Songs of Surrender - New album discussion - 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are going to light that sphere up like a mirror-ball on the outside during the shows, right? I mean, missed opportunity if not.

Surely that means a Spring 2023 release for the album, with a single in the New Year?

When is Songs of Surrender due out? Seems like there could be an awful lot going-on in a short space of time?

SoS is out Nov 18 I think

The rumor is March for the next album..

How would that all play out?

Oct - SoS Single
Nov 18 - SoS Album
Dec-Jan: all quiet
Feb: Surprise Single from surprise new album?

Oct - SoS Single
Nov 18 - SoS Album

unity-one.gif

Oct - SoS Single
Nov 18 - SoS Album

Timeline wise, that all sounds about right. It follows the same release pattern as NLOTH, albeit shifted back a month.

I think there's also a possibility we might hear new material this year, albeit as live performances:

They might do some promo performances for SoS, where they also play a new song or two (as they did with 'Little Things' during the JT30 tour and promo). Presumably it would be a good marketing opportunity - play the classics in a new, reimagined fashion, then sneak new material in to build hype for the next album?

This also gives them the opportunity to do away with any accusations that they're a dinosaur act purely dependant on their back catalogue (which I suspect was the reason for playing 'Little Things' during the JT30 tour).

Only reason they might not do this is it could make both new albums complete against/distract from each other, so maybe they'd prefer a clean end to SoS before moving onto the next album. But I think there's a decent chance they might play at least one new song whilst promoting SoS.

If the Europe Stadium Tour starts next Summer, do you really think they'd release the album after the tour though? I know U2Songs has been talking about early 2023.

And PS. Boo I like Arena tours better, lol.

I didnt word that well.. I meant the latter part of our next winter, as in Feb or march 2023.

They might do some promo performances for SoS, where they also play a new song or two (as they did with 'Little Things' during the JT30 tour and promo). Presumably it would be a good marketing opportunity - play the classics in a new, reimagined fashion, then sneak new material in to build hype for the next album?

I’d prefer not, if it means skipping the best song on the album during the tour FOR THE ALBUM.

Why not release the JT30 film Heartland as part of promotion?? I know, wishful thinking again....

Not a lot of new news but some additional detail on things previously reported:

https://www.u2songs.com/news/an_alb...cTR4B6cnXUOiH7SdMROkq3q7v8z2X1g7MjQ&fs=e&s=cl

They seem confident that it’s done and coming out. After Pop they wouldn’t be booking stadiums without an album in the can.

Given the short gap between 18 Nov and March I think this means either very little/no live promotion of SOS, or a new album announcement fast off the back of it to leverage the nostalgia accompanied by a single that can tap into that feeling.

Not a lot of new news but some additional detail on things previously reported:

https://www.u2songs.com/news/an_alb...cTR4B6cnXUOiH7SdMROkq3q7v8z2X1g7MjQ&fs=e&s=cl

They seem confident that it’s done and coming out. After Pop they wouldn’t be booking stadiums without an album in the can.

Given the short gap between 18 Nov and March I think this means either very little/no live promotion of SOS, or a new album announcement fast off the back of it to leverage the nostalgia accompanied by a single that can tap into that feeling.

I think this also confirms Registered Dude's theory:
"Finally we had been told that much of the work on the new album was pretty much complete back in April of this year, and that the band had spent some time in Ryan Tedder’s West Hollywood studio working on the album"

I guess that confirms Ryan Tedder is the producer (or at least one of several, knowing this band).

Also, apparently SoS will be announced in the next couple of weeks! SoE was released in December and had a lead single in early September, though the Blackout video was end of August.

So with SoS out in November, maybe we'll get that Streets remix in August, if the timeline is similar? Would make sense to include a single around the time of announcement...

Id say that’s the only reason we don’t have an announcement - they sent streets to djs for remixes about 2-3 weeks ago. They probs want a few queued up for a digital single to boost streams/access to different formats for radio play.

Finger in the air - 12 august for a single and announcement, then three non-single tracks released in sept, oct and early Nov to build some hype

Yeah, there’s going to be a lot of pressure on Songs of Surrender not to be shit, or at least be low key enough not to take away from the limelight and fanfare of a proper new album release and tour.

Yeah, there’s going to be a lot of pressure on Songs of Surrender not to be shit, or at least be low key enough not to take away from the limelight and fanfare of a proper new album release and tour.

SoS is as low stakes as it gets. It’s a book sync, nothing more.

I haven’t had a U2.com subscription in years. Is now the time to re-up for upcoming tour pre sales or wait til January?

Last edited:
I haven’t had a U2.com subscription in years. Is now the time to re-up for upcoming tour pre sales or wait til January?

Re-up now before the cutoff point hits, since they don’t give a shit about actual continuous membership/seniority

The cutoff won't happen until stuff gets officially announced. We'll have quite the lead time here over the general public who don't follow every bit of news.

If you re-up before SOS comes out you're probably fine.

didn't they actually give those who had seniority a slight advantage on 360, or did i just pull that out of my ass? i want to say there was, like, 3 levels of pre-sale at some point.

That was the first and last time they had three levels (Horizon, Breathe, Boots). Should’ve never been dropped. Now I think they just they do the folks who were active before the announcement and folks who renew after. On JT30 they added a presale package option to buy a membership + tickets at the same time.

They’ve got the data. As the band gets older and winds down their touring, it’s only going to be a tougher ticket.

Back
Top Bottom