Newbie needs equipment advice - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #21
War Child
 
Chill Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 788
Local Time: 04:11 PM
I have played neither the X3 Live nor the M13, but the main differences, from what I've read, is that the X3 Live is a full multi-fx modeller with a shitload of amp models, whereas the M13 is essentially a stompbox modeller meant to be used with your own amp, because it does no amp modeling.

The product manager for the M13 said that amp modeling takes up a lot more processing power than effects modeling, and since the M13 doesn't model amps, its processor is devoted wholly to doing effects, and this means that many of the effects on the M13 are of a higher quality than the X3 Live.

That's what I've read anyway.
__________________

Chill Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:13 PM   #22
The Fly
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 62
Local Time: 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Mike D View Post
I have played neither the X3 Live nor the M13, but the main differences, from what I've read, is that the X3 Live is a full multi-fx modeller with a shitload of amp models, whereas the M13 is essentially a stompbox modeller meant to be used with your own amp, because it does no amp modeling.

The product manager for the M13 said that amp modeling takes up a lot more processing power than effects modeling, and since the M13 doesn't model amps, its processor is devoted wholly to doing effects, and this means that many of the effects on the M13 are of a higher quality than the X3 Live.

That's what I've read anyway.
Thanks! That's good to hear, since I went with the m13, now I just need to find a cheap replacement power supply for it to work here.
__________________

vanquish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:10 AM   #23
Babyface
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2
Local Time: 03:11 PM
by the way, line 6 released 2 firmware upgrades for the m13 (available at line 6 website). The version 2 adds 20 or more new effects to the m13, including the pitch glide (whammy) which comes handy to play even better than the real thing, and several types of wah. Basically the m13 has pretty much all the effects needed to play u2. Since the whammy and wah are the nicest new feautres you might consider adding an expression pedal so you can fully manipulate the effects (ie. the ex-1 pedal).
edgedaclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:37 AM   #24
The Fly
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 62
Local Time: 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgedaclone View Post
by the way, line 6 released 2 firmware upgrades for the m13 (available at line 6 website). The version 2 adds 20 or more new effects to the m13, including the pitch glide (whammy) which comes handy to play even better than the real thing, and several types of wah. Basically the m13 has pretty much all the effects needed to play u2. Since the whammy and wah are the nicest new feautres you might consider adding an expression pedal so you can fully manipulate the effects (ie. the ex-1 pedal).
Thanks, do you know if the M13's come with the latest firmware installed? Or do u have to upgrade it manually. That's apparently a painful process using multiple MIDI cables, which i have none.

Yea, i'll definitely be getting an expression pedal later, especially seeing as the explorer has no tremolo bar

Is the M13 the first real 'Edge in a box' FX unit? It does seem very versatile and not just for U2, I was watching someone play the intro to Lovers in Japan on it, I never thought that was guitar, always seemd like Eno's synthwork to me
vanquish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:14 PM   #25
Babyface
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3
Local Time: 08:11 PM
Newbie needs gear

I got a great set up for you can't buy an amp. I use a program called guitar rig 3. It absolutely nails the vox ac30 sound. I've tried several other software programs but gr3 is the best. It has several different amp models but it nails the ac30 sound perfectly. I can't get a real ac30 because of apartment living but this with this program I can play through my headphones and still get perfect sound quality. Here's my set up. Line 6 m13 into a Presonus tube preamp. I use ableton live 8 to record and through that program I use amplitube 2,gtr waves and guitar rig 3. For drums I use drumcore. I monitor through a set of Sennheiser headphones(about $84 at guitar center) into a livewire headphone amp. My audio interface is a M-Audio Delta 66 break out box. I just run a tsr 1/4" cable into the headphone amp from the breakout box. With the M13 I just use the "on the edge" scene and run it with the U2 preset on guitar rig 3 and bam! Perfect edge tone.
This is a great set up if you can't play through a real amp. I've tried alot of different things make this work but this is perfect. Send me msg if you need any more help. good luck! Oh, I play three guitars. A Gibson Les Paul Studio,an American fender strat with custom EMG pickups,and a Martin Dc16 Aura
goku8586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:27 AM   #26
Babyface
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2
Local Time: 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanquish7 View Post
Thanks, do you know if the M13's come with the latest firmware installed? Or do u have to upgrade it manually. That's apparently a painful process using multiple MIDI cables, which i have none.

