What Popmart Regular Song Do You Miss The Most?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IanIinTheSky

Acrobat
Hello All,

I was just wondering what regularly played song from Popmart that has never been heard live again, do you miss the most?

MOFO
Last Night on Earth
Miami
If You Wear That Velvet Dress

I suppose If God Will Send His Angels, could also be included but it wasn't as much of a staple as those four.

MOFO and LNOE are definitely my top 2.

Of the regulars, Last Night On Earth, by a good margin!

One of their better studio to live improvements, always rocked hard.

I miss the PopMart version of Mysterious Ways (cause it has the slide solo and edge gets all funky)

But as for Pop songs, any song is a winner from that album.

Mofo
Last Night on Earth
Please
Discotheque

Not a regular song but I'm also gonna say 'Do You Feel Loved'. I think they should've tried at some point to get that working live rather than just giving up on it.

LNOE and Please, mostly. LNOE would've worked great at the HMTMKMKM/Ultraviolet-spot and Please perhaps replacing Scarlet or right after One.

Didn't see that tour, but I'd love to have seen Mofo or LNOE played live at the 360 shows. I'd throw Gone in there too, but I guess that was technically played post-Popmart, so yeah.

Mofo
Last Night on Earth
Please
Discotheque

Not a regular song but I'm also gonna say 'Do You Feel Loved'. I think they should've tried at some point to get that working live rather than just giving up on it.

I wish Do You Feel Loved was given a fair chance. I thought it was one of the few bright spots from the opening night show.

They played Disco on Elevation and Vertigo Tours. Thread is about stuff from Pop that hasn't been played since Popmart.

Yeah, though they've also played 'Please' during Elevation as well. So I guess we'll strike that one from the list too.

I wish Do You Feel Loved was given a fair chance. I thought it was one of the few bright spots from the opening night show.

It could actually be my favorite off the Pop album. But based on those performances, it didn't sound all that strong in a live setting (imo).

But like you said, given a fair chance or shake-up, it might be worth hearing at some point. Six shows seems like a small amount anyway.

Please could have replaced Sunday Bloody Sunday for the 2010/2011 shows. Even a Bono & Edge Staring at the Sun or Wake Up Dead Man would have worked. My ultimate hope is that one day they'll bring back If You Wear That Velvet Dress...I love that song.

Please would be awesome. I didn't mind the acoustic version, but I didn't think there was anything wrong at all with the full band. I loved the Please into Streets segway.

I'll tell you what- if they do decide to bring a POP song back, they need to give it the Ultraviolet treatment. They need to go full force and make it stand out. It needs to grab you by the balls- light show, Bono singing and really selling it, etc..

The recurring theme in the popularity of the hits of the last decade are that when the songs are played live, Bono sells it. He's in the emotion. He's singing, jumping, playing, dramatizing.

In my opinion the the biggest reason POP and NLOTH were relative commercial let downs was that the songs didn't really lend themselves to the theatrics. Or, they made a conscious effort not to pull much theatrics. Most songs were sung pretty straightforward from the stage.

Ultraviolet is a pretty obscure song- you don't know it unless you're a committed fan. Same for Unforgettable Fire. (I don't know if it was big when it came out but it falls in the same obscure category as Ultraviolet now).

Ultraviolet got the "works". Awesome lighting, light jacket, steering wheel, band playing the shit out of it while Bono sold it.

UF just got a cool screen effect. No theatrics. Nothing selling it like UV.

UV stayed for almost a whole tour and got rave reviews. UF quietly disappeared.

If they play a song from POP I think Please could kick some ass as it did on POPMART. None of this acoustic stuff!

I'll tell you what- if they do decide to bring a POP song back, they need to give it the Ultraviolet treatment. They need to go full force and make it stand out. It needs to grab you by the balls- light show, Bono singing and really selling it, etc..

The recurring theme in the popularity of the hits of the last decade are that when the songs are played live, Bono sells it. He's in the emotion. He's singing, jumping, playing, dramatizing.

In my opinion the the biggest reason POP and NLOTH were relative commercial let downs was that the songs didn't really lend themselves to the theatrics. Or, they made a conscious effort not to pull much theatrics. Most songs were sung pretty straightforward from the stage.

Ultraviolet is a pretty obscure song- you don't know it unless you're a committed fan. Same for Unforgettable Fire. (I don't know if it was big when it came out but it falls in the same obscure category as Ultraviolet now).

Ultraviolet got the "works". Awesome lighting, light jacket, steering wheel, band playing the shit out of it while Bono sold it.

UF just got a cool screen effect. No theatrics. Nothing selling it like UV.

UV stayed for almost a whole tour and got rave reviews. UF quietly disappeared.

If they play a song from POP I think Please could kick some ass as it did on POPMART. None of this acoustic stuff!

I was going to say... did you have any ideas which song from Pop could lend itself to this idea, or would Please be the only one that has a shot in your opinion? We don't know what the tour would be like and everything, but it's worth the brainstorming in the meantime!

Valid points all-around, btw.

Back
Top Bottom