Bono responsible for leaked songs / Interference made the news - ALL DISCUSSION HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've deliberately not listened to any beach clips. I don't have the faintest what the new songs sound like. Not even if someone who knew my email address sent me the beach clips, would I listen to the beach clips.

My existence is so much more peaceful this way! (I think?)

I've deliberately not listened to any beach clips. I don't have the faintest what the new songs sound like. Not even if someone who knew my email address sent me the beach clips, would I listen to the beach clips.

In the same boat, pal.

I think being able to sort of recognize the beach clips that make the new album is going to an awesome experience...that's one of the things I'm looking forward to when I get the album. :)'t

and the beach clip quality isn good enough where it would take any enjoyment out of polished studio quality songs...

Sorry, didn't read the last part of your sentence. I just figured it was more of the usual, uninformed "they're obviously tossing out the Rubin sessions because they were done a 'long' time ago" drivel. My apologies.

Your entire post is based on the assumption that the album is being delayed 2-3 months. Mine is not. If you look at it from my point of view instead of your own, I think it's pretty clear that mistakes could be repeated. And yes, I consider the track listing of HTDAAB a mistake. Not necessarily the mixes, but the track listing itself is a mess, and left many great songs on the cutting room floor. I'm just afraid that they'll forget some of the great material they wrote 6 months ago and get stuck on something they wrote at the last minute. I'm not bashing the band, I just want what any of us want...a great album.

That's fair enough. But you went from being overly optimistic to extremely pessimistic in a matter of one U2.com story. All the signs point to a February 2009 release as it is. I share your same concern. I do not think Mercy should have been cut from the last album. And I think they are probably taking their time with the track listing, flows, which fringe songs make it, etc. That's my personal belief because I do think that they have acknowledged that Atomic Bomb doesn't flow multiple times. I think that is a pretty good reason for a short delay in release, which is what Bono said on the U2.com article and Hot Press' inside informant for their article which said the target is February 2009. If it winds up being October 2009 when the album itself is released, then, yes, your concern may indeed be valid. As of right now, given the information directly from Bono and the bands website for the target date, I do not think that it is valid.

I think you need to be a little more optimistic like you were last week about the release date, but I understand the disappointment factor weighing you down thinking "well shit, it's gone from a long time to even longer, and they overcooked the last album, so they'll do the same old same old for this one." I just don't buy that they will, that's all.

Ditto...that's what I'm going to try to do this time around...don't want to know anything about the tour either i.e. setlists, etc. I want it to be a complete surprise. I believe the expression is "ignorance is bliss."

I kindof have to agree here...if this is truly going to be the masterpiece album, then it stands to reason that it will be the mother of all tours. Mind blowing. Reality bending. And all that good stuff :up:

The fact that you add "I Think" really shows that you have doubts.

So, why would listening to the clips make your existence less peacefull?

The fact that you add "I Think" really shows that you have doubts.

So, why would listening to the clips make your existence less peacefull?

No sure what he means by it either, but if I could interject for a minute and mention why I won't be listening to any beach clips or links.

The last time I heard a NEW U2 album without any prior leak of the material was POP. (Probably due inpart to the fact that I didn't really search the internet for info and material like I do know...because supposedly leaked clips were out there) But, can I tell you that I still remember the overwhleming feeling I had when I ran home with the CD in my hand and the resulting euphoria I had when listening to the music that was spewing from the speakers of my old crappy boombox that I had never heard before. It was just a fantastic experience. It was similar to when my ears first heard Zooropa or Achtung Baby.

I haven't had that feeling since then, and would love to have it again. I was weak and listened to the leaks from the last two albums and to be quite honest, it ruined the total experience. I never quite got what I thought I'd be getting from ATYCLB and HTDAAB based on those leaks.

Thats basically why I'M not listening...and maybe thats why alot of people aren't listening either.

No sure what he means by it either, but if I could interject for a minute and mention why I won't be listening to any beach clips or links.

The last time I heard a NEW U2 album without any prior leak of the material was POP. (Probably due inpart to the fact that I didn't really search the internet for info and material like I do know...because supposedly leaked clips were out there) But, can I tell you that I still remember the overwhleming feeling I had when I ran home with the CD in my hand and the resulting euphoria I had when listening to the music that was spewing from the speakers of my old crappy boombox that I had never heard before. It was just a fantastic experience. It was similar to when my ears first heard Zooropa or Achtung Baby.

