Time for a new thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pffft @ forgetting to credit the source at cricinfo

Australia's Test captain Steve Waugh received another honour today, but this time it was off the field, when he was made an Officer of the Order of Australia in the Queen's Birthday Honours List.

The award was not only for his services to Australian cricket, but also in recognition of his charity work for the Udayan orphanage in India.

Waugh is now Australia's most-capped player (160 Tests), and the scorer of most Test centuries for them with 30, and this award is the latest in a string of achievements in his long career.

Waugh, who inspired Australia's complete dominance of the world game, both in Tests and ODIs, has seen to it that the respect for all that Australian cricket represents has been maintained through the modern era of players. Few players have a feel for the game's past as Waugh does, and this latest honour is a reflection of the role he has played in ensuring the flame is carried from that past to the future not only on the field but in the maintenance of the game's traditions.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK

"I think we'll be scratchy and not that well-prepared" - Steve Waugh is worried ahead of Bangladesh's visit to Australia later this month.

Steve Waugh to retire ? next year in India
Wisden CricInfo staff - July 12, 2003

Steve Waugh has said that he would like to retire at the end of Australia's tour of India in 2004. He then intends to devote more time to Udayan, the Kolkata home for children of leprosy patients which he supports.

According to a report by The Press Trust of India, Waugh said in an interview in Sydney: "I would like to end my career in India." He has long described India as the "final frontier" for the Australian team to conquer, and swore after Australia's defeat in 2001 that he would be back to set the record straight.

That is not, however, reason for Khaled Mahmud and his boys to relax ? Waugh has not forgotten Bangladesh. "The India series is still a long way off," Waugh said, "and I am focussing on Bangladesh at the moment." One can imagine him rubbing his hands in glee as he says this.

For all the brutality Waugh inflicts on the cricket field, though, at heart he remains a softie. His support ? monetary and otherwise ? for Udayan has earned him immense respect in India. Waugh does not stop at charitable donations ? the girls' wing at Udayan was funded by him ? but visits the home regularly. He explained his commitment thus: "Udayan is my pursuit for life. It is not something you start and give up. I am committed to continued support to Udayan.

"We are soon going to start another school for 200 needy children," Waugh added. He admitted that despite being a celebrity, raising funds was a difficult matter, and said that "it would be good to get some funding from businesses in Australia and India".

Waugh had recently announced his plans to make a film based on Udayan, which has already been scripted, though, as of now, there is no director or producer. Waugh did not clarify rumours as to whether he would act in the film, but merely said, pithily, "I am a cricketer".

Until next year, when Australia come to India, he certainly is.

? Wisden CricInfo Ltd

:)

the man will always be an inspiration
and it's probably the right decision to make that tour in India his final one

just too bad that I'll never get to see him in action
but he's still my fave sportman of any century anyway :up:

Steve Waugh is brilliant because of his skill as captain. He's a great player for sure, but even better as captain. Taylor sucked curds and should've been sacked or stepped down long before Waugh took over. It was ridiculous that Mark Waugh got the boot after 6 or something really bad matches when Taylor was having a Barry Crocker for about 18 months. Steve Waugh's the best captain we've had since Allan Border picked the team up from absolute shambles in the 80's when even NZ would beat us in tests. We've got a whole bunch of fantastic players, but to utilise that we need a fantastic captain otherwise we flounder.

steve waugh is on strike...on 49....gets it away for one..and thats his 50 :applaud: c'mon 50 more steve....and thats 100 againts every Test playing country

for some reason my focus is on England - South Africa

(england are supposed to "play" in that test, right?)

Back
Top Bottom