Les Paul passed away at 94. Influence on U2? Certainly.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Mildly off but on topic.

Les Paul - as in the man that designed the world famous Les Paul guitar, that The Edge uses in various forms, has passed away at the age of 94.

Les-Paul-1915-2009.jpg

The Edge got his 1975 Les Paul Custom in 1982 - wanting one that looked and sounded like that of Steve Jones of The Sex Pistols.

No Les Paul? No Les Paul guitars. No Les Paul? No multi-track recording - which he pioneered. No Les Paul? No overdubbed recordings - which he pioneered.

And it was those recording techniques that were created by Les Paul that were experimented with and taken to the next level by U2 and their producers over the years (Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois, Flood, Steve Lillywhite...) that allowed for the advances in their sound on record.

That alone shows the breadth of influence of Les Paul. Not just the pop music that he and Mary Ford made together but all forms of popular music from The Beatles to Led Zeppelin to The Clash to The Sex Pisols to yes... U2 have used Les Paul model guitars of some form.

Les Paul Custom (1975 model)
popedge-1.jpg

30th Anniversary Les Paul (1982 model)
LPGoldtop-Elevation-1.jpg

When it came time to develope a guitar to earn money for musicians that lost their instruments in Hurricane Katrina, it was to the Les Paul model that Gibson, Bob Ezrin and The Edge looked to; developing the mardi gras finish Les Paul Standard Music Rising and the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Music Rising in black (w/Music Rising logo).

558e50f0.jpg

Epi-2006-MusicRising-LP-VertigoTour.jpg

In fact, even U2 bassist Adam Clayton is using TWO bass guitars that are of Les Paul design!

The gold Les Paul signature (used for Mysterious Way during U2:360 shows)

Gib-LP_sig_bass_Myst_Ways-1.jpg

...and the Gibson Triumph (Les Paul Recording Bass) that was used on many thing in the studio in the past ("One" and "A Man And A Woman" quickly come to mind) as will as U2:360 tour performances of "One".

Gibson-Triumph-Recording_Bass-19-2.jpg

Les Paul, his music, his wit, his vision of music will be sadly missed.

I was really saddened to read this today :sad: But, as was 94, life well spent! :up: Hasn't he still been playing guitar in clubs and such up until now?

Here you go. The interview is the only part of this piece I shot. We did it at the Iridium, but we couldn't shoot it in the main lounge because they were setting it up for the night, so we had to make do in this tiny closet area with a the couch and mirrors, which is a visual nightmare. It is what it is. He was a very nice guy though.

NY1 | 24 Hour Local News | Top Stories | One On 1: Guitarist Les Paul On 80 Years Of Making Music

Thanks for posting the link. Very much appreciated. A great story on a legendary man.

I remember him saying that guitar players "should play everything as fast and as loud as they are able to", which I thought was hilarious coming from such an old guy. But even with his arthritic hands which forced him to only use 2 fretting fingers he could zip around the fretboard.

Was he actively involved in the development of the Gibson Les Paul or was that guitar just named after him ?

He was actively involved in the design of the Les Paul, yes.

Also something I read:

And U2's axeman the Edge said: "Les Paul disproves the cliché that you can only be famous for one thing. His legacy as a musician and inventor will live on and his influence on rock 'n' roll will never be forgotten."

Back
Top Bottom