I haven't had that feeling since then, and would love to have it again. I was weak and listened to the leaks from the last two albums and to be quite honest, it ruined the total experience. I never quite got what I thought I'd be getting from ATYCLB and HTDAAB based on those leaks.

Thats basically why I'M not listening...and maybe thats why alot of people aren't listening either.

Don't worry. From a listener of the leaks (which are almost full songs) you will be pleasantly surprised when you hear the album.

Clip 1 is a guaranteed U2 classic. Awesome chanting and "Ohhh's" with a killer guitar solo to end the song.

Clip 2 is an awesome rock song in the vein of HTDAAB's All because of you except 10 times better, (and I like ABOY). The hook of the song is really memorable. "Walk out into the streets with your heart out." Lots of attitude.

Clip 3 is like Vertigo/Fast Cars with an awesome groove bass/drums/guitar fast tempo that is addicting. See U2.com clips Green Tea except add more bass and guitar.

Clip 4 has a beautiful vocal and nice slide guitar solo. People seem to be drawn to clip 4 for those particular attributes.

Clip 5 is in worse sound quality and not a full song length. From what we can hear it's like some unfinished Beatles Beach Boys weirdness. Could be good, could be bad. Can't really tell. It grows on people with more listens but it is not as accessible as clips 1-4.

Clips 1-4 are really strong and most people are convinced they are finished or close to finished and will likely be on the album. If any clips on 1-4 did not make the album it would be a bigger disappointment than leaving Mercy off (which some people didn't think sounded finished).

People want this music.

I tried to listen the clips a few days ago but since I couldn't hear anything clearly other than the beach waves and talking, I turned it off about 10 seconds in. :shrug:

I tried to listen the clips a few days ago but since I couldn't hear anything clearly other than the beach waves and talking, I turned it off about 10 seconds in. :shrug:

You have to use headphones and turn it up. I'm used to the much worse clips from the studio entrance so ben's beach clips sound clear to me.:lol:

I think being able to sort of recognize the beach clips that make the new album is going to an awesome experience...that's one of the things I'm looking forward to when I get the album. :)'t

and the beach clip quality isn good enough where it would take any enjoyment out of polished studio quality songs...

True, I have heard part of it and you can hear the sea and people talking. The album will indeed, sound much better.

Don't worry. From a listener of the leaks (which are almost full songs) you will be pleasantly surprised when you hear the album.

Clip 1 is a guaranteed U2 classic. Awesome chanting and "Ohhh's" with a killer guitar solo to end the song.

Clip 2 is an awesome rock song in the vein of HTDAAB's All because of you except 10 times better, (and I like ABOY). The hook of the song is really memorable. "Walk out into the streets with your heart out." Lots of attitude.

Clip 3 is like Vertigo/Fast Cars with an awesome groove bass/drums/guitar fast tempo that is addicting. See U2.com clips Green Tea except add more bass and guitar.

Clip 4 has a beautiful vocal and nice slide guitar solo. People seem to be drawn to clip 4 for those particular attributes.

Clip 5 is in worse sound quality and not a full song length. From what we can hear it's like some unfinished Beatles Beach Boys weirdness. Could be good, could be bad. Can't really tell. It grows on people with more listens but it is not as accessible as clips 1-4.

Clips 1-4 are really strong and most people are convinced they are finished or close to finished and will likely be on the album. If any clips on 1-4 did not make the album it would be a bigger disappointment than leaving Mercy off (which some people didn't think sounded finished).

People want this music.

This makes me really wonder why the hell did they decided to post pone the release.

Thanks again for the description, you really have a knack for describing songs. :)

This makes me really wonder why the hell did they decided to post pone the release.

Thanks again for the description, you really have a knack for describing songs. :)

Yeah, it really is curious given that we have 4 must-include songs here and we very well may not have heard MOS or No Line on the Horizon or even Cedars of Lebanon. How many songs short can they really be?

Maybe this album will be the sum of JT + AB in terms of brilliance...and we'll get a masterpiece....but not just a masterpiece...arguably the greatest record in music history...one of the finest pieces of art EVER!!!!

