Some personal thoughts on No Line On The Horizon, 6 months after release

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NLOTH 2 First Single?

I definitely don’t think they should have released MoS as the first single. Maybe Magnificent, but to be honest, I don’t think there’s any potentially earthshaking single on there, and I think U2 are probably beyond having them, to be honest.

What I do think they should have done is let MoS ‘leak’ out there as the first song to be heard from the new album, before Boots, but with no hype at all. It wouldn’t be something that’s going to get picked up by radio as BIG NEW U2 SINGLE! but something that’s going to get passed around and talked about all over music forums and blogs the world over. That would have gotten them a far, far better initial reaction from a more… shall we say… discerning music buyer.

I don’t mean that a cool/hipster/whatever crowd is important, I just mean the first wider buzz would have been very different. I think if MoS were the first thing to be heard, it would have given pause to the haters, whereas Boots was a quick one to shoot down as more of the same Bomb-esque stuff. Reading around the internets when it came out, it was immediately clear it was a tanker, and that does set up the album for a fall. MoS would have been undeniable as at least, if not considered great by absolutely everyone, a sign that deeper, more interesting things were coming from Camp U2.

I really like this reasoning alot! U2 definitely needed to do something that was more in "keeping with the times" in terms of releasing music and catching peoples attention. I could not agree more on your choice of Moment of Surrender for this "accidental on purpose leak."

Count me among those who are shocked that Magnificent did not take off, maybe it was just too "U2" which is not a problem in a different context than the run up to NLOTH. Let me explain- ATYCLB and Bomb were kind of expected to be the straightforward, return to U2 by numbers that we were used to. Bono, Edge, Larry, Adam, Eno and Lanois ALL talked this album up as a major departure, of the order from JT>AB, blah blah blah, as we know.

Maybe when the album dropped, radio said Boots, Magnificent, well that's Vertigo and Pride updated, wtf is with that? Simplistic view, but probably not far from their thinking. After what they had heard hyped, they did not take too well to Boots or Magnificent.

So this just popped into my head a couple of days ago: What if U2 had released NLOTH 2 as the first single? Unlike the album version, which builds for a bit, brings the intensity level up and down and takes some getting used to, it catches you immediately and blasts all the way through. Along the way, there are ace performances turned in from Larry and especially Adam.

It is catchy, but not in the way that U2 standards like BD and Vertigo are catchy. It clearly says "we are changing directions" and it has a modern sound. There are some things I would change- I would definitely include "time is irrelevant, its not linear in there," but overall, there is not even a hint of the cheesy lyrics that are present in Boots.

Catchy, clear signal of a departure, good lyrics, strong guitar and bass performances, great drumming and to top it all off its the title track. "No Line on the Horizon" screamed over and over would have ensured no one forgot the name of the first single or the album!

Don't get me wrong, I think the album version is better overall, but it takes a while to grow on you. I don't know how you could release a non album track as the first single, so you would have to find a place for NLOTH 2 on the album. Maybe between Breathe and Cedars? UC and CT? I think the intro would sound great after the UC ending solo!

I think this, combined with Earnie Shavers' MOS suggestion, would have had a better chance at promoting and selling NLOTH than Boots or Magnificent did.

When Boots came out on single (NLOTH2 b-side) A lot of people said NLOTH2 would have been a much better single, Boots should have been the b-side and should never have made the album. I have to say I love both versions of NLOTH.

Actually here six months after, some of the songs have really grown on me. Especially Unknown Caller which I thought had a pretty strange chord sequence, and I didn't like the "shout" parts. But now (and especially after hearing the song live) I really like the track, and it's actually gone on to become one of my favorite songs from the album. Also Moment Of Surrender, which I thought was great from the very start, has evolved and flourished and is now one of my absolute favorite U2 songs. So I've really come to love the album more and more over the past six months, and realizing that's it's actually greater than I thought it was, to begin with. So thumbs up :up:

Count me among those who are shocked that Magnificent did not take off

Why? It was an almost by the numbers disco song with drab lyrics and a forgettable chorus. All they really needed to do to make it take off was replace Bono with Donna Summer.

Why? It was an almost by the numbers disco song with drab lyrics and a forgettable chorus. All they really needed to do to make it take off was replace Bono with Donna Summer.

Why?

This song, better than almost anything since NYD, Pride and IGC combines soaring Bono vocals, Edge's signature, cascading guitar backed up by amazing performances from Larry and Adam.

Its U2 by numbers in the best possible way, not the ATYCLB way. It has a modern sound. Should have been a major hit.

