U2 wisthing Willie Nelson Happy Birthday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fantastic. Thanks so much for posting the link.

She left with my conscience, but I don't want it back. It just gets in the way.

To think that this all came in the middle of the Pop era (by which I mean their versatility shines through). They're not a bad band after all, are they?

U2 have released never before seen footage of Slow Dancing, the video was made by Lian Lunson and features a version of the song with Nelson on lead vocals that seems to be new or is at least new to me:

U2 > News > Happy Birthday Willie!

It is a great song and I've always loved this duet.
This version isn't new BTW, it was recorded during the Pop era and was released as a B-side on the If God Will Send His Angels single. It was also included on the Duals fanclub CD of a couple of years ago.

It is a great song and I've always loved this duet.
This version isn't new BTW, it was recorded during the Pop era and was released as a B-side on the If God Will Send His Angels single. It was also included on the Duals fanclub CD of a couple of years ago.

:up:

yep not new, i've got the If God Will Send His Angels single here somewhere

Yeah and the video footage has been around for a few years too. Maybe there wasn't a good quality copy out on YT before though.

Funny fact only a true fan would notice

This video is obviously from 1997/1998, clearly from the Pop era.
Around minute 3:00 you can notice a bookstand in front of Willie Nelson, on which back there's the ZOO TV logo.

Great look for Bono though

Funny fact only a true fan would notice

This video is obviously from 1997/1998, clearly from the Pop era.
Around minute 3:00 you can notice a bookstand in front of Willie Nelson, on which back there's the ZOO TV logo.

Great look for Bono though

You can sure say that again! :up:

Slow Dancing is such a wonderful little song. I wish it hadn't done so poorly in survivor just now.

Yes, they recorded it with just Bono on vocals. Someone correct me, but I think it is from the Stay single....right? What a great version.

U2 have released never before seen footage of Slow Dancing, the video was made by Lian Lunson and features a version of the song with Nelson on lead vocals that seems to be new or is at least new to me:

U2 > News > Happy Birthday Willie!

Great, great song. Willie's voice is really perfect for it.

Good work Bono. You wrote a gem of a tune.

U2 mastering country music. Who knew?

And this is one of the greatest albums and album covers of all time:

willie_nelson_shotgun_willie.jpg

Great, great song. Willie's voice is really perfect for it.

Good work Bono. You wrote a gem of a tune.

U2 mastering country music. Who knew?

I just noticed there is a new 'episode' of the U2 Playlist feature at U2.com with Lian Lunson. One of the songs on her playlist is Slow Dancing. Her comments are quite interesting regarding the mutual admiration between Bono and Willie and how the song/duet came about.

One of the first things Bono and I had in common was our love for Elvis and our love for Willie Nelson. It was 1988 and I took Michael Hutchence over to meet Bono at the Sunset Marquis Hotel. It was that same night, in the early hours of the morning, down at the piano in the lobby, Bono hummed a tune which was just gorgeous.
‘Wow, what’s that song, how come I love that song so much?’
He said, ‘You love that song Lian because I wrote it for Willie Nelson.’
I said ‘What happened to it?’
Bono said, ‘Nothing happened...’
I said, ‘Why?’
He said, ‘Can you imagine some upstart rock star sends one of the greatest songwriters of our time a song... Willie didn’t respond.’
Cut to years later. I'd been asked to make a video for Willie Nelson but he was on tour and the record company gave me some options of where I could shoot it. They mentioned Dublin. 'Oh Dublin? I could shoot it there’. I was on the phone with Willie’s manager, he had no idea that I knew Bono or the band and he brought up the song. He said, ‘You know Bono wrote Willie Nelson this beautiful song, and Willie just always waited, hoping to be able to do it with him one day. ‘Oh really?’ I hung the phone up, called Bono right away. I said ‘Do you remember that song?’ Then I went to Dublin right away.
I met Willie for the first time and said, ‘Hey do you want to come and meet U2 at their studio and have dinner?’ Willie was like, ‘Sure’. The band were like schoolboys, so nervous, Bono finally brought up the song. ‘Hey, Willie do you remember that song?’ I’ll never forget the big smile that washed over Willie Nelson’s face. I had my camera guy downstairs in the pub, just in case. The rest is history.
I love that recording. It is filled with nervousness, anticipation, hesitation, mistakes, shyness and beauty. I never liked the Brian Eno mix (sorry Brian). The irony is after Bono telling me about that song all those years ago, I was the one to bring Willie Nelson to his door.

Back
Top Bottom