Beach clip #1 - Moment of Surrender or NLOTH? *Discuss Clip 1 Here*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah this is great fun all this detective work!! I don't have the HQ (3:15) clip - would anyone be kind enough to forward it to me...?
My instinct is that Beach clip #1 is not NLOTH, I think the previous poster is correct in saying that the HQ (3:43) clip is actually two completely different tracks being picked up at once - very possible given the configuration of the studio.
I'm still 99% certain that the lyric "...on the horizon" can be heard in clip #4 at least 3 times.

Ah this is great fun all this detective work!! I don't have the HQ (3:15) clip - would anyone be kind enough to forward it to me...?
My instinct is that Beach clip #1 is not NLOTH, I think the previous poster is correct in saying that the HQ (3:43) clip is actually two completely different tracks being picked up at once - very possible given the configuration of the studio.
I'm still 99% certain that the lyric "...on the horizon" can be heard in clip #4 at least 3 times.

Yeah, the HQ one is defenitely Song4... not Song1

Whats your e-mail address and I'll send on the HQ clip

Just my take

1-NLOTH
a-there was the 3:43 clip which I did about everything I could do to clean up but it just wasn't going to happen. I can tell you what I think though. There is a harmony bit that sounds something like "There is no..." which also resembles the chanting "Oh-oh's" in clip1. This song also sounds like it has a different root key, although to argue this point would be precarious. However, the two similar harmonies are both sung in D, which gives the impression, especially if you are just listening to the clip as is, with the naked ear, that they are the same. If you listen to the structure of the song, they don't match.

NLOTH was also described as having heavy distortion guitars and a mellow title refrain. This was from a Jan 2008 article and the 'beach clip' 3:43 was recorded and leaked in Feb. This description seems to match the 3:43 clip, besides hearing 'No Line On The HOrizon' in the clip itself, I think it's a working song at that point. Lots of Bonogolese screaming (to me at least).

2-The Lanois Chant song
Appeared a good 8 months prior to the article and the leak, in the Lanois movie. Based on the comparisons of the Lanois film clip and song1, not only are these the same song, the backbone of this melodic section did not change. So, the NLOTH 3:43 clip, without this section, has no other real connnection to this song but.....

3-The solo
The Chant Song is older and seems to have remained unchanged in the 'chorus' bit (besides any unknown lyric changes). The 3:43 NLOTH in my opinion is a 'working song' or demo. The solo arrived out of those jams. It ended up not working in NLOTH.

They lifted the solo from the NLOTH "demos" and put it in the older Chant song's outro.

I don't know why on earth they would be playing two songs at once, that seems to make little sense to me. I've maintained all along that the harmony in the 3:43 NLOTH clip was devious in that if you weren't trying to compare the audio side by side (as I have) you could easily mistake them but the simple fact is, they don't match.

So, to propose that this song is NLOTH, you'd have to assume that they went from the melodic chant in the Lanois film (Summer 2007), then months later proceeded to add heavy guitars to it, and the melodic title refrain of NLOTH, only to back out and revert back to something closer to the film version and drop the heavy guitars and mellow title refrain altogether.

Or you could propose they went from that Feb 2008 3:43 of NLOTH to breaking them into two seperate songs altogether. Any of these two latter possibilities suggest that they would have scrapped elements of the original Lanois chant, which doesn't seem likely.

Or just simplify it. They liked the solo that was born out of working on NLOTH, decided to take NLOTH in a different direction and kept the solo and dropped it in the outro to the chant song. Two different songs, IMO.

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if the first line of this song is "It's six o'clock"

But the timing of the wooahh choruses in the HQ (3:43) clip - (as in when they happen relative to each other and the guitar solo coming in) appears to be exactly the same as this new clip#1 that we have. The "no line..." vocals and the screaming Bono sound totally unrelated - in places crashing over the top of the wooahh chorus section extremely clumsily... I believe that the guitar solo has always been part of the song that is now clip#1 and that the "no line..." and the strange yelling vocals were either being played in a different part of the studio or that it was some strange Eno experiment to see if the songs had any potential of fitting together...

This is not that complicated, honestly.

There is exactly one clip that says NLOTH in it.

It's 3:43 and you can barely make out anything else in the clip itself.
It's from Feb 2008 and apparently, it didn't make many rounds because it was so gravely inaudible.

The 3:15 clip is "Surface of your love/I'm Alive"
different song than the 4 Ben clips as well.

But the timing of the wooahh choruses - (as in when they happen relative to each other and the guitar solo coming in) appears to be exactly the same as this new clip#1 that we have. The "no line..." vocals and the screaming Bono sound totally unrelated - in places crashing over the top of the wooahh chorus section extremely clumsily... I believe that the guitar solo has always been part of the song that is now clip#1 and that the "no line..." and the strange yelling vocals were either being played in a different part of the studio or that it was some strange Eno experiment to see if the songs had any potential of fitting together...

I know what you mean, that NLOTH clip (3:43) is confusing as shit.

I'm just trying to go simple. I guess they could have been blasting two songs at the same time, but in terms of being efficient in the studio, that makes little sense to me.

It's from Feb 2008 and apparently, it didn't make many rounds because it was so gravely inaudible.

Ok, my question is... Song1 that is from Bens clips, is the same as the Lanois film... that is obvious. But are you saying since the time of the movie and this song1 surfacing... it has changed?

I really would like to be in on this debate but I do not have the "3:43" clip. I think it's the one I used to have but it was so terrible that I deleted it. Oops.

Could a kind soul send it to me so I can see what the controversy is all about?

james.gillice at gmail.com

Just before where he sings "Surface of your love/I'm Alive" IMO he sings Nooooo line on the horizooooon at 40 seconds.

Where about in the the 3.43 clip does he sing NLOTH, I'm finding it very hard to make out and lyrics in it, it sounds like two songs to me (3.43 clip).

I really would like to be in on this debate but I do not have the "3:43" clip. I think it's the one I used to have but it was so terrible that I deleted it. Oops.

Could a kind soul send it to me so I can see what the controversy is all about?

james.gillice at gmail.com

On it's way now

So where does the 3.15 HQ clip fit into all this, to me he clearly sings at 40 seconds 'NLOTH', this clip sounds nothing like clips 1-4. I don't think clip 1 is NLOTH.

OK.

Having listenned to it now (3:43), I really think it sounds like 2 songs playing. I have no idea why 2 songs would be played at the same time or if that's even the case but I think one of the main reasons that it's so hard to hear anything (besides a bad recording) is because there are 2 songs at the same time. The melody of the vocals just do not fit with the music I am hearing. One of the songs playing is Clip1 but there is something else going on there that does not fit with it.

He sings 'NLOTH' :hmm:again at 1.35 (HQ clip), maybe I'm going mad.

Someone send mgokelly the tweaked version I made.

I don't know where it is or I would upload it myself.

The title is U2 HQ May 17 (tweaked)
I sent it to about 20 people, so maybe someone will hook you up.

That or I'll find my copy and get it to you later on.

Someone send mgokelly the tweaked version I made.

I don't know where it is or I would upload it myself.

The title is U2 HQ May 17 (tweaked)
I sent it to about 20 people, so maybe someone will hook you up.

That or I'll find my copy and get it to you later on.

What do you hear at 40 seconds on the HQ clip, I can here the 'Surface of your love/I'm Alive' at about 47 seconds?:wave:

Back
Top Bottom