BREATHE Appreciation - Discuss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got the entire album today.... don't ask how. Finally they let the Edge go lose.
On Breathe.... an out of this world guitar solo. As far as the rest of the album.
For a Band who has been around for 30 years this new sound ... sounds fresh but with the traditional sound of Edge's VOX. Most bands who have been around this long can;t come up with nothing new... the sound is new.
For the true U2 fans it will bring a smile to your face as it did for me.
The songs have dense layers to them. Bono .... his voice is back. This time they delivered the goods. I now I thank them..

Just FYI, we've had the album for almost a week now. :wink:

Yes for me this is certainly one of the top 3 songs on a very strong album....and its impressive that they placed it near the end of the record between 2 slower tracks it fits there well too :)

love this song and it was even better live - my only problem is with the album version - i really dont like how edge harmonizes with bono on the last BREEEEEEEATH in the chorus - it just sounds wrong to me and edge's backing vibrato just takes something away from Bono high pitched notes - dont know why they chose to leave that harmonizing in - what do u guys think about it?

hearing this song live just bumped this song way up for me. :drool:

Same!! :drool:

I've decided this has to be a single. It was amazing live and it has one of U2's best choruses, plus the song's got swagger and attitude. I feel like the mixture of badass verse + uplifting chorus should be an instant win situation.

Today, this is my favourite song.

Honestly I think you're reaching here,I could be wrong....I know what a Cockatoo is but in this reference I just think Bono means...."coming from a long line of traveling salesmen,I wasn't just going to buy anyone's BULLSHIT"

Cockatoo being slang here for bullshit

That could also be true, is cockatoo slang for BS.
I haven't heard it used that way before though.
This page of Australian idioms lists it as slang for a police lookout
The Australian Idiom

However there is research that shows pets can help people 'live a bit longer' Notice Bono's choice of words there as well, it supports the theory.
HowStuffWorks "Can owning a pet help you live longer?"

So does anyone else think the cockatoo line refers to the salesman peddling the bird as a live longer gimmick?

Same!! :drool:

I've decided this has to be a single. It was amazing live and it has one of U2's best choruses, plus the song's got swagger and attitude. I feel like the mixture of badass verse + uplifting chorus should be an instant win situation.

Today, this is my favourite song.

yes. on the ranking thread, Breathe literally went from #9 to #4 after the live performance.

the only songs i have ranked above it are FBB, Cedars, and UC.

I've always liked the way the anthemic chorus is juxtaposed with the rambling verses on Breathe, I don't see it as "U2 by the numbers" at all.

That could also be true, is cockatoo slang for BS.
I haven't heard it used that way before though.
This page of Australian idioms lists it as slang for a police lookout
The Australian Idiom

However there is research that shows pets can help people 'live a bit longer' Notice Bono's choice of words there as well, it supports the theory.
HowStuffWorks "Can owning a pet help you live longer?"

So does anyone else think the cockatoo line refers to the salesman peddling the bird as a live longer gimmick?

:applaud:

I'll speak from an Australian perspective and say no. Illogical as Bono likes to be sometimes I think it simply means somebody's puppet/bullshit.

Although maybe he does want to live longer and play into his century :hmm:

First time I heard it, I thought 'meh... NEXT'

Then I listened to what he was saying.

Absolutely AWESOME.

I got the entire album today.... don't ask how.

no_wai.jpg

seriously though... breathe has to be the next single.

I've always liked the way the anthemic chorus is juxtaposed with the rambling verses on Breathe, I don't see it as "U2 by the numbers" at all.

I think the anthemic/uplifting chorus could be construed as U2-by-numbers since that's pretty much what U2 are known for, but that's certainly not a bad thing! And the verses definitely give it a different feel.

maybe it's like the Monty Python sketch where he's trying to sell a dead cockatoo or maybe it was a parrot or a budgie? :D

Yeah the edge solo was great. This song is amazing and the chorus's lyrics are brilliant and so perfect.

Didn't really hit me till I saw it live...and I really wish I hadn't.

Now I can't stop listening to the damn thing.

So is June 16th in this song a reference to Bloomsday from Joyce's Ulysses? The day Joyce "walked out" with Nora and the day Ulysses took place?

I've really started to appreciate this song. It's catchy, it's heartbreakingly beautiful... I can't wait to hear it live.

Back
Top Bottom