how does edge get so many drive tones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hithere

Babyface
hey guys I just got rid of my twin reverb because I hate the millions of drive pedals that are out there. It is so overwhelming but I like a lot of different tones and it honestly seems edge is the only guy out there who gets so many different drive tones.

I was thinking of an ac-30, but still it's a one channel thing where I can only choose to run it clean, or broken up.

hey guys I just got rid of my twin reverb because I hate the millions of drive pedals that are out there. It is so overwhelming but I like a lot of different tones and it honestly seems edge is the only guy out there who gets so many different drive tones.

I was thinking of an ac-30, but still it's a one channel thing where I can only choose to run it clean, or broken up.

He's many drive tones due to a combination of amps and effects.

VERTIGO TOUR AMPS:
Per Guitar World: 2005 & TOTAL GUITAR Nov 2005

FENDER - DELUXE TWEED - 1956 - w/vintage Vox 12-inch speaker
FENDER - DELUXE TWEED - 1958 - w/ original Jensen Alnico 12-inch speaker
(Customized) FENDER - BLUES JUNIOR - Xxxx - (This amp was used primarily for the shimmer tones.)VOX - AC30TB - 1962
VOX - AC30TB - 1964 (# 1/ main)
VOX - AC30TB - early 1970's(w/ vintage Jensen Bulldog speakers
(Custom) VOX Head with 2 X 12 cabinet

The amps have different settings, some for more 'crunch'/drive than others.

He also has many boosts, overdrives and distortions.

Ampeg Scrambler (used on the Elevation tour and early in Vertigo tour, later replaced by Durham "Sex Drive")
Boss FA-1 pre-amp / booster
Boss PW-2 Power Driver
Durham "Sex Drive"
Electro-Harmonix "Big Muff"
Ibanez TS-9 Tube-Screamer
Sobbat DB-1 Drivebreaker
Line 6 DM4 Pro (Rack version of the Line 6 DM4 pedal - custom-made only for The Edge)
Skyrdstrup Bufferrooster - boost

i was gonna

guess it was that huge combo. The thing that is so crazy about edge is setup is pretty much impossible to match. Anyone who isn't the edge and is carrying that stuff around is just impractical.

I am thinking of going back to my twin with drive pedals, but then it's back to the age old is pedal drive worse than amp drive argument. Just can't have it all.

guess it was that huge combo. The thing that is so crazy about edge is setup is pretty much impossible to match. Anyone who isn't the edge and is carrying that stuff around is just impractical.

I am thinking of going back to my twin with drive pedals, but then it's back to the age old is pedal drive worse than amp drive argument. Just can't have it all.

Hahaha... it can be tough but there are many U2 Tribute band "Edge's" that effectively recreate "Edge-tones" (tm) with gear Edge uses and other items that Edge doesn't.

One such piece of gear is the Fractal Audio Axe-FX. Those who have one have said it is 95% of Edge tones-in-a-box. It's a pricey unit but cheaper than buying many units that Edge uses.

I've also seen one former tribute band where the girl got many early U2 guitar tones with minimal gear.

Now that might not work for The Unforgettable Fire to present... more use of reverb, digital delay, multiple delays, GIGANTO rack and "shimmer" effect but you can get close and not have to own ALL that Edge uses.

Can I also suggest that if you want a Edge in a box type approach then have a good look at the Vox Tonelab LE and Line 6 Pod XT Live. I don't have either of them but from what I gather from other Edge wannabe's either of these two boxes will get you at least 90% of the way there.

Can I also suggest that if you want a Edge in a box type approach then have a good look at the Vox Tonelab LE and Line 6 Pod XT Live. I don't have either of them but from what I gather from other Edge wannabe's either of these two boxes will get you at least 90% of the way there.

The Line 6 M13 is getting pretty great praise as lots of "Edge-tone" for $500.00. Something to check out.

He also has many boosts, overdrives and distortions.

Ampeg Scrambler (used on the Elevation tour and early in Vertigo tour, later replaced by Durham "Sex Drive")
Boss FA-1 pre-amp / booster
Boss PW-2 Power Driver
Durham "Sex Drive"
Electro-Harmonix "Big Muff"
Ibanez TS-9 Tube-Screamer
Sobbat DB-1 Drivebreaker
Line 6 DM4 Pro (Rack version of the Line 6 DM4 pedal - custom-made only for The Edge)
Skyrdstrup Bufferrooster - boost

Why does Edge have so many boosts and overdrives?:huh:

I have a Digitech RP-250 and I am ecstatic about it.

I used to just use my Vox Valvetronix's AC-30 and the delay on it together and got a perfect Edge tone for WTSHNN and "Bad".

But I bought the RP-250 and it has everything and more I think. But it doesn't work on my Vox amp so I have to use a Peavey (so I took the logo off the amp so I don't look like a doof using it in public :D )

But the RP really sounds good- But you really need to tweak the F*&# out of it to get it to sound great. I have tones like Edge's shimmer on WOWY and COBL, and effect he uses on the into on the Vertigo Tour before COBL, Elevation with the intro and all, SYCMIOYO, One, The Fly, I had Mysterious Ways on my old one before I accidentally plugged it in with my computer cable of the same size and fried it, All the early tones, Even Better than the real thing, and my favorite for soloing- The Elevation Tour version of Bullet the Blue Sky.

I also can sounds like Peter Frampton, Pete Townsend, Hendrix, Jimmy Page- The list goes on!

But the default patches that come with the box are awful. I had to make all the patches myself and it took about half an hour+ of solid tweaking on each to get them- But I think it's worth it- They sound great. Only $150

But the Vox still sounds better when I want to play WTSHNN though.....

i used an rp-250 for a long time, the tones you can get out of it aren't half bad. but for $50 more i picked up a Pod XT Live, and i can't see myself using anything else. a ton of amps, drive pedals, effects, and delays. hook it up to a computer and you can set all the effects with a few clicks of a mouse, and every patch has a visual EQ which you can use to shape your tone. i might add another delay pedal to my chain, but tone and drive wise the XT Live is excellent.

Back
Top Bottom