Yea, i'll definitely be getting an expression pedal later, especially seeing as the explorer has no tremolo bar

Is the M13 the first real 'Edge in a box' FX unit? It does seem very versatile and not just for U2, I was watching someone play the intro to Lovers in Japan on it, I never thought that was guitar, always seemd like Eno's synthwork to me
Hi,
I have yet to see an m13 with the new firmware out of the box, meaning you'll have to do it manually. It's not as hard as it looks. Just follow the directions and you're good to go.

Strictly speaking the m13 falls a bit short of being Edge in a box because it does not have amp modeler, so unless you have a vox ac30 or an amp modeler that emulates the ac30 you're just one piece short off the tone.

The m13 is very versatile. I play Marillion, Pink Floyd, some metallica and m13 has never let me down. I always get the tone I want.

hope it helps.
edgedaclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #27
Babyface
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3
Local Time: 08:11 PM
Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanquish7 View Post
I think I did something stupid.

I bought an M13 off eBay, got a good price but its coming from the US and i'm in Australia and I completely forgot about the whole power issue.

Does anyone know if the M13's come with adaptors?
I got a great set up for you can't buy an amp. I use a program called guitar rig 3. It absolutely nails the vox ac30 sound. I've tried several other software programs but gr3 is the best. It has several different amp models but it nails the ac30 sound perfectly. I can't get a real ac30 because of apartment living but this with this program I can play through my headphones and still get perfect sound quality. Here's my set up. Line 6 m13 into a Presonus tube preamp. I use ableton live 8 to record and through that program I use amplitube 2,gtr waves and guitar rig 3. For drums I use drumcore. I monitor through a set of Sennheiser headphones(about $84 at guitar center) into a livewire headphone amp. My audio interface is a M-Audio Delta 66 break out box. I just run a tsr 1/4" cable into the headphone amp from the breakout box. With the M13 I just use the "on the edge" scene and run it with the U2 preset on guitar rig 3 and bam! Perfect edge tone.
This is a great set up if you can't play through a real amp. I've tried alot of different things make this work but this is perfect. Send me msg if you need any more help. good luck! Oh, I play three guitars. A Gibson Les Paul Studio,an American fender strat with custom EMG pickups,and a Martin Dc16 Aura
goku8586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict
 
the tourist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,853
Local Time: 01:11 PM
Wow. First two posts are exactly identical.
the tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:24 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Edge_Orchestra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: * The Edge's Guitar Storage Room *
Posts: 8,569
Local Time: 08:11 PM
M13 isn't instant "EIAB" (Edge in a Box) but one can get a lot of Edge tones in one place for $500.00 (less on the second hand market).

I have seen video clips from members at U2 Recording Yahoo group that have been very convincing for a number of tones.

No it will not nail "Mysterious Ways". Seems the only unit that does that convincingly is the Korg A3 - same as what The Edge uses.

But the M13 is a great bang for the buck. And it gets a higher rating from me than that of the Boss / Digitech multi-effects pedal units.

In the end, you will have to use your guitar, your amp and trust your ears as to which unit works best for you.
Edge_Orchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:27 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Edge_Orchestra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: * The Edge's Guitar Storage Room *
Posts: 8,569
Local Time: 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Wow. First two posts are exactly identical.
Great minds think alike? Birds of a Feather flock together?
Edge_Orchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:50 AM   #31
The Fly
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 62
Local Time: 03:11 PM
Thanks for the great advice guys, I think the M13 is brilliant from all the U2 demo clips I've watched on youtube using it.

I got a Vox Pathfinder 15R as an amp, it's only a solid state but apparently it sounds much better than its price would suggest (and i'm only playing in my bedroom atm).

I'm a bit fazed by all the myriad options/controls on my amp and my guitar at the moment and all the combinations you can have (and this is even before you get to the M13!).
I was wondering whether to set the amp to output a clean tone and let the M13 handle the distortion etc. or the other way round (or a bit of both)?

