The Fly Live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheEdge25

Refugee
Anyone have the chords Bono plays?

I know a couple of them, but if someone could describe them in more detail and maybe provide a little guidelines on how to play them? (Like timing, speed, melody, etc.) I really wanna get this song down :D

He plays the power barre E throughout the intro. He plays open E during the verses, and plays open A and D in the verses as well. Match it with the bass changes.

The chorus is C#m (barre on the 9th) to open E to A (barre on the 5th).

Coming out of the chorus he used to play an open E, but on 360 he played along with Adam's bass riff, which was E and D on the A string and then B, A and G on the E string.

During the solo, the order is this:

E A D E C#m A E B C#m E A

Again, changing whenever Adam does.

For the outro, he just plays an E.

I'm not sure what you mean by timing and speed and melody. That really kind of depends on the tour. On ZooTV he played the chords pretty regularly, along with the bass speed at a lot of times. 360 is different meanwhile: he plays arpeggios for the first portion of the chorus and then plays the full chords the second time through. And when he does the open chords in the verses, he usually just plays them once during the change.

Im pretty sure its just E and A and then in the chorus its E A then C#M i believe. Just play around with it! But I'm pretty sure in the first verse Bono plays The E as a bar chord then jumps to an A. i think The song is in E. But its pretty simple :D

He plays the power barre E throughout the intro. He plays open E during the verses, and plays open A and D in the verses as well. Match it with the bass changes.

The chorus is C#m (barre on the 9th) to open E to A (barre on the 5th).

Coming out of the chorus he used to play an open E, but on 360 he played along with Adam's bass riff, which was E and D on the A string and then B, A and G on the E string.

During the solo, the order is this:

E A D E C#m A E B C#m E A

Again, changing whenever Adam does.

For the outro, he just plays an E.

I'm not sure what you mean by timing and speed and melody. That really kind of depends on the tour. On ZooTV he played the chords pretty regularly, along with the bass speed at a lot of times. 360 is different meanwhile: he plays arpeggios for the first portion of the chorus and then plays the full chords the second time through. And when he does the open chords in the verses, he usually just plays them once during the change.

Interesting!! The song is in E right?

Philsfan got it exactly right. I've never understood why Bono uses the barre A chord after an open E. It's so much easier to switch to an open A, especially when you're singing.

Philsfan got it exactly right. I've never understood why Bono uses the barre A chord after an open E. It's so much easier to switch to an open A, especially when you're singing.

Probably so he can more easily switch back to C#m on the 9th fret.

Back
Top Bottom