I wasn't too keen on the leaks. Could have been the sound quality though. I especially didnt't like the Ohhhhs in clip one..it is a little annoying. I'm hoping the other songs are better.

I wasn't too keen on the leaks. Could have been the sound quality though. I especially didnt't like the Ohhhhs in clip one..it is a little annoying. I'm hoping the other songs are better.

yeah but pay attention to the second half of the song..something changes, and I really like it...it has a very happy vibe to it, but something interesting definitely happens about half way through clip 5. The whooooaaa ooooooohhh's or whatever in the first half get boring and feel trite...definitely not a change in sound in that regard :hmm:

U2 never released an album that appeased everyone. After Boy they made October and I am sure many felt it was too religious or whatever, or just not too New Wavish. Then they made WAR. It was probably too gritty for the new wave crowd. Then they made Unforgettable Fire. Then there were people that probably felt it was just too weird and not political enough, not like WAR. Then they made the Joshua Tree and people thought they sold out and went commercial. Then Rattle and Hum came out and people thought they were just assholes that thought they were too self important. Then Achtung Baby came out and people that thought they were too weird and sold out again. Then Zooropa came out and people that they were just insane. Then there was POP and people were just confused. Then All That You Cant Leave Behind Came out and people thought they were just repeating themselves and sold out for like the 3rd time. And yeah. You get the idea.

Maybe this album will be the sum of JT + AB in terms of brilliance...and we'll get a masterpiece....but not just a masterpiece...arguably the greatest record in music history...one of the finest pieces of art EVER!!!!

Thats why I think I'd wish they'd just put out the album and get on with it.

Because the longer we wait you get people (like myself) starting to let their expectations grow and float way up into the upper atmosphere of hope like a big balloon waiting to be popped by the impending dissapointment of a mediocre album.

I hate to say it, but I highly doubt that they'll be able to put out another album with that same gusto of JT or AB. I just don't think they have it in them....call me pesimistic if you'd like....but those are my thoughts on that subject.

as a fellow jaded u2 fan of 21 yrs I feel that the album will be a good one one way or another. I think it's silly to think that every new album could be the next JT or AB, it's ridiculous to even compare them but yet every 4 yrs we always seem to do just that.. I think we need to let go of that for once.. past is the past it's that simple. U2 are certainly not viewing it in those terms we are the only ones who are. Just my IMHO...

as a fellow jaded u2 fan of 21 yrs I feel that the album will be a good one one way or another. I think it's silly to think that every new album could be the next JT or AB, it's ridiculous to even compare them but yet every 4 yrs we always seem to do just that.. I think we need to let go of that for once.. past is the past it's that simple. U2 are certainly not viewing it in those terms we are the only ones who are. Just my IMHO...

I think some of us are getting our bloated expectations from the recent quotes and comments from interviews from the band and producers stating that the most recent work could be the best ever and all of that jazz.

Of course thats basically what they say each and every time, but there seems to be something different with the comments this time around. Not sure what it is, but there seems to be more people spewing the same glowing critiques about the music as opposed to just hearing the same overblown Bono B.S. that he blurts each time a new album is about to come out.

Well, its about time I let my ideas escape and run wild.

I think that after U2 complete their album and start their tour, they would have alot of supposed "amazing and innovative" songs so with them during a break after a leg of the tour they should make a release of a "small" album/EP of about 6-7 songs about a year after the release of "NLOTH". Quite similar to what they did with Zooropa after a leg of the tour. I kinda like this idea. :hyper:

Thoughts?

Well, its about time I let my ideas escape and run wild.

I think that after U2 complete their album and start their tour, they would have alot of supposed "amazing and innovative" songs so with them during a break after a leg of the tour they should make a release of a "small" album/EP of about 6-7 songs about a year after the release of "NLOTH". Quite similar to what they did with Zooropa after a leg of the tour. I kinda like this idea. :hyper:

Thoughts?

I like that idea. :up:

Anybody else?

I'm not sure. With the new album and the Spiderman project they may well feel that this is enough music from Bono & Edge for at least a couple of years.

Also with their repeated statements of only wanting to release a masterpiece I don't think they have the mind-set to release an EP/mini-album. I think U2 are well aware that a band of their stature should have more 'classic' albums to their name and are motivated to correct this (even if it means waiting what seems like an eternity).

Back
Top Bottom