Seriously, forget everything else and listen to the rhythm section, you would think you were listening to something from the War sessions! It combines the best elements of War, UF,JT and 90's U2!

Maybe it has a little bit of a disco vibe to it, but it is a rock song all the way- drums, bass, guitar, vocals.

I like disco, my dad used to own one, I know a good amount about Donna Summer and her ilk. More than any 22 yr old male should know, lol. Magnificent is not Donna Summer.

NLOTH is a stunning album...it's getting better with age too...I wasn't a massive fan of MOS to begin with but now love it...it's my girlfriend's favourite song too, she's not a particularly big U2 fan...prefers the "old stuff" but loves both MOS and Magnificent and tells me UC has grown on her as well as Crazy...she hasn't really heard all the album. Just shows you the album can break down the barriers put up by people who think only their "old stuff" is great.
Anyway...shame the album as a whole wasn't a bigger hit...I know it's sold a stunning amount of copies in this current economic/illegal downloads climate but I wish the radio had picked up more on the tracks...real shame...I think a lot of people are missing out on some of U2's best work

Why?

This song, better than almost anything since NYD, Pride and IGC combines soaring Bono vocals, Edge's signature, cascading guitar backed up by amazing performances from Larry and Adam.

Its U2 by numbers in the best possible way, not the ATYCLB way. It has a modern sound. Should have been a major hit.

Seriously, forget everything else and listen to the rhythm section, you would think you were listening to something from the War sessions! It combines the best elements of War, UF,JT and 90's U2!

Maybe it has a little bit of a disco vibe to it, but it is a rock song all the way- drums, bass, guitar, vocals.

I like disco, my dad used to own one, I know a good amount about Donna Summer and her ilk. More than any 22 yr old male should know, lol. Magnificent is not Donna Summer.

Completely agree. I thought this was a sure-fire hit--it has the same type of chorus catchiness as Pride, as well as a similarly unforgettable (and repetitive) echoing guitar riff.

Regardless, I still feel this is an instant classic. Top 10 U2 song for me, easily.

NLOTH is a stunning album...it's getting better with age too...I wasn't a massive fan of MOS to begin with but now love it...it's my girlfriend's favourite song too, she's not a particularly big U2 fan...prefers the "old stuff" but loves both MOS and Magnificent and tells me UC has grown on her as well as Crazy...she hasn't really heard all the album. Just shows you the album can break down the barriers put up by people who think only their "old stuff" is great.
Anyway...shame the album as a whole wasn't a bigger hit...I know it's sold a stunning amount of copies in this current economic/illegal downloads climate but I wish the radio had picked up more on the tracks...real shame...I think a lot of people are missing out on some of U2's best work

:up:

i even like Stand Up now. this may be because i'm a guitar player though.

I second this post entirely. :up:

Completely agree. I thought this was a sure-fire hit

Not me. The second I heard it was the announced second single, I was like, "huh? Is the Universal marketing dept reading Interference or something?" Worst single choice that I can remember. Especially when you're trying to make up for lost ground when GYOB flopped (okay, GYOB was the worst single choice, Mag second). Should've been Crazy, SUC, Breathe or MOS. I would've put Mag as their ubiquitous 5th radio only promo single.

--it has the same type of chorus catchiness as Pride, as well as a similarly unforgettable (and repetitive) echoing guitar riff.

I don't get the catchy chorus. It's one word repeated. Reminds me of Miracle Drug. If you mean the "Only Love" part, yah, that bit's not too bad, but again, way to disco-y for me.

Regardless, I still feel this is an instant classic. Top 10 U2 song for me, easily.

That's good. Even when I don't agree, I'm glad to hear someone likes a given U2 song even if it's not my favorite.

Yeah, I was talking about the "Only Love" part. I think the word 'magnificent' is just a coda.

How is the chorus disco-y though? I'm not sure what that means. I still think Pride is the best other-song comparison to Magnificent. Similar effect in the chorus and guitar, and even the verses are similarly non-eventful, allowing for a big build-up.

Now that we know the song flopped, I'm happy to admit that I was wrong about the song's potential, even if it was probably predetermined by a severe paucity of promotion (whoa, alliteration). But another side of me still thinks this could and should have been a huge hit.

Yeah, I was talking about the "Only Love" part. I think the word 'magnificent' is just a coda.

How is the chorus disco-y though? I'm not sure what that means. I still think Pride is the best other-song comparison to Magnificent. Similar effect in the chorus and guitar, and even the verses are similarly non-eventful, allowing for a big build-up.

