be in closer communication with you so that you can be in accord on the best way to do the right thing for your child.
smile.gif

all that said, try not to worry. You are a good parent. ((((icelady))))

Thx Sula and Lily. I know I've being a little foolish worrying about it but for some reason I just have this idea in the back of my head that she is going to be kept back and that means her friends will move one, and she'll be upset and then I'll have even more problems with her.

Aiyaya I think I should just stop thinking about it. My meeting is tonight and I hope that it is really nothing to be concerned about.

ALl I know is it will be a rather long day waiting.... thanks for listening.

Back
Top Bottom