I was also trying to play that intro to Lovers in Japan (as I think it is by far the most impressive sounding thing an absolute beginner can learn) but I don't know what tab to use as they all seem to contradict each other (these two tabs have three different variations of the opening chords 911Tabs.Com - External Link
911Tabs.Com - External Link

I'm completely hopeless at playing chords so I can't try them all out and see what sounds best either, anyone know which one of those sound the nearest to the YT clip I posted earlier? The settings used for the M13 are here:

The whole intro basically solely relies on Edge's 'shimmer' effect he invented back in the 80s.
vanquish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:38 PM   #32
Babyface
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: UK Midlands
Posts: 6
Local Time: 08:11 PM
Hello all
I have bought the VOX AC4 but it does not feel right at all, I also got the fender vibro champ XD all tube and this has a little noted setting (no 16) which when the bass is turned down and the treble maxed sounds really clean and with the M13 attached this does it for me. Unknown caller sounds identical and you seem to be able to get the overdriven sound even at 1 or 2 on the volume (the screamer on the M13 is very good too)
BungalowStadium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Edge_Orchestra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: * The Edge's Guitar Storage Room *
Posts: 8,569
Local Time: 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanquish7 View Post
Thanks for the great advice guys, I think the M13 is brilliant from all the U2 demo clips I've watched on youtube using it.

I got a Vox Pathfinder 15R as an amp, it's only a solid state but apparently it sounds much better than its price would suggest (and i'm only playing in my bedroom atm).

I'm a bit fazed by all the myriad options/controls on my amp and my guitar at the moment and all the combinations you can have (and this is even before you get to the M13!).
I was wondering whether to set the amp to output a clean tone and let the M13 handle the distortion etc. or the other way round (or a bit of both)?

I was also trying to play that intro to Lovers in Japan (as I think it is by far the most impressive sounding thing an absolute beginner can learn) but I don't know what tab to use as they all seem to contradict each other (these two tabs have three different variations of the opening chords 911Tabs.Com - External Link
911Tabs.Com - External Link

I'm completely hopeless at playing chords so I can't try them all out and see what sounds best either, anyone know which one of those sound the nearest to the YT clip I posted earlier? The settings used for the M13 are here:

The whole intro basically solely relies on Edge's 'shimmer' effect he invented back in the 80s.
...Shimmer effect he perfected in the `80's. I think it was Daniel Lanois and/or Eno that showed it to The Edge.
Edge_Orchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:58 PM   #34
The Fly
 
Vertigo Fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 262
Local Time: 08:11 PM
Anyone got the new Line 6 M9? I'm torn between that and the M13. Both seem pretty much identical except the M9 is smaller, and the M13 allows 4 pedals at once compared to the M9's 3. I've already got a Boss SD-1, Big Muff, Whammy and Wah pedal and considering the M9 to my board to go with them rather than make current pedals obsolete. Not sure if I'd need 4 pedals on the M13 much or is the M9 would be sufficient.
Vertigo Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:00 PM   #35
The Fly
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 62
Local Time: 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo Fly View Post
Anyone got the new Line 6 M9? I'm torn between that and the M13. Both seem pretty much identical except the M9 is smaller, and the M13 allows 4 pedals at once compared to the M9's 3. I've already got a Boss SD-1, Big Muff, Whammy and Wah pedal and considering the M9 to my board to go with them rather than make current pedals obsolete. Not sure if I'd need 4 pedals on the M13 much or is the M9 would be sufficient.
Well if you want to use your existing pedals then you don't really need the extra effects unit of the M13 and the M9 will fit on your board better.

Other than the extra FX unit and more screens (which make it easier to use) the M13 is identical to the M9 so i'd just get whatever's cheaper
vanquish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:09 PM   #36
The Fly
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 62
Local Time: 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge_Orchestra View Post
...Shimmer effect he perfected in the `80's. I think it was Daniel Lanois and/or Eno that showed it to The Edge.
Apparently Edge and Eno invented it during the Unforgettable Fire sessions
U2’s The Edge Shimmer Effects : shanzuguitars.com

BTW anyone know which chords will get me that sound in the Lovers In Japan intro clip? And the settings for the intro (which I linked to earlier) are setup so the effects path is going from right to left, not thr M13's default left to right
__________________

vanquish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Commencement Speeches 2006 MrsSpringsteen Free Your Mind Archive 35 06-05-2006 08:48 AM
Did the US Supply Weapons to Iraq? Dreadsox Free Your Mind Archive 49 01-15-2004 12:00 PM
My band to go on tour soon - advice on equipment Ender Even Better Than The Real Thing ?? 3 12-09-2003 04:16 PM
Pentagon sells B-Weapon equipment to whomever wants them Klaus Free Your Mind Archive 0 10-08-2003 07:23 AM
mp3 newbie needs your advice drivemytrabant Music on the Internet 10 09-05-2002 12:32 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×