Now that we know the song flopped, I'm happy to admit that I was wrong about the song's potential, even if it was probably predetermined by a severe paucity of promotion (whoa, alliteration). But another side of me still thinks this could and should have been a huge hit.

i think it could have been a big hit too. i don't think the problem is with the song, i think the problem is with the year it was released. if this was released even back in 2004, i think it would have done well. but with all the shit new grunge out there and songs like "kiss me through the phone" dominating the charts, i just don't see where "magnificent" could have fit in.

with that said, Magnificent definitely ranks in my top 25, maybe higher.

Well, I enjoy the album as a whole still; some tracks, I tend to skip. As much as most people like them, I am not a huge fan of Moment of Surrender, Unknown Caller, White As Snow and Cedars Of Lebanon.

I consider No Line On The Horizon, Magnificent and Stand Up Comedy as my favorite tracks on the album, and in that order and they are up there on my favorite U2 tracks of all time. Breathe holds a 'great' mark and would be up in the four spot.

I absolutely despise Get On Your Boots in terms of the studio version; I absolutely love it live since it has a different type of energy. Not to mention the intro is much better live. If they toyed with the lyrics (they suck IMO) a little bit more, it wouldn't have flopped.

Fez-Being Born is really good as well as I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight. While I like Fez-Being Born, I just don't think it really fit on this album. Get On Your Boots was supposed to be the transition song between the "two-halves" of the album.

So the final rankings?:
1) No Line On The Horizon
2) Magnificent
3) Stand Up Comedy (I don't care what anyone says)
4) Breathe
5) I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
6) Fez-Being Born
7) Unknown Caller
8) Moment Of Surrender
9) Cedars Of Lebanon
10) White As Snow
11) Get On Your Boots

I think I know a bit about the music industry, what I think is that NLOTH hasn't got a hit single in it because the radio media haven't supported it, they, as we have seen many times, can make a hit out of anything just by playing it repeatedly at prime times, and that's the real change with this album, why have they done it? I seriously think that it is because the band are near the 50s and they thought that supporting them would not increase their own number of listeners. I personally asked the main station in my area why they were not playing U2 and they answered me that they weren't interested in the
U2 audience, which is the reason I will never listen again to that station.

Universal has made a really poor publicity job and many djs are used to get paid for supporting one or other artist, nobody does it for free these days, maybe they thought U2 were popular enough, so they could save that money, I know not paying djs is an honest decision, but it's also a wrong decision if you want to have a hit.

As for the album, I think the album is fantastic, one of their best, with so many ingredients that I can understand why some fans only like a part of it, this is their best album (absolute best I mean) in the sense of cohesion too, and then there are the individual songs, some of which can be up there with their classics, only it depends on your personal taste if you choose one or another, but there are many, many really good songs and any of them could have made a hit single, there are a pair of songs that are only ok songs, but I don't think they are substandard as some people here tend to say (U2 by the numbers, can you even write a song?)

I personally asked the main station in my area why they were not playing U2 and they answered me that they weren't interested in the
U2 audience, which is the reason I will never listen again to that station.

Universal has made a really poor publicity job and many djs are used to get paid for supporting one or other artist, nobody does it for free these days, maybe they thought U2 were popular enough, so they could save that money, I know not paying djs is an honest decision, but it's also a wrong decision if you want to have a hit.

you may have some understanding of the music business - i wouldn't know - but you don't have much understanding of the commercial radio market.

you may have some understanding of the music business - i wouldn't know - but you don't have much understanding of the commercial radio market.

Really? what's your view on the subject? I'm just talking about what I know from the inside, but maybe it's only here where I live, I can tell you I haven't invented anything, why should I?

Isn't that the problem with NLOTH? There is NO good first single. Hey, I love this album front to back, but unfortunately today you need a big, radio-friendly lead single to make your album sell and be seen by 90% of the mindless masses as a "good album". NLOTH doesn't have any good radio single on it. Maybe the closest is Crazy Tonight, but even that one I don't think would have been a good lead single. A band this age needs something with a punch a la Vertigo, Beautiful Day.

I think HTDAAB was U2's worst album by far, but look what a radio-friendly lead single did for that album. Most casual radio listeners don't know anything else off that record. But they know Vertigo, and that was enough to make the album sell and be seen by the masses as a good one.

It sucks, but that seems to be the way it works.

i like this point. nothing stuck.

Back
Top Bottom