NLOTH FLAC torrent at 96000Hz and -10db...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rastat

Acrobat
Does anybody know where this comes from? It's all over the torrent sites and it's like 631Mb.

It has a wider dynamic range (-10db, the regular cd release being -7db), it's less compressed and "breathes" a lot more, and there's a clear difference with the response of the higher frequences, you can hear cymbals and tambourine with a higher definition, and the bass is less muddy. Big difference here...

So, is it an audiophile release (from the band, maybe) with a different kind of mastering? I can't listen to the regular release now... :(

Is it so different with the classic CD versions ???
I had the MP3 versions and I ripped the original CD. This last is better!
Maybe the flac version is higher ?

Well, cds have a sampling rate of 44100Hz and this has 96000Hz, so it's a higher resolution, and it seems it has a wider dynamic range (NLOTH has -7db and this has -10db).

That's why I ask where this comes from, as it's a different source, definitely NOT the cd release.

It's been put up on demonoid because there has been a dispute about the first FLAC rips being lossy. Some are saying that the band actually mastered the CD on two tracks from lossy sources!!!!!! Track 1 and track 9 I believe.

I actually cannot believe that they would do this.

The higher quality FLAC that you speak of is still from the retail CD but just ripped differently (using EAC). As you know you can never improve on the source, which is the CD.

^ Mate the whole exercise is a pointless one and just driven by people who want a better ratio on private trackers.

You simply cannot improve on the CD, if people want to encode it in a file size that is 100GB it won't make it sound any better. The original FLAC rip of around 300Mb is as good as you will ever get. That is until the band start to do 5.1 or DVD Audio, which is probably never.

Enjoy whatcha got, it's as good as it gets...

There was a torrent of Metallica's Death Magnetic doing the rounds that was sourced from the Guitar Hero 3 game. It sounded way better than the CD release. It had no clipping. Wonder if this U2 torrent is the same?

Could it be the vinyl version perhaps?

I understand that a link to the torrent can't be posted here. Can anyone say though what to search for in looking for it? I'd guess that most searches would throw up the normal version of NLOTH.

Well, in a digital medium it's all about resolution and sample rate, basically...

But the cd is just a physical support and has its limitations: 16 bit and 44.100Hz.
These files are 16 bit and 96.000Hz, a better quality than cd has.

And apparently these files are not the same than the cd has, as the waveforms are different. I'll see if I can post some jpg when I arrive at home in a few hours... :)

Ok, the only way these files can sound better than the CD is that they were ripped from vinyl and have less clipping, which they weren't according to the nfo. Or that the ripper got access to the master tapes directly from the studio. :huh:

Yep, it's all just weird... :p

It's just the waveform is not like the regular cds releases these days, it's not clipped at all and far from pushing the db limits. AND it just is NOT the same waveform with the volume drecreased, it has natural peaks and doesn't seem clipped at all...

Just listening to Fez right now....... this is a SHOCKING upgrade in sound!!!!

I've been wondering lately; is there a way to put Flacs on CD? Can we make a better CD than the store-bought one this way?

Just listening to Fez right now....... this is a SHOCKING upgrade in sound!!!!

I've been wondering lately; is there a way to put Flacs on CD? Can we make a better CD than the store-bought one this way?

Convert them to 44.1khz wav files and then burn those wav files. Plenty of software can do the conversion.

Ok, I don't have the cd here but I can compare it to the filtered mp3 that suits today's standard mastering choices, and there's a difference... here it is...

(Here I'm talking about volume levels and dynamic range, NOT audio quality)

358d9a60046ca66b611750c09b00dcb7_raw.jpg

Please, can you send me link to torrent file? I haven't a demonoid account, but if anyone has a link to the torrent from another site..

Wow.........This is the definition by excellence of a Placebo effect. They guy was just trying to rip his CD at the best possible quality because there is some discussion on Demonoid that on all of the three lossless rips that were there, No Line On The Horizon and White And Snow appear to be lossy according to audiochecker (also, audiochecker can sometimes be wrong, according to the software developer). Then the guy went and do this rip which in my opinion, it is overkill. You simply cannot improve a digital source by encoding at a higher quality than the original.

This entire thread is total waste IMO, no disrespect to the original poster, but we are now getting inundated with misinformation.

The source for these files is the CD, we are going to be a laughing stock if we continue with this. You cannot improve on the original.

Niceman, are you comparing these FLACS with mp3s, or the original CD?

Rastat, what are you trying to prove by comparing a lossy source with these FLACS from the CD? I don't understand? :huh:

The original leaked 256kbps MP3's were transcodes IIRC... The latest files from iTunes(!) (AAC) and FLACS (300MBish 1:1 CD copy) will sound much richer than these.

Please stop the madness before we get 300 posts comprising of emails asking for the torrent file.

This entire thread is total waste IMO, no disrespect to the original poster, but we are now getting inundated with misinformation.

The source for these files is the CD, we are going to be a laughing stock if we continue with this. You cannot improve on the original.

Niceman, are you comparing these FLACS with mp3s, or the original CD?

Rastat, what are you trying to prove by comparing a lossy source with these FLACS from the CD? I don't understand? :huh:

The original leaked 256kbps MP3's were transcodes IIRC... The latest files from iTunes(!) (AAC) and FLACS (300MBish 1:1 CD copy) will sound much richer than these.

Please stop the madness before we get 300 posts comprising of emails asking for the torrent file.

Agree,this will just lead to another request thread, which is useless because it can't be better than the CD. Pointless thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom