4th Single from NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm with Mikal that there probably won't be a 4th single but if there were I think White As Snow might have a chance. White As Snow in late November or December might not be a hit but considering the music played on the radio at the time I think it might get some play. I don't know about the rest of the world but Americans for the most part love Christmas music (which the song isn't but it is close enough to be played along with those songs.) :up:

I really do think UC is it. :shrug:

Sounds like updated, 00s version of what U2 does best ie too much like another Magnificent - and that song tanked like a ton of bricks. Given that Crazy didn't do much better, I'm reconsidering Breathe and/or NLOTH as the most obvious candidate.

Release a shortened version of MOS and hope like mad it's a song like WOWY or One that leaps into the mainstream out of nowhere.

The 4th single will tank, fact, no matter how good the song is. This is because 1 - the new chart system doesn't benefit u2 (ie downloads, younger audiences dominate etc), 2 - all the other singles off the album tanked, 3 - people aren't buying u2 singles much anymore (maybe not relevent), 4 - 4th singles from albums generally wont do as well as the first 3 (which tanked anyway) because the album has been out ages and people will already have the song, and finally 5 - the promotion for the last 3 singles has been poor and i doubt the 4th single will be promoted any better.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love u2 to release a 4th single off NLOTH, and I think they will, but even so, no matter what song it is, no matter how good the song is, it will definitely tank.

May aswell release White as snow as it's near xmas time, plus the film etc.

Right before Magnificent was announced as the new single I heard it played in the supermarket. Then, right before I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight was announced as the third single I heard it played in the supermarket. Tonight, I heard Moment of Surrender played in the supermarket. I have never heard any other NLOTH tracks played in the supermarket.

Does that prove anything? No, it doesn't, but I see the writing on the wall.....:hyper:

Right before Magnificent was announced as the new single I heard it played in the supermarket. Then, right before I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight was announced as the third single I heard it played in the supermarket. Tonight, I heard Moment of Surrender played in the supermarket. I have never heard any other NLOTH tracks played in the supermarket.

Does that prove anything? No, it doesn't, but I see the writing on the wall.....:hyper:
I hear a Magnificent remix played all the time in the UK...heard it in Starbuck's the other day

Interestingly, though, MOS has been getting by far the most airplay of any U2 song on KGSR here in Austin, which is one of the few stations here that plays U2 regularly, although that's only a couple of plays per day (out of maybe three to five total U2 songs played).

I'm skeptical now that EBW will be the lead single for SOA. They can't have thought it was better than the singles on NLOTH, or it would have been used there... and they haven't had a hit on NLOTH. So, I think the lead single from SOA hasn't been written yet.....:reject:

I'm skeptical now that EBW will be the lead single for SOA. They can't have thought it was better than the singles on NLOTH, or it would have been used there... and they haven't had a hit on NLOTH. So, I think the lead single from SOA hasn't been written yet.....:reject:

i actually think when they cut EBW from NLOTH, they did so thinking that the singles from NLOTH could carry that album, and that EBW would be the lead off single from SOA. Bono also said in a recent interview that he would like the band to release EBW next spring followed by the album.

i actually think when they cut EBW from NLOTH, they did so thinking that the singles from NLOTH could carry that album, and that EBW would be the lead off single from SOA. Bono also said in a recent interview that he would like the band to release EBW next spring followed by the album.

Yeah, I know. But the reaction to the NLOTH singles may have them re-thinking what a song would have to be to be a hit single...

I still believe we'll have another album within a year and EBW is likely to be A single. But the lead single? I'm less convinced now....

Yeah, I know. But the reaction to the NLOTH singles may have them re-thinking what a song would have to be to be a hit single...

I still believe we'll have another album within a year and EBW is likely to be A single. But the lead single? I'm less convinced now....

yeah, you never know. i do think they have about 1/2 to 2/3 of SOA done, and the recording they're doing in Vancouver will be new ideas that came to them while touring.

I hope it will be Breathe. It was going to be the first single in my opinion. It's one of the best songs from NLOTH.

With the three other singles being rock tracks and not performing up to the standards of the band, why go with a fourth in that vein instead of a curveball? That's why I don't think Breathe would make much sense. It would have made a good single early on like you said but not at this point.

Bono also said in a recent interview that he would like the band to release EBW next spring followed by the album.

Link, please?

BTW, there won't be a 4th single from NLOTH. But, as I think I said earlier in this thread, if there is a 4th single they are fools. Whatever it is will perform terribly in the charts. There is nothing close to a radio hit left on the album (there really wasn't even one to begin with).

Link, please?

BTW, there won't be a 4th single from NLOTH. But, as I think I said earlier in this thread, if there is a 4th single they are fools. Whatever it is will perform terribly in the charts. There is nothing close to a radio hit left on the album (there really wasn't even one to begin with).

it was in the Rolling Stone interview.

They should just release Moment of Surrender. Why not? Who cares if it tanks, they haven't done well on the singles charts so far. Just say fuck it, here it is, this is one of our best songs and if you don't like it, your loss.

Also Id like to add if U2 released NLOTH in 1991 and Achtung in 2009 with the same order of singles, I think the reactions would be basically the same. NLOTH would have been a huge masterpiece, pretty popular, MOS could have caught fire like One, whereas if U2 released the Fly in 2009 it'd have dropped off like Boots and subsequently no big hit single for U2 in 2009. And that's 100% fine. The album is awesome, people suck.

Also Id like to add if U2 released NLOTH in 1991 and Achtung in 2009 with the same order of singles, I think the reactions would be basically the same. NLOTH would have been a huge masterpiece, pretty popular, MOS could have caught fire like One, whereas if U2 released the Fly in 2009 it'd have dropped off like Boots and subsequently no big hit single for U2 in 2009. And that's 100% fine. The album is awesome, people suck.

I agree 100%!

:up: True, it has nothing to do with the music itself anymore. More with the people that listen to it.

Though I disagree on releasing MOS, mostly because I still fall asleep to the album version.

They should just release Moment of Surrender. Why not? Who cares if it tanks, they haven't done well on the singles charts so far. Just say fuck it, here it is, this is one of our best songs and if you don't like it, your loss.

it couldn't hurt. plus, it would be a good excuse for us to get more remixes or live songs on the cd single. :up:

good to see you back. i was wondering where you were just the other day. :wave:

^
This.

it couldn't hurt. plus, it would be a good excuse for us to get more remixes or live songs on the cd single. :up:

good to see you back. i was wondering where you were just the other day. :wave:

yeah, exactly. surprisingly the remixes for NLOTH have been nothing short of awesome. who knew that Crazy Tonight would transform into a live-remix highlight of the tour? And then the Magnificent and Crazy Tonight studio remixes are pretty great too.

thanks, I've been pretty busy the past couple of months. Saw 360 four times - the two Foxboro and NYC shows so that was a blast, and have just been busy with school this semester. easy, just a decent amount of work. How've you been? Hope everything is going well with you and your kid- I'm sure that's a lot of work but fun too. :wave:

I couldn't have said it better. :up:

yeah, exactly. surprisingly the remixes for NLOTH have been nothing short of awesome. who knew that Crazy Tonight would transform into a live-remix highlight of the tour? And then the Magnificent and Crazy Tonight studio remixes are pretty great too.

thanks, I've been pretty busy the past couple of months. Saw 360 four times - the two Foxboro and NYC shows so that was a blast, and have just been busy with school this semester. easy, just a decent amount of work. How've you been? Hope everything is going well with you and your kid- I'm sure that's a lot of work but fun too. :wave:

nice! i saw 1 show (Chicago 1), kind of disappointed that i gave in and looked at the setlists beforehand, but it was a good show.

can't wait for SOA!!

As confusing as U2 and their mgmt have been in the past with the release dates of singles, it woudln't surprise me if word of the 4th NLOTH single gets out that it'll be released in Feb'10.

doubtful, but would it really surprise anyone? It is odd that they gave out the 4 boxes or whatever for NLOTH, and it could be we only get 3 singles.

U2 should really go weird on everyone.

**U2.Com**

The 4th single from the hit album NLOTH is "Cedars Of Lebanon"

Excellent point Popacrobat. People just don't listen to real music anymore.

Back
Top Bottom